Lions Hybrid Defense

Louis Friend

I think most people expected Patricia to want to run more of a 3-4 but he stated during his press conference that he ideally would run a hybrid of both 4-3 and 3-4. His moves so far back this up.

Lions sign OLB Devon Kennard and ILB Christian Jones. I still expect a couple LBs to be drafted by the team. This is a deep LB draft and we need to add depth.

4-3 Defense

SLB-Devon Kennard

MLB-Jarrad Davis

WLB-Christian Jones/Jalen Reeves-Maybin (compete for starting spot or by match up)

3-4 Defense

OLB-Devon Kennard

ILB-Jarrad Davis

ILB-Christian Jones

OLB-Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Lions Re-signed Tavon Wilson.

Wilson is a good safety. He and Killebrew can both play SS and a hybrid LB spot. This gives the Lions a lot of flexibility on the field. They can change schemes without changing personnel. Diggs emerged as a very good safety who can play FS, SS and nickel. Quin is still locked up at FS for 3 years.

I thought they could have added a solid CB2 next to Slay on the outside, instead they re-signed Lawson and hope Tabor improves and emerges this season. If not, this is a area that needs addressing moving forward. I don't see this being addressed in the draft unless they feel a prospect falls into their laps.

CB- Darius Slay/Jamal Agnew

SS- Tavon Wilson/Miles Killebrew

FS- Glover Quin/Quandre Diggs

CB- Nevin Lawson/Teez Tabor

Nickel- Quandre Diggs

LB- Tavon Wilson/Miles Killebrew

Lions franchised tagged Ziggy Ansah.

Defensive line is a mess right now. We have two solid starters in Ziggy Ansah and A'Shawn Robinson. Ziggy was tagged and will be a FA next offseason. Kerry Hyder will be coming back from injury and Anthony Zettel should compete with him for that starting DE spot opposite Ziggy, for now. I actually think Zettel would be better suited as a pass rushing DT, but we need him outside right now. Haloti Ngata is gone and gone with him was our rush defense. It was atrocious after he got injured. We couldn't apply pressure or stop the run after he was done for the season. Akeem Spence is cheap depth right now for us, but I don't like him starting. Jeremiah Ledbetter is a work in progress. A'Shawn Robinson is our most versatile DL. He has played 0- technique, 3- technique and 5-technique since college. He can play NT and DE in a 3-4 and DT in a 4-3. We can move him around constantly with different personnel. 

4-3 Defense

DE- Ziggy Ansah/?????????????

DT- ???????????????/Akeem Spence

DT- A'Shawn Robinson/Jeremiah Ledbetter

DE- Kerry Hyder/Anthony Zettel

3-4 Defense

DE- Anthony Zettel/Kerry Hyder

NT- A'Shawn Robinson/????????????

DE- ????????????/?????????????? 

I'm not sure if Ziggy would be better suited as a DE or OLB in the 3-4. I don't recall him playing any OLB in a 3-4, but his quick burst might be under utilized as a DE but his length would be ideal . This is an area, I think the Lions address in the draft, most likely with multiple picks.

Lol, the 1-3-7.

Seriously I don't like what Lions have done this offseason at all. They've gotten worst imo not better. This team reminds me so much of the Chargers and Phillip Rivers run/tenure... I mean the draft isn't even here and I'm already put out lol.

I guess things can change with a few good signings or something but... meh... looks like we've taken a step back rather than forward and watched two teams better than us take really big steps forward while already ahead. An we can prolly blame the GM for that... He's going to get a lot of heat here soon with all the bad picks, bad/average signings. I think the Wagner/Lang signings have really kind of affected how Quinn wants to spend money. They got paid big bucks and kind of been just average.

And.... The Ebron situation was a debacle... wow... letting him go for nothing... psh. Late! with no good replacements available... pfft.

Going into the draft Lions could use a Starting RB, Starting LG, Starting C, Starting DT, Starting DE, Starting LB, Starting TE,  Depth at DE/DT, Depth at TE, Depth at RB, Depth on the Oline, depth at LB.... Idk... doesn't seem like Lions are in a position to make themselves that much better with all these needs unless we somehow draft an All-Pro at 20, and someone really good with our 2nd round.

20 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Lol, the 1-3-7.

Seriously I don't like what we've done this offseason at all. We've gotten worst imo not better. This team reminds me so much of the Chargers and Phillip Rivers run/tenure... I mean the draft isn't even here and I'm already put out lol.

I guess things can change with a few good signings or but... meh... looks like we've taken a step back rather than forward. An we can prolly blame the GM for that... He's going to get a lot of heat here soon with all the bad picks, bad/average signings.

And.... The Ebron situation was a debacle... wow... letting him for nothing... psh. Late! with no good replacements available... pfft.

We did bring in Fells last year  a late addition who was our #1 at times when Ebron was playing terribly. He just got paid in Cleveland. So I would take that as Quinn knew what he was doing in signing him but wasn't willing to pay the premium this year. Ebron had a handful of decent games but not $8M worth. This wait and see approach might not be the favourite thing as a fan. It's certainly less exciting. However, it's for the best interest of the team in September not March. He might not get a ton of buzz and come back on a deal for $4M.. who knows.

I don't know about too many bad picks. Outside of not bringing in a RB last year and maybe reaching on Tabor (TBD), Quinn has done a pretty decent job overall. We'll have a better understanding of that now that coach and GM are 100% on the same page.

