2017/18 EPL Thread - City Champs

UKTexans

14 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah I think we have two or three. They're a really fun team to watch and they're also young and should be together for a while. If I find myself watching a game with one of the top clubs in it it's usually either Liverpool or Spurs. 

Yeah I like that and the fact that they don't seem to go out and spend $50M+ on a bunch of players like the Manchester teams, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Arsenal.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I like that and the fact that they don't seem to go out and spend $50M+ on a bunch of players like the Manchester teams, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Arsenal.

They are easily one of the best run clubs in the Premier League, I would argue Swansea and Southampton are in the conversation, and that ability to compete without the same kind of investment and ownership that the other clubs in the top six have is really impressive. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I agree and I saw the same thing with Ajax fans. Crystal Palace could probably use some defensive stability though, before Sakho arrived they were an absolute disaster at the back. I'm still shocked they haven't addressed CB more this window. 

I think they're still holding out to bring back Sakho on a permanent deal. Liverpool want stupid money for him though.

With Tottenham moving into a new stadium and thus short-term restricted in their transfer spending they're basically what Arsenal was during the early Emirates years, the hipster choice for people who want to root for a successful/rich team but seem a bit more cultured about it. 

And I know I know, I'm just hatin but doesn't mean I'm not right. :P

4 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I agree and I saw the same thing with Ajax fans. Crystal Palace could probably use some defensive stability though, before Sakho arrived they were an absolute disaster at the back. I'm still shocked they haven't addressed CB more this window. 

I mean, I don't know many Ajax fans but, De Boer won 4 straight Dutch titles with some pretty impressive results along the way. 

2 hours ago, Imarobot said:

I think they're still holding out to bring back Sakho on a permanent deal. Liverpool want stupid money for him though.

Yeah Liverpool want £30m for Sakho and Palace can't afford that. They're trying to sign Chambers too.

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

With Tottenham moving into a new stadium and thus short-term restricted in their transfer spending they're basically what Arsenal was during the early Emirates years, the hipster choice for people who want to root for a successful/rich team but seem a bit more cultured about it. 

I'm not sure how much it is that we're restricted in our spending or Levy just being a usual tight ***.

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Don't know if I can root for Spurs now having been butchered like that.

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Don't know if I can root for Spurs now having been butchered like that.

Hah, don't let me being a curmudgeon change anything, people should root for whoever the hell they want. 

I definitely don't mean to pick on you or single you out, it's more that at this point I feel like I've heard from my fellow American soccer fans 8 billion different versions of some unique story about how they came to support their EPL team that generally focus on something high-minded/stylistic/cultured and then 99 times out of 100 it's gonna be the story behind supporting one of the same six EPL teams (United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Spurs), so I just sort of reflexively roll my eyes when I hear talk about things along the lines of doing things the "right" way and such. People love to convince themselves they're rooting for the underdog even though most of us are pretty much frontrunners. Truth is those 6 teams are the have's and they have far more in common with each other than they do with the have-nots or have-some's, as much as Liverpool or Arsenal fans might complain about Chelsea and United's spending or Spurs fans harp on Arsenal's spending. 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Hah, don't let me being a curmudgeon change anything, people should root for whoever the hell they want. 

I definitely don't mean to pick on you or single you out, it's more that at this point I feel like I've heard from my fellow American soccer fans 8 billion different versions of some unique story about how they came to support their EPL team that generally focus on something high-minded/stylistic/cultured and then 99 times out of 100 it's gonna be the story behind supporting one of the same six EPL teams (United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Spurs), so I just sort of reflexively roll my eyes when I hear talk about things along the lines of doing things the "right" way and such. People love to convince themselves they're rooting for the underdog even though most of us are pretty much frontrunners. Truth is those 6 teams are the have's and they have far more in common with each other than they do with the have-nots or have-some's, as much as Liverpool or Arsenal fans might complain about Chelsea and United's spending or Spurs fans harp on Arsenal's spending. 

Yeovil Town or bust tbh.

In all honesty though I sort of wish the lower leagues, even Championship, had more coverage. If it did I doubt I'd have become a Fulham fan, there's something simplistic about League football that's really appealing to me. The Premier league has become so, idk, whitewashed even over the last gen years it feels like. 

On 03/08/2017 at 0:57 PM, texans_uk said:

They’ve led a largely nomadic life since that fateful 1997 season, first ground sharing with Gillingham before moving to the Withdean. It wasn’t until 2011, 2 years after Tony Bloom had completed a takeover, that they were home again at the Falmer Stadium. 

For anyone who wants to get a better understanding of how far Brighton have had to come.

18 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeovil Town or bust tbh.

In all honesty though I sort of wish the lower leagues, even Championship, had more coverage. If it did I doubt I'd have become a Fulham fan, there's something simplistic about League football that's really appealing to me. The Premier league has become so, idk, whitewashed even over the last gen years it feels like. 

Well the teams have the opportunity to stream their own games via ifollow(or basically their own TV channel), not everyone is doing it at the moment but I think it's pretty cool.

I used to really like the Chamionship as a league because of it's competitiveness and charm, but all this mad owners now coming in, flooding the league with even more money and terrible decisions kind of destroys that charm for me.

Archived