Trent Murphy Likely Gone

MKnight82

Just now, mar29020 said:

but wait we will sign a 30+ year old player to replace him and keep the process going

Who gallete ? Most people need to remember Murphy was a 3-4 DE not OLB anymore .

murphy was good in 2016, but we don't need him as much as a NT . The Greek to me is a much more effective player than Murphy is .

2 minutes ago, mike23md said:

OK, but that is likely not going to happen. Bruce does not have that kind of vision. So, my question is, what opther option do you have. 

He'll walk next year just like Breeland, Murphy, etc.  They won't franchise tag him.  

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Well, one of the justifications for trading for Smith is that he was cheaper. That implies the team wanted to use its cap space in other ways. As of right now, that has meant Paul Richardson, which they could have done while paying Cousins.

Was the justification something that fans came up with or was there a statement by the Redskins organization, stating he was traded for because he would be cheaper, that I missed? I know that Gruden spoke about how he was ready for "stability at the position," speaking to the fact that Smith actually wanted to sign a long term deal here.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Very true that the team doesn't care what the fans think of their moves.

However, the purpose of this forum is to discuss their moves and think to the "future" of the franchise. At this point, do you think they are making the right moves by letting all of their free agents walk (except Hopkins)? I can understand the justification for letting Murphy walk (I agree, he didn't fit with what we ran here), but everyone going?

Absolutely. Especially for the cost of most of the FAs that have left. I cannot wait for Galette to sign the big contract he wants as well. Hopefully Terrelle Pryor can get a decent deal somewhere (or resign here cheap). 

Breeland, was abused constantly and when he wasn't being abused he played lights out. I don't feel that he was "too expensive" at the cost that the Panthers paid, but it was reported that he was likely gone before the season ended, so eh.

Ryan Grant, this should be self explanatory. Not worth that contract, especially to us.

Spencer Long, could have been resigned, but he probably wanted the chance to start and we already stated we are rolling with Roullier. I don't think Long has the strength at the point of attack to be an upgrade at LG. Just my opinion.

Trent Murphy was out of position in this defense and I absolutely do not think we should, in any world, pay 7M per year to a player that is out of position.

I have stated, I would like for Zach Brown to return. I would not be opposed to Pryor returning as long as the price is very low.

I am also hoping we can resign Phil Taylor to a vet min deal to get him back. He looked good before going down for the season with an injury.

Like I said, just my opinion. I probably would have been significantly disappointed if we gave any (sans Breeland) of these players the contracts they received elsewhere. 

Archived