Extension Candidates

Royal_VT

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You're asking the wrong Q - Davis gives zero hope we will be better there when we can contend.   Another guy will give us more hope when we can contend - and the risk of poorer play is acceptable, and the chance we can replace Davis even this year is a lot higher than zero - which is what Davis offers in improving our ILB weaknessess.  Your line of thinking is in line with trying to contend for 2018.   We realistically cannot.   That and the devaluation of ILB makes this a very different situation than other positions.   

It's much like RB - we're about to cut Anderson in all likelihood, and let Booker/D-Henderson play with a rookie for our spots, even knowing Booker is for sure only a 3rd down back, and D-Henderson didn't even see the field but spot duty for 2 games, and one sadly against the KC 2nd string D.   Those are the 2 positions where it's actually very defendable to pursue.

But like you said coverage linebackers can be found late so why does it matter? Lets get a space eater to replace peko and go from there.

The corner signings remind me of Andre Goodman. Solid player but not a game changer. 

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But like you said coverage linebackers can be found late so why does it matter? Lets get a space eater to replace peko and go from there.

The corner signings remind me of Andre Goodman. Solid player but not a game changer. 

I said ILB can cover AND defend the run can be had late.   That’s how you upgrade LB.  Like Trevathan and healthy Marshall upgraded us.   Instead of wasting $ and downs on a guy who can’t upgrade it.  And no hope for the future.  

We certainly can agree on the CB signings.  Good value and they bring hope we upgrade on our current 3rd-4th CB’s.   Low cost and no future risk either. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I said ILB can cover AND defend the run can be had late.   That’s how you upgrade LB.  Like Trevathan and healthy Marshall upgraded us.   Instead of wasting $ and downs on a guy who can’t upgrade it.  And no hope for the future.  

But a run stopper is a dying bread and our run d was top 5 why waste that? I think its a neutral move. 

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But a run stopper is a dying bread and our run d was top 5 why waste that? I think its a neutral move. 

Because we aren’t a contender or even better without better ILB pass coverage.  

A run stopper only LB is a dying breed because in today’s NFL because you need to be able to be at least serviceable in pass coverage nowadays.   You just answered your own Q.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You're asking the wrong Q - Davis gives zero hope we will be better there when we can contend.   Another guy will give us more hope when we can contend - and the risk of poorer play is acceptable, and the chance we can replace Davis even this year is a lot higher than zero - which is what Davis offers in improving our ILB weaknessess.  Your line of thinking is in line with trying to contend for 2018.   We realistically cannot.   That and the devaluation of ILB makes this a very different situation than other positions.   

It's much like RB - we're about to cut Anderson in all likelihood, and let Booker/D-Henderson play with a rookie for our spots, even knowing Booker is for sure only a 3rd down back, and D-Henderson didn't even see the field but spot duty for 2 games, and one sadly against the KC 2nd string D.   Those are the 2 positions where it's actually very defendable to pursue.

We just disagree, no big deal.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because we aren’t a contender or even better without better ILB pass coverage.  

A run stopper only LB is a dying breed because in today’s NFL because you need to be able to be at least serviceable in pass coverage nowadays.   You just answered your own Q.  

We're definitely better top 5 with harris and a guy like Poe. I just don't think that you need either or get both. We have 10 picks and counting. 

2018 is gonna be about time of possession that is clear stopping the run is two thirds of it. 3rd down is the last 3rd.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Lol agreed. But it’s also fun to talk it out.  

You're banging the table to improve the roster in all areas to me a run stopping defense is better than a 3rd wr.

The lb corpses shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum like a nt shouldn't be either.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

You're banging the table to improve the roster in all areas to me a run stopping defense is better than a 3rd wr.

If I was arguing to pass on a 3rd WR in FA and only draft them I’d see your point.   Otherwise it’s a complete straw man argument 

Shelby Harris kind of reminds me of our Malik Jackson predicament, but a lesser talent. We really, really missed the chance to sign Jackson to a long term deal before the 15/16 season when Elway still hadn't made his mind up between Wolfe and Jackson. Needless to say, Elway chose wrong there.

Anyway, back to Harris ... I think he's an excellent player with a unique skill set of being able to provide pressure inside whilst being stout against the run. I can't help but think we could've signed him to a 2/3 year deal in October/November to prevent him (in my opinion) leaving this time next year to a very big contract.

For me, the price will have to be right with Paradis. Dude is tough as nails, but he's got a pretty bad injury list already and it's a position which, in my opinion, can be masked easier than most starting positions in the NFL. 

Roby is going to get paid here in my opinion. Starting calibre CB's with his length and speed are rare. I would be surprised if we don't tag him if we can't reach a long term deal.

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

I’m not a fan of the Davis signing unless this team can bring in a cover LB of some sort.  Davis is damn good vs the run, he also seems to be a leader on the team.  He just can’t cover and was put in far too many situations that asked him to cover TEs and LBs.

That's on the coaches (Vance and Joe Woods) for putting him in that position. We need to scheme better and use our available talent better, they didn't do this last year despite having Corey Nelson, who's now with Philly, on the team who was superior in coverage to Davis (Nelson wasn't Danny T, but he was markedly better than Davis). So I put that on the coaches. 

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's on the coaches (Vance and Joe Woods) for putting him in that position. We need to scheme better and use our available talent better, they didn't do this last year despite having Corey Nelson, who's now with Philly, on the team who was superior in coverage to Davis (Nelson wasn't Danny T, but he was markedly better than Davis). So I put that on the coaches. 

I don’t disagree with that at all.  Coaching is ultimately about putting players in a position to be successful.  A great example is the Giants game, where Davis was asked multiple times to cover Evan Engram (6’3” 235 with 4.4 speed) not really Davis’ fault he got burned that game, everyone knows he can’t cover and was asked to do so many times.

Archived