Did the Eagles miss their window to trade Foles?

JaguarCrazy2832

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

FIFY

On topic though, Foles isn't going anywhere until the preseason at earliest. Wentz may or may not be ready to start the year. Someone is going to settle for a QB in the draft that they aren't so excited about or someone is going to wind up pulling a Kizer and showing poorly over the summer. Someone is going to go down with an injury or show up with noodle arm. 

The Eagles aren't pressed to trade him yet. And honestly, his value only goes up post-draft and continues through to the beginning of the season. If Foles starts the preseason and shows well, his stock is even higher. First few games of the season? Add a bit more. And a team with a need for a starter in the early weeks of the season makes them more desperate than they would be during regular FA and before the draft. The Eagles can keep him (and imo, should because if Wentz goes down, who else is there?) and just wait for the optimum deal for them to fall into place. 

Cardinals, Chargers, Chiefs (to a much lesser extent, I suppose), Ravens, Dolphins, Bills, and Jaguars all still have glaring ?'s at QB1 or QB2. And most of them don't appear in a position to nab one of the stud QBs in the Draft.

Cards- Bradford is an injury waiting to happen

Chargers- Rivers is up there in age, they have no solid backup, they're too good overall to simply tank because Rivers goes down.

Chiefs- Mahomes is still an unknown, but more importantly, who's his backup? Foles and Reid have history.

Ravens- picking later in the Draft. Apparently they're frustrated with Flacco. No backup either.

Dolphins- Tannehill is a fringe starter and coming off of an injury. Cutler Fales at every turn. Doughty is backup caliber at best. Moore may finally goes elsewhere. Probably comes down to whether they see Foles > Moore. 

Bills- may be angling up to draft a guy. Still need a solid backup or bridge QB.

Jaguars- I'm still not sold on them wanting to roll with Bortles. 

And that list doesn't take all the teams with franchise starters but lackluster backups into account since injuries are unforeseen. So, no, I don't think the window to trade Foles has closed at all. 

Boy, it sure is nice to see a list like that one and finally not seeing the Vikings on it.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think the Eagles missed their window because the asking price was way too high. Props to teams for not caving in on that. As others have mentioned, I could see him being moved at a lower cost during camp if someone gets hurt.

That guy who uses the photo of Peter Dinklage (forget his name) will likely be on here to deliver an impassioned defense of Foles.

Image result for peter dinklage

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Teams came asking I think the eagles fully intend to keep Nick to potentially start the first month of the season next year. 

Yup. Them asking for a first plus is like the opposite of putting him on the trading block.

They missed their window when their price started with the words “1st round pick...” let alone the word “AND”.  

Personally given Wentz’s risk of injury when he returns will be higher than it was when Foles signed the Eagles probably didn’t really want to trade him anyways.   Thus the ridiculous price.  

I think it would've taken a lot to pry him away, I don't think they are mad nobody chose to get him instead of kinda just spinning the wheels for a season or two on guys like Mccarron, Bradford or Keenum

They set a reasonably price considering the uncertainty it left them with and what he did in in the biggest stages..

I know some national people said the Eagles dumbed down the offense for him, but that's a total mischaracterization.
They leaned into what he did well but we still ran our offense...same stuff we did with Wentz.

They saw what happened by having Foles, saw what happened in Green Bay, in Indy....when you don't invest in a backup when you contend you are dooming yourself and wasting the season potentially. They value the backup QB in philly now more than some starters elsewhere I'm sure.

Vikings were dumb enough to set the asking price when they wanted Sammy Sleeves. And I get the logic of "this guy looked better, performed better, and actually has done something in his career" compared to Bradford, so why wouldn't it at least be the same?

Like someone said he still could move if a starter goes down elsewhere later on, allows the medicals on Wentz to be more clear too.

Archived