Extension Candidates

Royal_VT

Multi - Year Cap Table (Spotrac)

Who would you like to see us lock up for a few more years this off-season? I know there has been some disappointment in how we have spent our remaining cup thus far (Keenum, not getting any of the premier OL, etc). The best way to grow as a team is to never let players hit the open market, and have them for under market value for their prime. Obviously not every player is down for this, and who can blame them with the $$ being spent. It worked well with Chris Harris, but some of that had to have been the understanding that a defense with that many playmakers had to come at a sacrifice to a few.

Players I'd like to see us lock up longer term this offseason : Matt Paradis, Connor McGovern, Shelby Harris, Shaq Barrett, Bradley Roby, Justin Simmons

27 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think they will offer extensions to Roby and the Paradis and sure I hope offer one to Shaq Barrett but he is going to want to get paid. Pass rushers are not a dime a dozen and there's a good chance Shaq opts to test the market. 

A second round pick is nice.

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

Next year he can't be tendered again. 

Im saying if he leaves this year. They really either have to let him walk or sign him right now. I wouldn't mind paying him Brandon Graham Vinny Curry money nothing more. Not enough playing time imo.

Would also like to ge Sheldon Richardson on the cheap.

I think Paradis is a no brainer candidate for an extension. Barrett, I'm not so sure. I think it honestly depends how this draft goes. Simmons will get extended, but not next year because he can't. McGovern, there's no chance right now because there's no reason to. Harris will be a candidate depending on his play this year, IMO.

Roby is an interesting case. They have the 5th year on him now, but he's never technically started so it's a little but interesting to see how it plays out. If he plays poorly, I would not be shocked if he doesn't come back. I don't think it's a slam dunk.

36 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think Paradis is a no brainer candidate for an extension. Barrett, I'm not so sure. I think it honestly depends how this draft goes. Simmons will get extended, but not next year because he can't. McGovern, there's no chance right now because there's no reason to. Harris will be a candidate depending on his play this year, IMO.

Roby is an interesting case. They have the 5th year on him now, but he's never technically started so it's a little but interesting to see how it plays out. If he plays poorly, I would not be shocked if he doesn't come back. I don't think it's a slam dunk.

We'll learn something there. If they don't extend him then they're ready to move on with McGovern .

Kinda interesting, center is one of the OL spots where you definitely want stability and longevity. Shouldn't be a revolving door there.

55 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

13 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We'll learn something there. If they don't extend him then they're ready to move on with McGovern .

Kinda interesting, center is one of the OL spots where you definitely want stability and longevity. Shouldn't be a revolving door there.

I think Elway will certainly explore an extension - but only once Paradis shows he can handle power rushers again.  In both run and pass pro, he got absolutely abused by power rushers in 2017.

I covered it elsewhere, but there are 2 explanations, equally likely - the good one is that he didn't have any time for strength/conditioning before 2017, recovery from bilateral hip surgery.  So he lost power and functional strength that he should have back after a full season of training.  The bad explanation is that the hip surgery recovery has left him with just that critical amount of lost power / functional strength...permanently.  

One outcome you extend, the other you let walk.   His play in preseason and September/October will guide Elway here.   Now, if he sees enough in the preseason, maybe we hear about it sooner.  But I bet that's why we haven't heard anything yet, they want to see how strong Paradis is.   When he's at 2016 form, he's literally a top 3 C.   When he was at 2017 form, he was actually close to a bottom-10 performer.   We know he's smart enough, and has the intangibles in droves.   

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I like the Todd Davis signing let me explain before I get killed. Pff grades the run and pass davis was a 77 average. Anthony Hitchens was 80 and got 4 more mill a year. 

I’m not a fan of the Davis signing unless this team can bring in a cover LB of some sort.  Davis is damn good vs the run, he also seems to be a leader on the team.  He just can’t cover and was put in far too many situations that asked him to cover TEs and LBs.

Davis was the best LB on the roster though.  Brandon Marshall was awful and it’s been 2 years of this now after he was given a lucrative contract.  I know there’s been talk that he’s been battling injuries, but he isn’t at all reliable.  Marshall’s contract is far more troublesome on this team than Davis’.

Just now, germ-x said:

I’m not a fan of the Davis signing unless this team can bring in a cover LB of some sort.  Davis is damn good vs the run, he also seems to be a leader on the team.  He just can’t cover and was put in far too many situations that asked him to cover TEs and LBs.

Davis was the best LB on the roster though.  Brandon Marshall was awful and it’s been 2 years of this now after he was given a lucrative contract.  I know there’s been talk that he’s been battling injuries, but he isn’t at all reliable.  Marshall’s contract is far more troublesome on this team than Davis’.

I'm just saying context  is key take a step back and it's not an outlandish signing. I'd like a cover lb. Edmunds Marshall Davis Miller is an amazing 4 lbs. Davis can come out on passing downs.

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Davis PFF numbers are misleading because it assumes the opposition is equal and doesn’t incorporate game script.   He’s a complete zero in pass coverage.  He also has shown zero improvement the last 2 years there and for LB it’s not as difficult a position to learn.  That means he has no chance to be better.  And on our D that’s the weakness teams know to exploit... as they did time and again last year.  He’s a really good run thumper and so he would be a good fit for a team that can cover up his weaknesses.  We aren’t that team.  That’s the issue.  

Marshall hasn’t been good.  Injury related it is but that was the risk.  So it’s not an absolution on him.  But we were stuck with Marshall.  We weren’t stuck with Davis.   That’s a huge distinction.  

It’s an awful decision by Elway.  Not just because the $ is wasted but we will waste snaps on him. When we need to develop a guy who has the hope that he can give us more.   We have zero shot to contend with Davis.  We have a better shot if we find a guy who can bring better skills than Davis long term.  

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Davis PFF numbers are misleading because it assumes the opposition is equal and doesn’t incorporate game script.   He’s a complete zero in pass coverage.  He also has shown zero improvement the last 2 years there and for LB it’s not as difficult a position to learn.  That means he has no chance to be better.  And on our D that’s the weakness teams know to exploit... as they did time and again last year.  He’s a really good run thumper and so he would be a good fit for a team that can cover up his weaknesses.  We aren’t that team.  That’s the issue.  

Marshall hasn’t been good.  Injury related it is but that was the risk.  So it’s not an absolution on him.  But we were stuck with Marshall.  We weren’t stuck with Davis.   That’s a huge distinction.  

It’s an awful decision by Elway.  Not just because the $ is wasted but we will waste snaps on him. When we need to develop a guy who has the hope that he can give us more.   We have zero shot to contend with Davis.  We have a better shot if we find a guy who can bring better skills than Davis long term.  

I have to disagree. We can't go into the draft with no one at that position.

Developing a guy is ideal but who exactly is that guy? If he were on the roster this move might not have been made.

Archived