Trent Murphy Likely Gone

MKnight82

This could be rough.  We've spent three 2nd round picks on OLBs in the past four years and suddenly it could be a need.  Junior Galette is likely gone as well as Murphy, that leaves only Ryan Anderson (who looked awful as a rookie) as our only backup.  We're likely going to have to take a mid round OLB just to fill out the depth chart.  

Much like Breeland, I'd be happy to have him back but I'm not losing sleep over losing him (depending on $$). I thought his 9 sack year was kind of inflated. I remember a lot of his sacks came from cleaning up pressure being set by Kerrigan and others. He's a solid starter but he's coming off a torn ACL and PED suspension. I'll root for him wherever he goes because I think he's a good guy (met him once after a game and he took a picture with me) but his departure isn't going to move the needle much either way.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don't understand this off-season at all?

Because you are used to high priced FA signings and us “winning the offseason”?

The only thing at this point I am curious about is whether or not Brown is brought back. All, and I mean all, of the other players that are our FAs I am glad they are gone (partly because they are getting a bunch of money that may turn into comp picks for us) because they were ALL under achieving for us.

56 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Because you are used to high priced FA signings and us “winning the offseason”?

The only thing at this point I am curious about is whether or not Brown is brought back. All, and I mean all, of the other players that are our FAs I am glad they are gone (partly because they are getting a bunch of money that may turn into comp picks for us) because they were ALL under achieving for us.

No. Because I don't understand letting all of your talent walk when you're already down one draft pick. Look, I don't see the sunshine stuff you and a few others do. I just don't. The point of not paying Kirk was so we would be able to keep some of our talent and improve other parts of our team. That has yet to happen. If it does, then I'll be okay.

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No. Because I don't understand letting all of your talent walk when you're already down one draft pick. Look, I don't see the sunshine stuff you and a few others do. I just don't. The point of not paying Kirk was so we would be able to keep some of our talent and improve other parts of our team. That has yet to happen. If it does, then I'll be okay.

Was it? You have inside information saying "that" was the reason we didn't pay him?

I really could not care any less whether you are "okay" with the moves that are being made, and quite frankly the team probably doesn't care either. They are doing what they feel is best for the team.

Not meaning to offend you in any way, just trying to point out that in "business" hard decisions have to be made. However, I feel that Trent Murphy was not a hard decision. He really was a bad fit for our 3-4 system.

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Was it? You have inside information saying "that" was the reason we didn't pay him?

I really could not care any less whether you are "okay" with the moves that are being made, and quite frankly the team probably doesn't care either. They are doing what they feel is best for the team.

Not meaning to offend you in any way, just trying to point out that in "business" hard decisions have to be made. However, I feel that Trent Murphy was not a hard decision. He really was a bad fit for our 3-4 system.

You obviously care to a degree because otherwise you'd quit busting my balls over me not giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's a poorly run organization and we've been shown no evidence to the contrary.

I mean I'm not sitting here coming at you or anyone else because you're being positive about this teams outlook. I'm happy you guys have that view. It's a good thing. 

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Well, one of the justifications for trading for Smith is that he was cheaper. That implies the team wanted to use its cap space in other ways. As of right now, that has meant Paul Richardson, which they could have done while paying Cousins.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Very true that the team doesn't care what the fans think of their moves.

However, the purpose of this forum is to discuss their moves and think to the "future" of the franchise. At this point, do you think they are making the right moves by letting all of their free agents walk (except Hopkins)? I can understand the justification for letting Murphy walk (I agree, he didn't fit with what we ran here), but everyone going?

Archived