Joe Thomas Retiring

TitanLegend

1 minute ago, El ramster said:

No way bro. Pace, Ogden and Jones were better.. 

Then you have a ton of other guys. 

lol

he made the pro bowl every year he was healthy

and made an all pro team every year but 1
he made the 1st team all pro more time than ogden
he made hte 1st team all pro more time than pace
and he made 1st team all pro more time than jones

you're a hater

This is crazy. He was there during all the down years for the Browns. Things are looking up next season for the Browns and Thomas retires. Kind of bittersweet for one of the most dominant tackles this generation. He's definitely a H.O.F. and deserves all the praise he gets for sticking with the Browns.

Good luck to Joe Thomas. 

Just now, mistakey said:

lol

you're a hater

And doing it in a division that has featured some of the best defenses in the NFL over the last decade and a half (Ravens/Pitt).

So much respect for this guy. I'm a little surprised considering all the moves the Browns are making to build the team this offseason. I thought he would want to stick around for another year. All the best to him. Truly one of the greatest OL ever.

16 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Greatest tackle I've ever had the pleasure to watch, easy first ballot hall of famer and it's one of the great shames in the sports history he never even made it to the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, CrashMan510 said:

If he retires, 1st ballot HOF, top 3 tackle ever

I'd say you could say greatest of all time and I'd be hard pressed to argue.   People can argue Pace, Brown, Ogden and make a case....but I see him right there with all of them.

Two points that will not ever disputed IMO:

1.  The toughest LT of all time - 10,363 consecutive snaps.  No one is ever coming close to touching that that plays in the trenches.  And I'd suggest no one ever.

2.  That mark will go down as the greatest mark of longevity and endurance in ALL of professional sports.   Cal Ripken 2000+ games?  He didn't play every inning.    Other sports (baseball even more so) - you can take plays off.   You can't as a LT.

Tip my cap, he was class all the way.   

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I will literally fight anyone who ever says anything negative about Joe Thomas.

You could make a case that he never cared much about winning a Super Bowl ring for himself.

But overall the man was a foundation at left tackle, and is the kind of player you hope to hit when you pick early in the draft.

A fine career, shame he went down with injury. But he will make the Hall of Fame sooner or later I feel, even if he never did have much postseason success.

8 minutes ago, mistakey said:

lol

you're a hater

I'm not really hedging either way, but that certainly doesn't make @El ramster a hater.  All of the LT's he listed are certainly among the greatest ever and here's the thing - Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones all played in the league at the same time and there is only one LT that can make it on the first team all-pro team.  For the majority of his career, Joe Thomas has been the best LT in the league and there certainly weren't two other LT's during the bulk of his playing time that were near the caliber of Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden for him to compete against.  A guy like Tyron Smith is fantastic, for example, but he hasn't been in the league for a good portion of Thomas' career.

Archived