Joe Thomas Retiring

TitanLegend

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

There are no tackles worth #4. They can get one at the top of round 2, which is more in line with value if they want a tackle. McGlinchey could easily be there. Williams I think has a shot to be there (though I think he's a guard with those arms). Kolton Miller will probably go somewhere in round 2, so if they took him there, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever. 

Well, I would think the Patriots are in the market for a left tackle, so if the Browns want Kolton Miller, they may need to leapfrog to get him. 

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm not really hedging either way, but that certainly doesn't make @El ramster a hater.  All of the LT's he listed are certainly among the greatest ever and here's the thing - Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones all played in the league at the same time and there is only one LT that can make it on the first team all-pro team.  For the majority of his career, Joe Thomas has been the best LT in the league and there certainly weren't two other LT's during the bulk of his playing time that were near the caliber of Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden for him to compete against.  A guy like Tyron Smith is fantastic, for example, but he hasn't been in the league for a good portion of Thomas' career.

Jason Peters is a 9 time pro bowler and 6 time all pro and there was never really a debate between the two. At least as far as pass blocking goes. 

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yep not gonna lie I am irrevocably biased because of the Crackburn stuff. Total and undisputed class. Man has my eternal respect for that.

I’m familiar with the Crackburn story, but not how Joe Thomas participated. I know Joe is said to be an awesome human being, what did he do though?

Just now, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I’m familiar with the Crackburn story, but not how Joe Thomas participated. I know Joe is said to be an awesome human being, what did he do though?

Joe came in and visited Crackburn, spent time with him, and signed a bunch of stuff, but ONLY agreed to do so if no media got ahold of the story. CLASS ACT.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I actually wasn't even close to talking about myself. I'm talking on behalf of about half of the Browns forum. If you don't believe me, go re-read the Crackburn thread.

Oh, I understand. I fully remember crakburn  - I'd just hate to see so many friends get in trouble for the words of a few ignorant posters who are going for the "hot take" angle.

As a fan of the Ravens and having seen both Ogden and Thomas play, let me be the first to say, Joe Thomas was the better tackle. Not a slight to Ogden, as he clearly had a HOF career. Simply that Joe Thomas was just that damn good.

Really unfortunate to see him retire just as the Browns (seemingly) look to be getting better, but football certainly takes a toll on the body, and sometimes it's better to get out while you can and still be able to live a healthy pain free life; even if that means missing out on some other accolades.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Oh, I understand. I fully remember crakburn  - I'd just hate to see so many friends get in trouble for the words of a few ignorant posters who are going for the "hot take" angle.

Yeah, between losing JT, about the only bright spot in this entire organization for a decade

AND

the part about him being a future HOF retiring

AND

everything he did for Crackburn/this city

AND

how bleak things are/have been while getting trolled the last 3 years especially...it has the recipe for a breaking point.

37 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:
Edit: Now confirmed -

That is absolutely insane. In other words, when the defense was rushing the passer Thomas only allowed a sack on .0045% of his snaps over his ENTIRE career. Easily one of the greatest.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Joe came in and visited Crackburn, spent time with him, and signed a bunch of stuff, but ONLY agreed to do so if no media got ahold of the story. CLASS ACT.

That’s great to here. Joe is to Cleveland what Kyle Williams is to Buffalo. Kyle is/was a great player but Joe is obviously a first ballot HOF’er. Gotta have love for guys that are leaders and stay with franchises no matter how bad they are because they love the community that much.

35 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

30 sacks in 11 years is just an ungodly good number.

Aaaaah, so what? My main man Winston Justice gave up 6 sacks in 1 game, against Osi Umenyiora and the Giants, 2007! Took Joe Thomas 11 years, to give up 30???

Oh, wait.................

Image result for Winston Justice

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, opposing DE's crapped on him a bunch first.

Can’t block for Hail Mary’s 30 times a game and expect not to get beat from time to time.

On a side note, we won as many games with Drango starting as we did with Thomas, so there’s that.

And to think he spent his whole career with no playoff appearances and only ONE winning season, which was his rookie year.

Man, did this organization fail him. He still loved Cleveland, so mad respect for him despite being on such a lousy team year after year.

Archived