Eric Ebron cut by Lions

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, bzane said:

CBS Sports gave the Lions' pick of Ebron a C- at the time. One guy thought it was a good move; the other two called it a "lugzhury" pick.

Well it might have been a C- for Detroit but that was an A+ pick for Minnesota, Green Bay and Chicago, especially considering who else they could've had!

"We wuntz dem guis who catch da ball n stuff!"

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didnt they draft several WRs in a row and Nick Fairley in the 1st? It happens 

I remember analysts predicting that the Lions take Donald, OBJ, Lewan, or Martin and passing on Ebron because of his history of drops in College. Mayhew was like Millen 2.0 for us.

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Can't come up with a more fitting example than Ebron when I tell people it's a bad idea to take a tight end in the first round. 

Since 2000, you have more hits than misses IMO. Not all world guys, but solid-to very good. 

Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, Dallas Clark, Kellen Winslow, Ben Watson, Heath Miller, Vernon Davis, Mercedes Lewis, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Brandon Pettigrew, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, jury out on Howard/Engram/Njoku.

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm not hating. I was honestly more impressed with Fells than with Ebron. Dude ain't good.

but your wrong, hes very serviceable at what he does. you called him an awful player. its like saying im not impressed with danielle hunter, like ok, you can have that opinion, its just wrong . not all opinions are good ones.

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

but your wrong, hes very serviceable at what he does. you called him an awful player. its like saying im not impressed with danielle hunter, like ok, you can have that opinion, its just wrong . not all opinions are good ones.

I totally agree.

Count me as one of the people then that don't think very highly of Eric Ebron.

I think Detroit can do better than Ebron. I imagine with their 2nd or 3rd pick they take one of the top Tight Ends and will be happy with that.

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I totally agree.

I think Detroit can do better than Ebron. I imagine with their 2nd or 3rd pick they take one of the top Tight Ends and will be happy with that.

that may be the case but is kinda irrelevant to your initial statement.  ebron still isnt awful and you were still hating. id love for the falcons to take a look, most teams would id imagine.

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didnt they draft several WRs in a row and Nick Fairley in the 1st? It happens 

I'm too lazy to look it up but I don't remember the last time they drafted a wide-out since Kyle FUller's brother and Titus Young who were never going to a true #1's either and was only meant to be a complimentary to play opposite of CJ(which they had needed badly at the time). Now yes, there was a point in time(Millen era) when it was kind of a running joke because it seemed like the Lions were using thier first pick on a WR every single year, but that's been well over a decade ago. 

The Lions drafted Ebron in hopes that he could be a flex combo in Lombardi's offense to give Stafford a big target in the seam, the RZ and in the slot. Similar to what Graham was to Brees in Payton offense. FYI, Lombardi's offense was from the Payton coaching tree.

Now, obviously things didn't go as planned as he was never a real threat and ultimately became what he is today and that's nothing more than a situational TE. But while it's easy to criticize the pick using the benefit of hindsight it was legit pick that made sense at the time. 

And I'm not sure what Fairley has to do with either Suh or Donald? Not to come off as a jerk, but What's your point here?

Suh and Donald were both natural 3-techs coming out of college, Fairley was not. Fairley was a perfect combo match to Suh as a NT(1-tech).

Now, while we know NOW that Donald is an absolute monster (that could probably play cornerback and still wreak havoc, again, thanks to the benefit of hindsight) and no doubt could have filled that position and did it well. At the time of the draft the Lions would have been MURDERED by the media and fans taking Donald when they already had Suh. Instead, they got applauded for (surprisingly) taking Fairley who was a great compliment. As a Bears fan, I was deadly afraid of what Suh paired with Fairley were going to do with to our OL. 

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Since 2000, you have more hits than misses IMO. Not all world guys, but solid-to very good. 

Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, Dallas Clark, Kellen Winslow, Ben Watson, Heath Miller, Vernon Davis, Mercedes Lewis, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Brandon Pettigrew, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, jury out on Howard/Engram/Njoku.

What is conspicuous in that list of players are the guys not mentioned: Gronk, Witten, Jimmy Graham, Gates.

The truly transcendent tight ends, the guys who dominated and will be remembered, were not first round picks. 

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Todd Heap was 31st overall.  Drew Brees was taken one pick later.  Late first round is fine for tight ends.  28-32.  There's usually a better option though.

Was Shockey really worth the 14th overall pick?  Did that really help the franchise?  He was a piece of crap person that the Giants were trying to trade at the end of his time there, caused more headaches than touchdowns in New York, had only 37 career touchdowns, and instead of the Giants missing a beat when he goes on IR after week 15 of his last year in New York, the Giants win the Super Bowl. 

Dallas Clark had three good years for the Colts four years after he was drafted.  Don't know why you think he was a great first round pick.  24th overall, too.  Larry Johnson went three picks later.  12 players went to pro bowls who were taken after him up to the 3rd round.  Jason Witten was a third round pick that year and he's still going strong and he was just as good a tight end.  Nnamdi Asomoguh was also a late first that year.  Tillman an early second.  With a team like the Colts who struggled every year on defense and had Peyton Manning... A tight end was a bad pick there. 

Are you serious with Kellen Winslow?  He was a sixth overall pick and you think he was a good decision?  Ben Roethlisberger went five picks later and you're telling me tight end was a good choice sixth overall?

Ben Watson was the 32nd overall pick in the draft.  His career is a model for average tight end play. 

Heath Miller was the 30th overall pick in the draft. 

Vernon Davis was the sixth overall pick in the draft and if you think his career for the Niners was worth the sixth overall pick, I'd sure wish you were a competing GM in the NFC North. 

Marcedes Lewis was the 28th overall pick in the draft. 

Greg Olsen was the 31st overall pick in the draft.

Dustin Keller?  The one who had 17 career touchdowns?  He was 30th overall and STILL not worth it. 

Brandon Pettigrew?!?!?!?!  You think Brandon Pettigrew was worth the 20th overall pick in the draft?  He had 17 touchdowns in 7 seasons before the Lions cut him and he wasn't signed by anyone else. 

Jermaine Gresham?  Not worth the 21st overall pick in the draft.  Not with 9.9 average and 29 touchdowns in 8 seasons. 

Tyler Eiffert was not worth the 20th overall pick in the draft. 

If you're drafting a tight end in the 28-32 range, you can live with that.  If you're drafting a tight end in the 1-25 range, you'd better be finding a Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates, Gonzalez, Witten... Not a Gresham, Watson...

8 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

that may be the case but is kinda irrelevant to your initial statement.  ebron still isnt awful and you were still hating. id love for the falcons to take a look, most teams would id imagine.

I wasn't backtracking.

If you feel that it's "hating" since I have a very low opinion of Ebron and different opinion from you, then that's whatever.

18 hours ago, RamRod said:

Wow

The Browns drafted Justin Gilbert right before Ebron as well (2 picks technically). They then drafted JFF with the 1st round pick they got for Trent Richardson, making it an "everybody loses" trade.

Yay Browns and Lions.

Someday, they're meeting in the Super Bowl. 

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I totally agree.

i agree...we had Fauria for a Undrafted FA and he put up better numbers in redzone and was so much fun....and basically free!!! Never draft a TE in round 1....never....idc if its Gronk...the value isn't there for me....especially when you have a dumb coach that will just run in shotgun two plays and then everyone knows its time to throw and ohh nice in the dirt or a sack..

Archived