INDYCAR Thread

tttmikeb

Any other Indycar fans out there? 

Looks like we've got an exciting year ahead of us.  The new car looks great and should lead to even more exciting racing this year.  The results from the first race this past weekend were very positive, breaking the record for most passes at St. Pete (366).  TOUGH way to end a race...still gutted for Wickens.

If by "more exciting" you mean more control-issue crashes (I know you mean more passes, but this really feels like they rushed the new car through before getting the kinks worked out, similar to the way the did the new wing several years ago) because downforce was sacrificed.  What's kind of irking me is that they're trying to bill this as being "safer" when I'm not really convinced it is.  This was done, almost assuredly, to try and lure new/more manufacturers into the fold.  But the news of the Chevy drivers basically having to re-learn how to drive ovals in this car is concerning (because we were seeing more dangerous crashes on ovals than we were street courses) doesn't sit well.  And I don't know how they can thump their chest about 'safety' while putting a "faster car" out there that drivers aren't as familiar with simultaneously with removing the moulding that protected tires from being so exposed.

Regardless, I'm psyched for the fact that my father's 70th birthday last year gave me an excuse to splurge and buy he, my son, and I pit row suite tickets for the Grand Prix in Long Beach next month.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I don't view the new aero kit as being primarily a safety thing.  I think safety was part of the process, but I don't think it was the primary force behind it.  I think the new aero kit had more to do with A) better racing (more passes, less parade races), B) better aesthetics, and C) bringing in more manufacturers (like you said).  From what I've read/seen so far, it looks like mission accomplished on A & B.  I'm hopeful they can check the box on C as well.

Enjoy Long Beach!  Sounds like a great way to watch the race.  I'll be at Indy & Gateway with my dad, son, and brother again this year.  Still pumped to have Indycar so close to home with the return to Gateway.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting race in PHX.  I didn't get to watch it, but listened to most of it.  Sounded like it was still pretty parade-like with very little passing (other than Rossi).  I heard several people say that tire degradation would be the main factor, and they were right.  I guess I figured results would show who managed their tires the best.  Nope.  Results showed who pitted earliest and got off the worn tires the fastest, which allowed them to gain track position while those who waited to pit traveled longer on worn tires.  Bold move by Newgarden's team to opt for new tires that late, but it obviously paid off.  I'm really impressed with Wickens, and glad to see him nab a podium finish, especially with how St. Pete ended.

Archived