Irving gets 2nd Round Tender

textaz03

Well expected. Its a good tender for him. Gets him paid a bit, with a cap number well manageable for a player capable of a 7-10 sack season 

Im betting the second round compensation scares off most teams as well. And if someone does decide its worth it for them...mmmm more ammo to trade up fod a player of choice.

The first round tender would’ve locked him down for sure, but it’s probably not likely that anyone is willing to cough up a second rounder and a big contract to him given his suspension history and assorted dumbness.

If anyone were to, I’d think it’d be a team with excess cap space and draft picks (Browns, Jets, etc) that has the ability to “poison pill” the deal by frontloading it. But our FO would probably consider that a win given how high a pick in the 2nd those teams have.

We should also keep in mind that Irving, much like Lawrence, may be willing to bet on himself and play this out. That’d be ideal.

2 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I don't hate it. I actually did the same in the TCMD mock. 

At least, unless someone bites, he isn't going anywhere and has another year to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

My eyes tell me hes no fluke. His get off is the best on this teams line, and he plays withgreat leverage. And he is a gritty fighter, pushing and fighting through blocks. He can improve his footwork and overall football instincts, but from a pure football playing ability standpoint this guy, all things considered now and in hindsight, could have been a first round pick.

He's a great player on the field and wish we'd have him here long term, but our coaching staff hates him for some reason.

If someone bites I'd let him walk for the 2nd round pick just because I think he's gone after this year anyways.

Question: if someone offers him a big deal and we let him walk, would we get their 2nd this year + potentially a comp pick next year?

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

The Jones will look smart if they can keep him. And absolutely morons if someone does cough that up for him. For some reason I have a bad feeling someone like Billicheck might go after him. 

Why would we look like morons if someone takes him? You wouldn't take a 2nd for a player who is gone next year anyways?

12 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

He's a great player on the field and wish we'd have him here long term, but our coaching staff hates him for some reason.

If someone bites I'd let him walk for the 2nd round pick just because I think he's gone after this year anyways.

Question: if someone offers him a big deal and we let him walk, would we get their 2nd this year + potentially a comp pick next year?

If someone signs him to an offer sheet, and we don't match, we will get the 2nd rounder this year only. nothing else

I've come around to the thinking of hoping someone takes him for a 2nd. If it is true he doesn't want to sign a long term deal and he wants 17+ a year...I am not comfortable committing that much to him. A comp pick would net at max a third. A second, especially in this draft, is a considerable upgrade.

Would that pick be for this year's draft?

If so, this is win/win. We would have a great deal of ammo to move back into the 1st round and take 2 players of our choice to help this team. You all know my feelings on the front office and how behind they are with the new direction of the NFL. With that said, and a few gambles aside (J. Smith/R. Gregory), they have drafted well in the recent past.

Just now, Rtnldave said:

Would that pick be for this year's draft?

If so, this is win/win. We would have a great deal of ammo to move back into the 1st round and take 2 players of our choice to help this team. You all know my feelings on the front office and how behind they are with the new direction of the NFL. With that said, and a few gambles aside (J. Smith/R. Gregory), they have drafted well in the recent past.

Yes, this year.

All depends on where the 2nd round pick is. 

Someone like Cleveland or the Jets, take it.

A team like NE, at the end of the draft where it is basically a third round pick, would not be ideal.

Archived