Jets sign LB Avery Williamson

Bianconero

Just now, rickyt31 said:

Glad to see Macc making moves right on time. Good pick up. I liked Davis, but this is a great replacement. Adams is now the vocal leader on defense. Our secondary and run defense just got better. 

On more CB and maybe some DL depth and I am happy with where our D is.  I'd say sign an edge guy but there are really none to be signed.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

On more CB and maybe some DL depth and I am happy with where our D is.  I'd say sign an edge guy but there are really none to be signed.

I agree. I wouldn't mind claiborne now. Sign him to a short deal and see if one of the young CBs can beat him. 

We really do need to add help on the Dline. Need a run stopper that can open things up for our LBs. 

10 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Glad to see Macc making moves right on time. Good pick up. I liked Davis, but this is a great replacement. Adams is now the vocal leader on defense. Our secondary and run defense just got better. 

Precisely, his path to becoming our Dawkins is well underway already.

Williams just turned 26 last week and was the top free-agent inside linebacker on the market. A 59-game starter for the Titans the last four seasons since being drafted in the fifth round, Williamson had a breakout 2017, grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 3 inside linebacker, behind only Luke Kuechly and Bobby Wagner. Williamson received elite marks for his run defense.

From what I'm gathering, may be the reason they chose to go with Williamson as opposed to Davis... not only is Davis older and was asking for more money, but he was the leader of the defense and played nearly every snap as well as made defensive calls. I sense a changing of the guard... they'll likely use a rotation at LB, but Lee will play on 3rd downs and Jamal Adams may be tasked with making the defensive calls instead. Also could see more 4-1-6 with one of the safeties dropping down into the box, which we didn't do at all last year but have in years past. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

From what I'm gathering, may be the reason they chose to go with Williamson as opposed to Davis... not only is Davis older and was asking for more money, but he was the leader of the defense and played nearly every snap as well as made defensive calls. I sense a changing of the guard... they'll likely use a rotation at LB, but Lee will play on 3rd downs and Jamal Adams may be tasked with making the defensive calls instead. Also could see more 4-1-6 with one of the safeties dropping down into the box, which we didn't do at all last year but have in years past. 

Adams is going to have a bigggg year

I'd like to add Mathieu to that secondary to beef it up even more for these sets

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

Williamson turned down a 4/$12M from the Titans earlier this offseason

Hopefully our deal comes in around 4/$18M at most

For whatever it's worth, that 4/$12 offer has been shot down by most of the local guys. Most of us were expecting him to get anywhere from $7-9 million per year. Anything under $5 million per would be a great deal.

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

For whatever it's worth, that 4/$12 offer has been shot down by most of the local guys. Most of us were expecting him to get anywhere from $7-9 million per year. Anything under $5 million per would be a great deal.

Now I hope the same 4/12m.

27 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

We just need talent and have money. So most of us don’t care about the money he’d command.

Archived