Nate Solder Signs w/ NY Giants

Deadpulse

1 minute ago, everlong said:

Every time things don't go our way we make excuses like this. Belichick is being cheap and it's hurting us.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm if we signed all those guys to the contracts they got we would be millions over the cap

9 minutes ago, everlong said:

Not everyone, just Solder.

If we got Solder at 15.5 we would have about 6 mil left, 3 of which would go to drafted players. 3 mil would get us maybe one guy leaving us with more holes than I can count. 

Wow, I was not expecting us to lose Solder but he'd be stupid to turn down that kind of money. 

Good for him and his family. He's been a great draft pick for us (please don't look back at the 2011 Draft Thread and pull up my reaction to the Solder pick (I wanted Cameron Jordan FYI) and I can't be mad at him for leaving. 

The hype around this Garcia chap better be real...

3 hours ago, everlong said:

Every time things don't go our way we make excuses like this. Belichick is being cheap and it's hurting us.

The Patriots do this virtually every offseason where they let guys test the market and let other teams over pay. Not saying that it doesn’t suck to lose Solder but the guy is due over 25m in guaranteed money over the next two years. All of the guys the Pats let go have gotten massive contracts with a lot of upfront guaranteed money. 

Doesn’t really seem to be hurting us when we go to 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls and win 2 of them, with a chance to win a 3rd. League is literally built to make sure something like this doesn’t happen yet year in and year out they are back in the AFC Championship game and then all of the sudden everyone forgets their takes about how BB should be fired. 

1 hour ago, Spooky said:

Doesn’t really seem to be hurting us when we go to 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls and win 2 of them, with a chance to win a 3rd. 

To be fair, this doesn’t usually happen, at least not recently. Having Hightower test FA actually lowered his price IIRC. McCourty ended up coming back. Edelman came back. Blount is the only starter to have recently left for more $$$, off the top of my head. As far as the recent super bowl teams go.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

To be fair, this doesn’t usually happen, at least not recently. Having Hightower test FA actually lowered his price IIRC. McCourty ended up coming back. Edelman came back. Blount is the only starter to have recently left for more $$$, off the top of my head. As far as the recent super bowl teams go.

2014? Vereen got paid. Everyone freaked out. Guess what? Belichick had a back up plan and developed White. People wanted the Patriots to break the bank for Revis. Ayers and Castillas were cast aways, came here and ended up getting decent deals from other teams.

Name me guys who left here for big pay days and went on to earn that contract. I'll wait. Akieem Hicks is really the only one that comes to mind. You know what's funny and kind of ironic? Other than Solder, these guys walking....Belichick and the Patriots signed them and built their value. They weren't known commodities before they got here. And guess what, he'll do it again with other players.

People want the Patriots to pay everyone. It's hysterical. The same people who are complaining now wanted to give Jimmy G a big money contract to keep him around as a back up.  And you think we're tight against the cap and can't afford guys now? They'd be in cap hell if we paid Jones, Collins, Revis, Jimmy G, Solder, Lewis, Dola....which is what the people who are complaining about right now expect. 

6 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

2014? Vereen got paid. Everyone freaked out. Guess what? Belichick had a back up plan and developed White. People wanted the Patriots to break the bank for Revis. Ayers and Castillas were cast aways, came here and ended up getting decent deals from other teams.

Okay...

I had forgotten about Vereen, who is an okay example. 

Name me guys who left here for big pay days and went on to earn that contract. I'll wait. Akieem Hicks is really the only one that comes to mind. You know what's funny and kind of ironic? Other than Solder, these guys walking....Belichick and the Patriots signed them and built their value. They weren't known commodities before they got here. And guess what, he'll do it again with other players.

Huh? I never said anything about bringing in low cost guys or former players earning their second contracts. 

My point was that NE doesn’t typically let huge contributors walk in FA, especially not in recent years. They’ll let them test the waters, but when it comes to it, they usually get kept. 

Which isn’t to say that they should’ve overpaid for anybody this year or in previous years, I’m just pointing out the trend.

People want the Patriots to pay everyone. It's hysterical. The same people who are complaining now wanted to give Jimmy G a big money contract to keep him around as a back up.  And you think we're tight against the cap and can't afford guys now? They'd be in cap hell if we paid Jones, Collins, Revis, Jimmy G, Solder, Lewis, Dola....which is what the people who are complaining about right now expect. 

Maybe relax there, dude. Never said anything about wanting to pay whomever or keep so and so. 

Losing Solder is disappointing, but successful teams going through a bit of reload phase from time to time is nothing out of the ordinary. What sucks is that I have a feeling 2018 could have the same feel as 2009/2013.

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Losing Solder is disappointing, but successful teams going through a bit of reload phase from time to time is nothing out of the ordinary. What sucks is that I have a feeling 2018 could have the same feel as 2009/2013.

I think the field is better as opposed to the Patriots being subpar. Titans, Jaguars, Broncos, Chiefs, and Patriots all look like surefire playoff teams. There are a lot of other teams that could be a wildcard. AFC North is anyones division this year.

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Okay...

I had forgotten about Vereen, who is an okay example. 

Huh? I never said anything about bringing in low cost guys or former players earning their second contracts. 

My point was that NE doesn’t typically let huge contributors walk in FA, especially not in recent years. They’ll let them test the waters, but when it comes to it, they usually get kept. 

Which isn’t to say that they should’ve overpaid for anybody this year or in previous years, I’m just pointing out the trend.

Maybe relax there, dude. Never said anything about wanting to pay whomever or keep so and so. 

My post wasn't entirely directed at you, nor was it aimed to take a shot at you, sorry if it came off that way. I was more venting about the general public and fans always freaking out about the Patriots letting players walk this time of year.

It just kind of amazes me how much of a disconnect between what these fans expect from Belichick (Free Agency wise & Draft) vs. what repeatedly happens. Maybe it's because last year they made unexpected splashes via the first day of free agency (Gilmore) and trade (Cooks). But there's a reason the Patriots have had a long, sustained period of success while other teams come and go.

6 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

My post wasn't entirely directed at you, nor was it aimed to take a shot at you, sorry if it came off that way. I was more venting about the general public and fans always freaking out about the Patriots letting players walk this time of year.

It just kind of amazes me how much of a disconnect between what these fans expect from Belichick (Free Agency wise & Draft) vs. what repeatedly happens. Maybe it's because last year they made unexpected splashes via the first day of free agency (Gilmore) and trade (Cooks). But there's a reason the Patriots have had a long, sustained period of success while other teams come and go.

Avoid the radio.

Archived