Irving gets 2nd Round Tender

textaz03

28 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Good. This is what I wanted. I hope someone offers and we don't match.

Question... what if someone offers him a really team friendly deal? Does Irving have accept or... what?

He can pursue any team he wants. They offer him a contract which he signs (offer sheet). Cowboys then have 3 days to match the offer. If we match (he has no say in it) we keep him on roster at that contract. If we decline the offer, we immediately get that teams current 2nd round pick.

25 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This is a dumb move. 

I can understand the sentiment - he js a first round caliber player considering his track record, productiin, athleticism and potential, along with his age.

But the cap number jumps 2mil more for a first rounder, and that can be a lot for a team needing extra space right now. And while a second round tender is a gamble, im betting with his suspension history he is too much a liability to most teams for that high of a pick in compensation. And considering it would still be a decent pick likwly in the top 50 and at worst in the top 62, it would be good ammunition to move where we would want for whomever we want should someone take him from us.

33 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We have a 24 year old, athletic freak, pass rusher who was completely unblockable last year.  He should be one of the most valuable cornerstone pieces in the NFL. A second round tender for him is so dumb. Not even close to worth the risk to save a couple of bucks.

He has no long term future here.

Are you telling me you wouldn't trade 1 year of Irving for 4 years of Josh Sweat/Arden Key/Derrick Nnadi/Tim Settle/name a 2nd round DL here?

Keep in mind we're a .500 team with a garbage coaching staff and nowhere near a contender when you answer that question.

27 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Are you telling me you wouldn't trade 1 year of Irving for 4 years of Josh Sweat/Arden Key/Derrick Nnadi/Tim Settle/name a 2nd round DL here?

Keep in mind we're a .500 team with a garbage coaching staff and nowhere near a contender when you answer that question.

I don't let unicorn pass rushers walk away from my franchise if I'm running it. 

Obviously you are correct that the Cowboys don't think he has a long-term future here. That's exactly my point. That's exactly what makes them dumb.

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Obviously you are correct that the Cowboys don't think he has a long-term future here. That's exactly my point. That's exactly what makes them dumb.

I agree with you, I love David Irving and would keep him around long term if I could. Unfortunately we can't change the bolded.

So knowing that, you give him the lesser 2nd round tender and hope some team bites. If no other team bites, you saved yourself $1.2 million to go spend elsewhere (yeah right)

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

perhaps the logic that no one is even mentioning is this, maybe he doesn't want to be in Dallas??? If he don't want to be here, I wouldn't want him here. Get what I can for him and if that is 2nd rounder, so be it.

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

perhaps the logic that no one is even mentioning is this, maybe he doesn't want to be in Dallas??? If he don't want to be here, I wouldn't want him here. Get what I can for him and if that is 2nd rounder, so be it.

Mike Fisher is reporting the opposite. That we are taking advantage of his loyalty and desire to play for the Cowboys, by giving him a 2nd round tender and betting he won't sign elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mike Fisher is reporting the opposite. That we are taking advantage of his loyalty and desire to play for the Cowboys, by giving him a 2nd round tender and betting he won't sign elsewhere.

its a tough call and hard to say. but that's life in the NFL and with the Cowboys themselves. Jerry loves to gamble for sure

7 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You and I can agree that his value - given the position - easily warrents a first.

But let me ask this. If you are convinced Dallas does not trust him enough to ever sign him long term and sooner (next year) rather than later he will walk. What would you prefer:

Keep him for a year and get a 3rd round comp pick in 2 years (assuming we don't sign anyone comparable).

Let him walk for a 2nd this year.

Now this is only in the condition that we really don't feel like keeping him long term.

37 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

No long term future? He could possibly be THE future of this team. He is only getting better. He is an absolute freak of an athlete with the ability to disrupt the offennsive backfield every single down. 

No, I would not trade off Irving for a complete unknown. Yes, you list some good prospects. But none of them are a given succeas story. All of them can be a bust. Irving is a first round talent had for dirt cheap that we already know is good and can get better. 

Would you trade your yearly salary for a 50/50 chance at much less or much more? No matter how it turns out you have to live with it, even if it ends up bwing much much less.

I doubt you would.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We have a 24 year old, athletic freak, pass rusher who was completely unblockable last year.  He should be one of the most valuable cornerstone pieces in the NFL. A second round tender for him is so dumb. Not even close to worth the risk to save a couple of bucks.

It's not really that dumb.   Think about it.   If he gets a 1st round tender, it's likely no one offers him a contract.    If he agrees to a contract with someone now,  it's more likely he signs a shorter deal, whereas if he had another good year,  he would be looking for a 5-7 year huge deal.    Stephen Jones can get a peak into how other teams value him. 

9 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

No long term future? He could possibly be THE future of this team. He is only getting better. He is an absolute freak of an athlete with the ability to disrupt the offennsive backfield every single down. 

No, I would not trade off Irving for a complete unknown. Yes, you list some good prospects. But none of them are a given succeas story. All of them can be a bust. Irving is a first round talent had for dirt cheap that we already know is good and can get better. 

Would you trade your yearly salary for a 50/50 chance at much less or much more? No matter how it turns out you have to live with it, even if it ends up bwing much much less.

I doubt you would.

Read my reply a few posts below that.

In any case, I say he has no future here because the Cowboys aren’t going to sign him long term regardless of how good or bad he is. When you consider that, I’d take a 2nd round pick for him and not think twice.

If there was any inclination that we were talking to him about an extension or something like that, I’d choose that first obviously.

Just now, DalCowboyzRule said:

Read my reply a few posts below that.

In any case, I say he has no future here because the Cowboys aren’t going to sign him long term regardless of how good or bad he is. When you consider that, I’d take a 2nd round pick for him and not think twice.

If there was any inclination that we were talking to him about an extension or something like that, I’d choose that first obviously.

What makes youthink they wont resign him long term after this year? I dont get why you say that. Considering how disruptive he can be, why wouod they not invest in himif he continues to show improvement this year and remains out of trouble?

Archived