49ers Signing Jerick McKinnon

Broncofan

7 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

letting go of Hyde for McKinnon? not sure how i'd fell about that as a 49ers fan.

Given what Shamahan looks for in a RB I get it.  Do it all guy with home run threat and great pass catcher.  Breida splits work in a 70/30 timeshare to keep McKinnon fresh.   Think Freeman - Coleman combo with McKinnon in Freeman role but less inside running chops but bigger home run threat.  Best if you only give him 10-15 carries but 6-8 catches.   

Love this for McKinnon in fantasy.   PPR top 10 RB potential even without being a workhorse (not who he is).  

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given what Shamahan looks for in a RB I get it.  Do it all guy with home run threat and great pass catcher.  Breida splits work in a 70/30 timeshare to keep McKinnon fresh.   Think Freeman - Coleman combo with McKinnon in Freeman role but less inside running chips but bigger home run threat 

Love this for McKinnon in fantasy.   PPR top 10 RB potential even without being a workhorse (not who he is).  

I really wanted us to keep Hyde, but I gotta trust that these guys are making the right choices.

1 hour ago, mrscottso said:

I really wanted us to keep Hyde, but I gotta trust that these guys are making the right choices.

Hyde is great for a power scheme.  CLE is a great fit.  But he’s also been hurt has mileage and his pass catching is ok but he’s not a natural threat.  If his back is to the LOS he’s fine for screens.  Swing and wheel routes he isn’t good at.   When Shanahan put his scheme in Hyde became a bad fit.   Shanahan wants natural pass catchers who can threaten the pass each down.  It actually sets up the run better by keeping the LB and edge setters away from line crashing mode.   

Mckinnon kills those pass routes.  And his running skills keep improving.  He’s excellent in pass pro.  He has almost no mileage and ppl forget he has only one year of college RB experience being a converted QB.  So he learned the RB job in the NFL.  

Most RB are past their peak after the rookie deal.  McKinnon is at his peak just now with the above in mind.  He needs to be used properly but with the Shanahan scheme he fits like a glove.  Just don’t use him as a power runner and watch the results.  

The $ is too much though just because RB is so devalued.  But the choice on talent / scheme fit I totally get it.  

Archived