Ravens NOT signing WR Ryan Grant - failed physical pg 5

M.10.E

Seriously, I go in here as well as twitter yesterday and ask everyone to calm their nerves, because we don't go out and overspend in free agency and throw doollars at the big names.

I go to sleep for 6 hours, and wake up to this.

Thats just not ok

This draft class is loaded with the same type of receiver. I don't know why they did this! KeKe Coutee?, Trey Quinn?, GTFO of here. This team has good depth at multiple key positions, CB, DI, G, EDGE. What would be so wrong with us just loading up on some receivers in the DRAFT?

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Let me try to work backwards here. In order to be worth this contract, given the rising salaries at he position, Ryan Grant would need to be like one of the better number 2 WRs in the NFL. So a guy who gets 750-900 yards a year. He's never had more than a 4 game stretch at that level. I guess maybe it has SOME chance of happening, with improvement and increased usage. He seems to have some quickness and hands.

The decision to make that bet is just bad though. Why not just project with an actual draft pick. It's clear that they wanted guys with speed/quickness instead of the normal guys we get who played at a high level but have lost a step. It's again the type of thing we should have gambled on with draft prospects. It's basically like we are signing older draft picks. That's fine and even good for 1 yr 5M, but for 4 yrs 29m...

I'm a bit shocked by the numbers on this.  I will suggest that we wait to see full structure, though, as the Hurst deal was significantly over-reported w/r/t guarantees.

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I'm a bit shocked by the numbers on this.  I will suggest that we wait to see full structure, though, as the Hurst deal was significantly over-reported w/r/t guarantees.

Wouldn't matter. We're talking about Ryan Grant here. Anything is bad. Really bad.

I just want to say, taking a step back. As a guy who probably knows a little more about Ryan Grant than your average NFL fan due to the countless hours of research I put in during fantasy football season (lol), I actually like him as a player. And even from the perspective of what he did on the field and how he looks in games, he's a good/reliable receiver with the potential to do more given an expanded role and higher target volume. With that said, no amount of water in the world could turn that awful contract into a glass half full situation. I get that wide receivers have been getting PAID this offseason, but I find it HIGHLY dubious that we couldn't of had Ryan Grant for cheaper than 4 years at 29M.

It's kind of funny how we always seem to mostly get one type of receiver every time we reset. First old, slow, but great possession guys. Didn't work in Cam Cameron's run a straight line offense? Let's try size/speed burners. Didn't work in a super short throw offense? Let's try small quick guys now.

Archived