Irving gets 2nd Round Tender

textaz03

36 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Irving by all accounts seems willing to gamble on himself, but Indy does have $70m in cap space, Eberflus and Chris Ballard, who was in on Irving originally at KC

Take that 2nd and flip it to Seattle for Thomas?? 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Irving by all accounts seems willing to gamble on himself, but Indy does have $70m in cap space, Eberflus and Chris Ballard, who was in on Irving originally at KC

He obviously could very well be correct, but I'm not sure if he knows something or is just putting 2 and 2 together 

32 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

He obviously could very well be correct, but I'm not sure if he knows something or is just putting 2 and 2 together 

I think he was merely throwing out a possibility given their new found glut of 2nd rders

I still hold that it won't happen. Irving, despite his success, is still a gamble based on potential.

Super deep draft for DTs, and you could get a DT(or 2) with all of those early Colts picks. Those guys, who are also based on potential, come with rookie contracts and less PED suspensions. I just don't think it's a smart business move to give up a 2nd rounder and a hefty contract to a DT who hasn't put it all together yet, when you could draft a guy in the 2nd of a deep DT class that presumably has a boat load of upside as well.

It would be like us giving up our 2nd last year for a 25 year old CB who flashed potential when guys like Chido can be had in rd. 2 and Lewis in rd. 3 of a deep draft. 

I'm sure most/all GMs see that for DTs this year and Irving stays. If someone does get him, I'll be shocked and not immediately convinced that it was a smart move.

At this point it's not out of the question that a guy like Payne could be still sitting there at 36 or 37. He is starting to consistently slip past us in mocks.

I would rather gamble on 21 year old Payne at a rookie rate, than gamble on 25 year old Irving at what? $10M + per?

Archived