2017/18 EPL Thread - City Champs

UKTexans

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

They're honestly looking the weakest right now. 

Their CL commitments are the only thing that really worries me. I think the addition of Salah is a great move for the club and the same core getting another year under Klopp should be a good thing. Their performances against the top six is hard to say they are weaker than the sides they are competing against. I can see Chelsea having a tough year without Costa and with the CL to deal with and I won't believe in the Manchester clubs until I see it. On paper they should be very good but I need to see some action on the pitch before I'm ready to say they are locks for a top four spot.

Crystal Palace was certainly one of the more difficult teams to predict this season. I think anyone could pretty easily argue that they're a solid mid table team and at the same time an argument can be made that they'll be in a relegation fight all season. 

It'll be really interesting to see how a club that most recently was managed by Big Sam adapts to de Boer. 

9 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

Crystal Palace was certainly one of the more difficult teams to predict this season. I think anyone could pretty easily argue that they're a solid mid table team and at the same time an argument can be made that they'll be in a relegation fight all season. 

It'll be really interesting to see how a club that most recently was managed by Big Sam adapts to de Boer. 

I'm thinking they're closer to relegation battle than solid mid table. I'm not convinced by de Boer at all and they've lost their best defender who really solidified their team. There is talent in the squad with Benteke, Zaha and Townsend but I just don't have any real confidence in the squad as a whole and the same goes for their manager. 

That being said, they absolutely have the talent to finish top ten and make me look like an idiot.

Brighton have broken their transfer record again this summer signing Davy Propper from PSV. 

I don't know much about him but, he's young, played over 200 games in the Eredivisie, he's played in the Champions League and he's been capped by Holland. That's more pedigree than the rest of their squad, so he should be an upgrade, never 100% with the Dutch league though. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm thinking they're closer to relegation battle than solid mid table.

I can think of 4-5 worse teams off hand, so I would put them in the 13th to 16th category, with the potential to go either way as De Boer is an unknown. I see a the potential for a bit of similarity Southampton under Poch, with Palace and De Boer. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

I can think of 4-5 worse teams off hand, so I would put them in the 13th to 16th category, with the potential to go either way as De Boer is an unknown. I see a the potential for a bit of similarity Southampton under Poch, with Palace and De Boer. 

I agree that they are certainly talented enough to finish mid-table but they have under performed for several seasons now and there are a lot of the same faces. I don't de Boer having a Poch type success although I could certainly be wrong. Most of what I have heard about him is that he is a more defensive manager and have heard a lot of underwhelming reviews about him as a manager. I have more concern with the squads mentality than the manager himself though, he needs to instill some fight into that side. 

4 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Yep. Or actually, it should have been Txiki Begiristain's job to not let it come to the point where City's FBs where overpaid stars from the past.

Might have gotten some better value last season too. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I agree that they are certainly talented enough to finish mid-table but they have under performed for several seasons now and there are a lot of the same faces. I don't de Boer having a Poch type success although I could certainly be wrong. Most of what I have heard about him is that he is a more defensive manager and have heard a lot of underwhelming reviews about him as a manager. I have more concern with the squads mentality than the manager himself though, he needs to instill some fight into that side. 

Yeah, I don't know a ton firsthand about De Boer but it did seem like a lot of Ajax fans were happy to see him leave the club. Not been impressed with their summer signings thus far - I'd say along with Burnley and Swansea they're the most likely returning EPL teams to battle the drop again this year. 

On 8/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, kempus said:

Great write ups. I'm looking forward to the rest of them.

There a decent Spurs following on FF? Watched them last year and it was entertaining. They seem well coached and disciplined competing with the financial powerhouses, so I'm considering hopping on the bandwagon this year.

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There a decent Spurs following on FF? Watched them last year and it was entertaining. They seem well coached and disciplined competing with the financial powerhouses, so I'm considering hopping on the bandwagon this year.

I think at one point we had 2? 

A lot of "soccer" fans come for a few months then disappear. 

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I think we have two or three. They're a really fun team to watch and they're also young and should be together for a while. If I find myself watching a game with one of the top clubs in it it's usually either Liverpool or Spurs. 

40 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yeah, I don't know a ton firsthand about De Boer but it did seem like a lot of Ajax fans were happy to see him leave the club. Not been impressed with their summer signings thus far - I'd say along with Burnley and Swansea they're the most likely returning EPL teams to battle the drop again this year. 

I agree and I saw the same thing with Ajax fans. Crystal Palace could probably use some defensive stability though, before Sakho arrived they were an absolute disaster at the back. I'm still shocked they haven't addressed CB more this window. 

Archived