Jaguars sign CB DJ Hayden

9 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

yes but im pretty sure everyone knew tyrann was likely gonna be cut or restructured.  i would have gambled a few days. hayden isnt a cant miss signing.  hell i would rather have duke dawson at Slot. 

Who?

Also it wasnt exactly a slam dunk HB signs here

18 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

yes but im pretty sure everyone knew tyrann was likely gonna be cut or restructured.  i would have gambled a few days. hayden isnt a cant miss signing.  hell i would rather have duke dawson at Slot. 

We have a loaded secondary. I don't think he would have liked coming in unless he was guaranteed a starting FS type role. He wouldn't have got that here.

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Duke Dawson whos considered a 3rd round guy in the draft who played for florida. 

he wanted to win and he wanted to be on a great D.  what do we have a Great D and we win games. 

Yes but he has missed 2 or more games in 4 of his 5 seasons and also signing him likely means cutting someone else who already has proven to mesh well. HB wasnt gonna ride the bench

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

they still have Kevin Johnson and Kareem jackson and Jonathan Josepth along with Colvin, Bademosi, Campbell, Hal. thats not bad. 

Yes, yes it is.

Jackson is decent. Joseph is on his last legs. Kevin Johnson has largely been a bust. The rest you listed are nickels/depth and not good starters.

Their secondary has MUCH more opportunity than ours. We had one of the better secondaries in the NFL this past season, mainly because of Ramsey and Bouye, but the safety play was good, especially Gip. There's no reason to move on/alter that for an injury prone player who has taken a bit of a step back the last couple years in Arizona.

He's a fine player, but if it meant cutting Gip to get him, no thanks.

On 25/03/2018 at 6:58 PM, .Buzz said:

Yes, yes it is.

Jackson is decent. Joseph is on his last legs. Kevin Johnson has largely been a bust. The rest you listed are nickels/depth and not good starters.

Their secondary has MUCH more opportunity than ours. We had one of the better secondaries in the NFL this past season, mainly because of Ramsey and Bouye, but the safety play was good, especially Gip. There's no reason to move on/alter that for an injury prone player who has taken a bit of a step back the last couple years in Arizona.

He's a fine player, but if it meant cutting Gip to get him, no thanks.

Yeah.  In a vacuum, Mathieu can be a playmaker.  But i don't really see a great fit here, for him...or for us, considering what we'd be paying him.  No reason to gamble on taking out Gip, who was more than solid in the FS role of arguably the best secondary in the league and a more traditional fit in the first place.  Nor is Mathieu a particularly great fit at NB for us here...where i think they pretty clearly want a guy with some more size/length in the spot.

I can see being a bit disappointed that we couldn't keep Colvin around.  And if we were going to spend big on a NB guy, that's what i'd have wanted to see.  But he wanted to cash in with multiple years, making in non-feasible.  Being disappointed we didn't sign the Honey Badger though...it sounds more like the sort of "name chasing" this team used to do, rather than any kind of really solid football move.  Fit is important.

I do hope they invest in a viable "Plan B" behind Hayden though.  Presumably in the draft i guess?

Archived