OT Nate Solder signs with Giants

Acgott

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Joe Thomas just retired after being an All-Pro LT for 11 years. His team only came close to making the playoff once.

I'd be furious if we picked Nelson at #2. Great lineman aren't the automatic franchise-defining players some of you think them to be, and they're far from bust-proof. 

Joe Thomas was also the only member of that line to be their for more than 2 seasons (during his entire career). Also, saying it was Joe Thomas who was at fault for building the Greatest Anti-Dynasty in Sports History, or even played a hand in it. Or it was Joe Thomas who could throw, run, or catch the ball. It's not often a team waists an All-Pro's LT entire career (EDIT:) Or any Perennial All-Pro for that matter (/EDIT). The Browns have just been run that poorly over the last two decades. 

EDIT: With all that being said. You do not, and I mean DO NOT pass on a Potential Perennial (Which means: lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time; enduring or continually recurring,) All-Pro meaning Quenton Nelson is projected to be so good his potential is to be on so many All-Pro teams, that it just feels like he's been on it forever. Sign me up for that player. REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY LINE-UP. Nelson's ceiling is a better Zach Martin, who is undoubtedly the best Guard in the league currently. 

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything. I just like driving my points home with emphasis. 

5 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I love this move. Tackles are by far the hardest position to fill. Is he the best OT in the league, of course not. But in free agency you have to pay good players great money. I am glad we paid big money for a tackle then can easily find guard help in the draft and lesser tier free agents than paying a guard big money and having no idea where we are going to get our LT.

Smart move by the Giants.  Good LT's don't come available in FA very often, and as you said, you are in a position to get a pretty decent guard in the second round of the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Or the first...

I don't know.  I'm having a very hard time putting much credence in the opinions of a guy who thinks Kate is a "fourth rounder".  ;)  (That was a joke, by the way).

If you did go OG at #2 you would certainly have the position locked up nicely for the next 10-12 years though.

Archived