Carlos Hyde to sign for Browns

AustrianNiner

Damn, RB's just don't get paid now a days.

I'm surprised by this move from the Browns. I really thought it'd made perfect sense to go Barkley #1 and then QB at 4. I've read that they're looking to extend Johnson. Felt like him and Barkley could be dynamic, paired with those WRs. I'm oddly excited to watch the Browns offense next year.

I guess if you have the money, spend it.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Carlos Hyde should not stop them from drafting Barkley.

I agree - dynasty fantasy owners would be crying in their Corn Flakes though.   

Would make it harder for them to justify Barkley at 1.1.   Imagine putting your 1.1 pick in a RB rotation. O.o

Just now, Broncofan said:

I agree - dynasty fantasy owners would be crying in their Corn Flakes though.   

Would make it harder for them to justify Barkley at 1.1.   Imagine putting your 1.1 pick in a RB rotation. O.o

True, and I wonder if Hyde signed on knowing he'd be second fiddle.

27 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Damn, RB's just don't get paid now a days.

I'm surprised by this move from the Browns. I really thought it'd made perfect sense to go Barkley #1 and then QB at 4. I've read that they're looking to extend Johnson. Felt like him and Barkley could be dynamic, paired with those WRs. I'm oddly excited to watch the Browns offense next year.

I guess if you have the money, spend it.

First disclaimer - I loooove Barkley.  I only think you should spend a 1st on RB if he’s a generational talent true HoF material not just top of class.   Zeke and Gurley are the only 2 other RB I would have said should go early.  No one else not MG3 or CMac or Fournette.  The position is that replaceable and often so short lived.  But Barkley belongs in that select group hands down. 

But if CLE extends Johnson and do this then Dorsey should be fired if he took Barkley even 1:4.  Why?  Because you take a RB that early to be your 3-down workhorse and pass weapon.  Bell DJ and Zeke all do it (Zeke year 2 more so).   Getting Hyde alone shouldn’t exclude a Barkley signing but extending Duke would mean they aren’t going to use Barkley in that role.   Then it’s waste of resources.  

I like Hyde but this seems like a waste of resources if they are still on Barkley.  If they aren’t on Barkley even for 1.4 - man I don’t know that it gives me confidence in Dorsey.  RB is replaceable enough if I’m worried I don’t get Barkley at 1.4 then 2.1 likely gets me a RB just as good as Hyde but younger and cheaper and less mileage.    Then you have no logjam.  And you still keep your optimal lineup construction options available if Barkley is there at 1.4 but have a decent backup plan at 2.1 - 2.4 for RB if Barkley goes 1.2 or 1.3.   Really curious decision.  

The only conclusion that makes sense is they are off Barkley completely at 1.4 too.   If that’s the case the top 5 draft order just got a LOT more interesting.   This has to lock in CLE to QB 1.1 now.  

I will tip my cap to those that said Dorsey wouldn’t go RB Rd1.   By all the tea leaves they look to be right.  

I actually agree with RB agnostics who say wait on RB - unless the guy is special HoF ceiling talent.   Not even Fournette makes the cut (although it was close).  But to me Barkley does.  So time will tell if Dorsey makes the right call with who he takes with at Barkley 1.4 over Barkley if he falls that far (or CLE’s 1.1 & 1.4 versus Barkley/QB available if Barkley goes 1.2 or 1.3).

Archived