Joe Thomas Retiring

TitanLegend

Joe Thomas was the very definition of a perfect left tackle. I have the utmost respect for him and wish him the best in his future pursuits. If only J.T. could have had owners and executives with half of the talent and drive to be great as he had, he would have multiple rings by now.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

lol

he made the pro bowl every year he was healthy

and made an all pro team every year but 1
he made the 1st team all pro more time than ogden
he made hte 1st team all pro more time than pace
and he made 1st team all pro more time than jones

you're a hater

Um... Pace and Ogden were playing at the same time as one another, so legitimately only one of them could make the 1st team All-Pro in a given year.  In the case of Ogden the only year he didn't make either the 1st team or 2nd team All-Pro in his career was 2005.  So he literally did everything you're talking up Thomas for doing... and with greater level of competition for those spots (sorry, but it's true there haven't been very many if any guys I would say that are 1st ballot HOF LT's that have played in the era of Joe Thomas other than Joe Thomas).

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I'm not really hedging either way, but that certainly doesn't make @El ramster a hater.  All of the LT's he listed are certainly among the greatest ever and here's the thing - Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones all played in the league at the same time and there is only one LT that can make it on the first team all-pro team.  For the majority of his career, Joe Thomas has been the best LT in the league and there certainly weren't two other LT's during the bulk of his playing time that were near the caliber of Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden for him to compete against.  A guy like Tyron Smith is fantastic, for example, but he hasn't been in the league for a good portion of Thomas' career.

Tyron Smith has been in the league since 2011. That's the last 6 years. Joe Thomas only has 4 more years of experience. Tyron has definitely been in the league the same amount of time as Joe Thomas. Joe has just been on another level. But he has definitely had competition for that LT spot in the All Pro category. 

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

lol

he made the pro bowl every year he was healthy

and made an all pro team every year but 1
he made the 1st team all pro more time than ogden
he made hte 1st team all pro more time than pace
and he made 1st team all pro more time than jones

you're a hater

Because those 3, Willie Roaf, and Tony Boselli were all playing at the same time.

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Um... Pace and Ogden were playing at the same time as one another, so legitimately only one of them could make the 1st team All-Pro in a given year.  In the case of Ogden the only year he didn't make either the 1st team or 2nd team All-Pro in his career was 2005.  So he literally did everything you're talking up Thomas for doing... and with greater level of competition for those spots (sorry, but it's true there haven't been very many if any guys I would say that are 1st ballot HOF LT's that have played in the era of Joe Thomas other than Joe Thomas).

Walter Jones and Tony Boselli also.

50 minutes ago, bzane said:

Oh, hey, gosh, @Darth Pees, I think Joe Thomas is an All-Time Great at offensive tackle; the Ultimate Team Player- all those games, all those snaps, played at a Pro Bowl level, for such a losing team!- a HELL of a man, and a personal hero of mine!!!!!

So ah, no need for us to fight, okay? Ha, ha! I mean, we're friends, right? Ha, ha!

(Also, I've seen how feisty you can get on here- I wouldn't want to try it! Besides- fighting's against my religion- I'm a Devout Coward)

Image result for Joe Thomas

That's it, pal, drop the gloves!

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So a guy doesn’t miss a SNAP in 10 seasons, plays though MCL tears, etc doesn’t have a passion for the game?

Kudos to you sir on the hottest of hot takez.

Perhaps I phrased that in a manner that came off wrong.

But he had opportunities to leave Cleveland if he wanted to pursue team oriented success, and chose not to. He had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go to the NFL draft and go on stage after being drafted top 5 for his family and friends to share that moment, and chose to go fishing, which I believe he probably could do again in his lifetime.

I guess I should say that team accolades and personal achievements as they pertain to football did not place a high priority on what Joe Thomas wanted to accomplish. Is that better?

Some guys in sports, like Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, Ichiro, they live and breath their sport in every moment. Joe Thomas is simply cut from a different cloth.

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Perhaps I phrased that in a manner that came off wrong.

But he had opportunities to leave Cleveland if he wanted to pursue team oriented success, and chose not to. He had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go to the NFL draft and go on stage after being drafted top 5 for his family and friends to share that moment, and chose to go fishing, which I believe he probably could do again in his lifetime.

He shared it with his father doing something they love together as opposed to preening for cameras.  How does this impact or prove his love of the sport?

I guess I should say that team accolades and personal achievements as they pertain to football did not place a high priority on what Joe Thomas wanted to accomplish. Is that better?

Better? Idk, but it’s different than what you initially said.  Maybe personally achievements don’t matter, but something tells me a guy who plays 10k consecutive snaps, even when his team is losing in meaningless games may care a bit about personal achievements.

Some guys in sports, like Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, Ichiro, they live and breath their sport in every moment. Joe Thomas is simply cut from a different cloth.

Based on what exactly?  You literally know none of these people whose personalities you’re describing.

Archived