2017/18 EPL Thread - City Champs

UKTexans

12 hours ago, DaveDX said:

I mean, relatively.  They're still in second and better than most of the league, but the mystique is gone.

The mystique is gone. They don’t play the “Man United way” anymore and I don’t think anyone fears going to Old Trafford. At least not the the extent they used to.

Mourinho has the wrong mentality to play the way United fans were apparently desperate to get back when Van Gaal was there, but they swapped boring possession football for boring defensively organised football.

Previously, as a neutral, you’d be excited that United were playing because they’d attack and play entertaining stuff. Now, it’s a chore to watch them.

I’ve heard it said that Mourinho is just Pulis with pocket money. It doesn’t feel like that extreme of a comparison at times.

50 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

Wenger in?

Nah.  Though his sarcasm in the pressers is becoming the stuff of legend; wondering out loud if some horrible illness befell so many of the season ticket holders for all the empty seats.

Also, Martin Atkinson continues to further the case as to why so few managers actually voted for an English referee to be assigned to World Cup duty.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Nah.  Though his sarcasm in the pressers is becoming the stuff of legend; wondering out loud if some horrible illness befell so many of the season ticket holders for all the empty seats.

Also, Martin Atkinson continues to further the case as to why so few managers actually voted for an English referee to be assigned to World Cup duty.

I'm sure Kroenke will be satisfied with another win or two.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Two straight clean sheets after looking horrible @ Brighton. This is what the team is with Wenger now unfortunately. It's like they flip a coin before the match to see if they'll play or not. 

The score line really did not reflect the game at all. Good result but the performance was still not really good. 

20 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

The score line really did not reflect the game at all. Good result but the performance was still not really good. 

They had some very good and bad stretches but the last 10 minutes or so of the first half in particular they weren't good.

Thoughts on United is Liverpool

- Lukaku was imposing in the first half. Invisible in the second. The fact we have to bring on Felaini to win and keep possession proves my point. 

- Sanchez is absolutely wasted under Mourinho, add to that he looks as disinterested as he did in his final days at Arsenal. 

- Bailly makes such a difference to our back four, his mere presence makes Smalling looks twice the player he otherwise looks. 

- Young was outstanding, going into the game I lambasted Jose for not picking Shaw, but Young was excellent in containing Salah. 

- Liverpool don't have a plan B. They play excellent football and keep possession well, but when things aren't going their way they don't have an answer. They should have switched it to have Robertson and Alexander Arnold overlapping a lot more in the second half as we had no defence on the wings apart from Valencia and Young. 

- I don't know why VVD allowed Lovren to get bullied by Lukaku the entire first half. I know you have right or left sided centre halves but eventually you need to use common sense. 

- Honestly forgot Mata was playing until he was subbed off. He and Sanchez are so anonymous in this team. 

- The 3 points are the most important thing, but like others have said, this United team is poor. Not LVG poor. But very poor. 

18 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

No more Carragher on MNF for the time being it appears. 

What an absolute clown. 

He’ll be back, but hopefully Henry replaces him permanently.

Will he be back? 

Spitting it a pretty unforgivable crime. 

Keys and Gray were castigated for off camera remarks. Carragher spat at a child in the face. 

Archived