Lions Hybrid Defense

Louis Friend

22 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

You know big name signings seldom prove to be valuable. By marginally improving players at positions of need soon the team will be much better. 

I think TJ Lang and Marvin Jones are quality players who where considered imo big time signings for us. Wagner is a bit of a disappointment for me being the highest paid RT and Lang might not be worth the money but we still need him so I don't mind over paying.

Which bargin basement deal have you liked better than the two above?

There's still the draft, and the rest of the offseason. I'm just saying to myself, wow... I'm completely underwhelmed with the signings/movement so far. I don't think the team is better than when they quit playing in 2017.

The draft can change that. His first year he pulled out like three starters/really good contributors. If he can do something like that again, then, we'll look back and say wow he saved a bunch of money! If they get dominated within the division, we'll look back and say wow, two years in a row without really loading up on talent cost us.

9 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I think TJ Lang and Marvin Jones are quality players who where considered imo big time signings for us.

Jones was considered a bit of a reach although he was the top guy in a poor FA WR class at the time. He's definitely rounded things out and become a solid weapon for us although it was kinda shaky year 1. Lang has been a solid signing when healthy.

What I'm saying is so far we're not better from when the season ended. Doesn't mean you need a big signing like Malcolm Butler, McKinnen, or Nate Solder but... Idk, a really impactful starter somewhere would be nice! I don't mind these role player/fringe starter signings coupled with a guy that can actually make some sort of impact somewhere. Why, just simply cause you had the ability too and all you're rivals got better. There are three glaring holes on offense alone that need addressed and you can't draft all starters... C/LG/RB/TE all need filled, not to mention maybe more talent at LB/DL.

I'm not being unrealistic or dumb to expect a good player/signing. I didn't say over spend and be the Redskins.

Things can change, just a little underwhelmed and like I said outside looking in they kind of botched the Ebron stuff. Why? Cause it just doesn't look like they have a replacement plan in place, imo.

Just because I have a different view point doesn't mean I'm dumb. Lol, comments like that are why that poster got banned originally to begin with. Doesn't know how to talk respectfully. The Jaguars with a quality front office spent money pretty wisely lately. Patriots spend money wisely, Eagles have been spending money wisely, as has Minnesota. That's all I'm asking for!

25 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

What I'm saying is so far we're not better from when the season ended. Doesn't mean you need a big signing like Malcolm Butler, McKinnen, or Nate Solder but... Idk, a really impactful starter somewhere would be nice! I don't mind these role player/fringe starter signings coupled with a guy that can actually make some sort of impact somewhere. Why, just simply cause you had the ability too and all you're rivals got better. There are three glaring holes on offense alone that need addressed and you can't draft all starters... C/LG/RB/TE all need filled, not to mention maybe more talent at LB/DL.

I'm not being unrealistic or dumb to expect a good player/signing. I didn't say over spend and be the Redskins.

Things can change, just a little underwhelmed and like I said outside looking in they kind of botched the Ebron stuff. Why? Cause it just doesn't look like they have a replacement plan in place, imo.

Just because I have a different view point doesn't mean I'm dumb. Lol, comments like that are why that poster got banned originally to begin with. Doesn't know how to talk respectfully. The Jaguars with a quality front office spent money pretty wisely lately. Patriots spend money wisely, Eagles have been spending money wisely, as has Minnesota. That's all I'm asking for!

They're bringing in Slauson who has a history with our OL coach. Played OC and LG. That could plug one of those holes. Glasgow is likely to get one of those spots. Assuming Wagner and Lang are healthy, that would address our starting OL. RB and TE are roles that need to be addressed and could be plugged in the draft. We are bringing in Celek for a visit and he could be that vet stopgap at TE. Gore and Blount are also being brought in for a visit. We have also brought in a vet DT (Diall?).

It's only day 2 of the official start of the league year and the team explicitly said they would be mining the 2nd and 3rd tier of FA. This is a process that is derived from a philosophy that has generated a lot of success. Is it because of Bellichick himself or can it be transferred when fully implemented with guys who are well versed in it (Quinn and Patricia)? That is what we are waiting to see. There is still plenty of time for signings and trades to be made.

None of us here know what the plan looks like and if things are going according to that plan. Patricia just arrived and things are starting to change. It's difficult to gauge things if you're looking at some of the moves in isolation. We will have to wait and see how things look in September and whether that translates on the field.

You're allowed to have a different opinion and share it amongst the group. I don't think a single person has referred to you as dumb - directly or indirectly. When you share your opinion it also means that other people may critique it or even flat out disagree with it. That comes with the territory. There are people on here like @IDOG_det that have a stronger handle on the Lions and football in general than I do. I have my own thoughts on things but am open to learning new ideas and getting  exposed to a different perspective. Sometimes a poster like him will change my thinking on a particular subject.

At the end of the day, we are all here because we enjoy talking about the Lions and are interested in how they'll look next year. None of this really matters in the big picture, it's just for fun.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I think TJ Lang and Marvin Jones are quality players who where considered imo big time signings for us. Wagner is a bit of a disappointment for me being the highest paid RT and Lang might not be worth the money but we still need him so I don't mind over paying.

There's still the draft, and the rest of the offseason. I'm just saying to myself, wow... I'm completely underwhelmed with the signings/movement so far. I don't think the team is better than when they quit playing in 2017.

The draft can change that. His first year he pulled out like three starters/really good contributors. If he can do something like that again, then, we'll look back and say wow he saved a bunch of money! If they get dominated within the division, we'll look back and say wow, two years in a row without really loading up on talent cost us.

I was referring to this seasons available talent. 

I like both signings. I think both players are better than who they’re replacing.

i guess I never expected Quinn to make a splash. The talent on the Lions is going to be drafted and the roster will be churned looking for incremental talent increases.

Its boring for the fans. 

Now......do I have concerns? You bet. I have the same concerns I had at the end of the season. So, I’m going to wait for the rest of the off season to play out. 

Archived