What you're trying to say is Quinn doesn't commit because he's not sure if the player is really good or just average. Lol.

You can church him up however you want. Cutting Ebron after the top TE's have signed and not speaking to any of the remaining TE's available LOOKS like you didn't know what you where doing with him. IMO. Just an outsider looking in...

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't know about too many bad picks. Outside of not bringing in a RB last year and maybe reaching on Tabor (TBD), Quinn has done a pretty decent job overall. We'll have a better understanding of that now that coach and GM are 100% on the same page

Well yeah honestly I can't name anything too outrageous besides the Tabor pick, and not picking a RB. That's just really standing out in my head because it was literally one of the main reasons Lions failed to make the playoffs.

But I'm not kidding about going out an not adding impactful players cause of cost and bring in average/below average guys. He/the organization better plan on drafting like the Packers/Patriots if they truly don't want to spend money on guys. Your not going to cut it every year bringing in guys like Cornelius Washington/Paul Worrilow among the other average non-difference makers they seem to love bringing in now. I mean to me, it's shaping up to where Quinn could have back to back down years after an amazing first year with Decker/Ashawn/Marvin Jones.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Well yeah honestly I can't name anything too outrageous besides the Tabor pick, and not picking a RB. That's just really standing out in my head because it was literally one of the main reasons Lions failed to make the playoffs.

But I'm not kidding about going out an not adding impactful players cause of cost and bring in average/below average guys. He/the organization better plan on drafting like the Packers/Patriots if they truly don't want to spend money on guys. Your not going to cut it every year bringing in guys like Cornelius Washington/Paul Worrilow among the other average non-difference makers they seem to love bringing in now. I mean to me, it's shaping up to where Quinn could have back to back down years after an amazing first year with Decker/Ashawn/Marvin Jones.

You know big name signings seldom prove to be valuable. By marginally improving players at positions of need soon the team will be much better. 

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

Well, this surprised me.

I think Roberts is the long term answer but he isn’t ready yet. 

I expect they sign another TE for less money. I thought they would keep him one more year but I guess 8.5 million for Enron’s production they felt it was time to move on.

Maybe Julius Thomas or Virgil Green? There's a bunch of guys in the draft as well.

8 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I would have to disagree regarding the type of players they are bringing in free agency. 

I think the best way to approach it is looking for guys with the ability to start, but are great depth guys, unless you find players who you feel are worth it.. i.e. Marvin Jones, Rick Warger, and Lang.

I know you mentioned the Wagner and Lang signings as ham stringing what we are able to do this year (in so many words), but Quin prioritized Oline above all things due to Stafford mainly... with the running game being the 1b. Clearly that didnt materialize, but it still can. 

With that said, building through the draft is where the bulk of the roster should come from in my opinion, with FA, Undrafted FA, and Waivers giving you depth.

I am glad Ebron is out of here. We do have to remember that they have been shopping him since the trade deadline. At the end of the day they tried, no one wanted to trade for him, and they didn't feel he was worth the $8.5 mil. 

When are people going to face the fact that Quinn came from a system that produced lack luster Free Agent signings, drafted players with little fan fare & picked up players that had fizzled on their respective teams. There was no flash & bangs, they just quietly went about their unorthodox style of creating Super Bowl wins & years of Playoff appearances! Just chill out & wait to see what happens. And don’t forget the Patricia effect. Everyone is assuming he will be 100% the coach he was in New England. His mind is always scheming & planning. I’m sure he’s already watched tape on the Lions & visualizes what course of action is needed to fill holes. We should be so lucky if Quinn & Patricia build a team here with stability & the capability to make playoff runs for numerous years. We are so hungry for a consistent winner that we are in a hurry to grab every big name out there, either in free agency or the draft, thinking it will help deliver the Super Bowl. How many players on the Patriots over the years were no name players or old veterans, but guess what.... they produced and they all have rings. Take a breath & let’s see where this goes.

The "3-4" sets the Lions will run won't be like a 3-4 defense you would've seen 10-20 years ago. If the Lions run a 3-4 it would look a lot like a 4-3 just with one DE standing up. Traditional 3-4 sets "look" like a 5-2 with both ends standing up.

Most of what they do will be out of nickel anyways, that's really what the "base defense" will be. Projecting the defense would be more accurate looking at 3-3-5 sets and 4-2-5 sets and then some sub-packages that are even further away from a traditional "base defense".

4i to Rush LB: Ansah, Hyder, Zettel

0T to 3T: A'Shawn

2i to 5T: Spence, Ledbetter

DE to SLB: Kennard

WLB: Jones, JRM

MLB: Davis, Bellore

That could operate as a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 or 2-4-5 without changing personnel. They still need a starting DT next to A'Shawn and they need someone to backup A'Shawn. They need a backup to Kennard, ideally a rookie that can develop in a rotation with him and take over in a few years. Ideally they can get a better backup for Davis than Nick Bellore. 

Patricia said that he wants to build the team from the middle out.   Jones is an upgrade over Whitehead, especially in coverage.  Re-signing Wilson  and having him team up with G. Quin is a pretty good move.  Provides some flexibility for Diggs to play S or move into the slot.  With all of the teams in the NFC north adding receivers and/or QBs, that secondary will be tested.  Hopefully, they get a good run stuffer (Poe comes to mind) in FAagency and DT in the draft to help take care of the up the middle  stuff.

Archived