Irving gets 2nd Round Tender

textaz03

10 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I can still franchise him next year. Things can change quickly, especially for a guy that very well could be an all-pro next year.

There are two reasons, and two reasons only, that I don't try everything in my power to keep a guy like this for the long-term: 1) If the guy is so toxic that he can't function in and NFL lockerroom a la Greg Hardy, or 2) they think his head issues are permanent. Neither of those things seem to be the case.

Fundamentally, I agree. But it strongly suspect Dallas right now doesn't think he is a wise investment long-term.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

But still much cheaper, yeah? So we could have paid him much less and maybe got nothing back...why not pay him much less if we dont have plans for him in the future?

Because we could potentially get a 2nd round pick out of him? If not we have him back for 1 year which they're ok with...

The difference between 2nd round tender and original tender is ~$1 million.

6 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Because we could potentially get a 2nd round pick out of him? If not we have him back for 1 year which they're ok with...

The difference between 2nd round tender and original tender is ~$1 million.

Hm, not tok bad. I read it was closer to two million, which could be two to three low budget signings on a team whos cap dollars really need to be monitored closely. But for a mil...Id have given that first round tender to ensure I dont lose him

We still get right of refusal though if someone makes an offer, yeah? Maybe it will help set his market value. And if it seems to rich, an extra second round pick for a team likely needing to go up a few slots for the top player at any of their 3 biggest need positions (S, LB, Wr) could be a nice bit of ammo to have in pocket.

Derwin James anyone? Hell, Id even go after Denzel Ward despite Lewis and Chido. Kid hits like John Lynch and covers like Champ Bailey.

I think this is a good move for us. Gives us a chance to see more with him on a prove it year especially since he has often been in some trouble. Then again giving him a pick that if someone does take him we get good compensation back. So all in all I think it’s a good move for us. 

The idea that you give him a 2nd round tender to let someone else set the market so you can match it holds no water.

1) When you have a player under contract, you hold power. The player can only negotiate with you. That's why you often get decent deals by signing a player early (see Tyron Smith). Opening the bidding up to competition raises the price tag. This is especially true when you have a salary cap floors and teams with cash to burn.

2) You have to match the signed contract exactly. That means your goal is to just let someone else negotiate your contract for you, which is an insane way to do business. You can't change payment schedules, duration... nothing.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The guys available last year were not very good and all got overpaid. 

Everyone has a love obsession with Jeffery, but he did similar stats to Dez on a similar payday and everyone wants Dez gone. The other guys available would have a lot to learn coming here, and those who didnt, gor paid far more and put forth much less.

I hate Williams. I always was against what he brings. But i understood the signing solely for how he fits what we are trying to do with him - block, make tough inside grabs, and occassionally eat an outside target or two. But he got even sloppier after he got paid, and I said it last year and Ill say it again - cheap or not, it was too big of a payout for someone who has never shown an ability to be consistent at any level of his play.

Chris canty, Jay Ratliff,  Demarcus Ware, Hitchens, Ron Leary, Terrence Newman. 

We have let multiple guys walk that could have helped us further or maybe screwed the pooch. But we didn't pony up. Besides Carr, I cant think of one big name agent we've been after. Im not saying break the bank. But one solid sign could be the difference. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Chris canty, Jay Ratliff,  Demarcus Ware, Hitchens, Ron Leary, Terrence Newman. 

We have let multiple guys walk that could have helped us further or maybe screwed the pooch. But we didn't pony up. Besides Carr, I cant think of one big name agent we've been after. Im not saying break the bank. But one solid sign could be the difference. 

Sign a solid one that could make a difference? Like David Irving? Johnathan Cooper? Justin Durant? 

Hell they even tried with Hardy.

Where the hell is this mysticism coming from that Dallas never gets contributors from Free Agents?

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Sign a solid one that could make a difference? Like David Irving? Johnathan Cooper? Justin Durant? 

Where the hell is this mysticism coming from that Dallas never gets contributors from Free Agents?

Because there not house hold names and that’s what people get angry about. I’m fine with how we play out FA period but people’s mouths start to water when they see these guys being had. Personally a number of years ago I was totally okay we took a back seat because guys like Carr and Williams all screwed us for the long term and we still hand out crazy contracts

40 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Ron Leary? a 36 million dollar contract. Since we wound up moving Collins anyways. You don't think he would have been a major help on that line this year? How much were all of you complaining me included about how little time Dak had with them being manhandled and what about that dline and letting Ware and Jason Hatcher go and are we not still trying to fix this D-Line?

Oh yea, it makes so much sense to let Ware go and let Selvie and a bunch of street guys take over the 4 spots on the DLine and how well did that go? What did Ware do when he left us? What did Newman do when he left us? And how much was our secondary helping us for years after his release?

Don't sit here and pretend that we have been hitting on all cylinders with our offseasons. We've been drafting better, that's it really. And making a big splash in FA can be just resigning your top guys.

But again, we were keeping it cheap because of the way we've handled ourselves.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Ron Leary? a 36 million dollar contract. Since we wound up moving Collins anyways. You don't think he would have been a major help on that line this year? How much were all of you complaining me included about how little time Dak had with them being manhandled and what about that dline and letting Ware and Jason Hatcher go and are we not still trying to fix this D-Line?

Oh yea, it makes so much sense to let Ware go and let Selvie and a bunch of street guys take over the 4 spots on the DLine and how well did that go? What did Ware do when he left us? What did Newman do when he left us? And how much was our secondary helping us for years after his release?

Don't sit here and pretend that we have been hitting on all cylinders with our offseasons. We've been drafting better, that's it really. And making a big splash in FA can be just resigning your top guys.

But again, we were keeping it cheap because of the way we've handled ourselves.

We are currently at the point where we just got retain our guys because we expect a home town discount. We just don’t have the space because of the ridiculous contracts given to even our guys. The Romo contract everyone knew was absurd. He would’ve never made the length of the contract. Dez contract is killing us. We overpay on everyone and we are paying for it each and every year even when the cap is rising. Now all we can do is say at the right price. Which is code for as cheap as possible. We need to stop retaining guys with outrageous contracts. Not going after sub par talent in FA doesn’t concern me. I’m fine with taking a back seat however we still are hurting on cap because of the stupid decisions made in house. Sadly I don’t see that changing either. Martins contract is coming and well deserved. Zeke and Dak(if he pans out) is coming shortly after that. Our hands will be tied for the foreseeable future if we don’t make smart choices.

19 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

What makes youthink they wont resign him long term after this year? I dont get why you say that. Considering how disruptive he can be, why wouod they not invest in himif he continues to show improvement this year and remains out of trouble?

No guarantee Lawrence is healthy, or balls out this year.  

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

No guarantee Lawrence is healthy, or balls out this year.  

Obviously it’s not a guarantee but I can see similar play on this prove it deal. The only bad thing is I wouldn’t be surprised if he does play well to go somewhere else that can pay him more money. I really hope we can manage to pay him, Martin, zeke and possibly Dak. They will command huge contracts. 

Archived