1 team to make playoffs, 1 to miss

Johnny Nix

Pick a team that isn't a popular pick to make the playoffs this year. 

Pick a team that is a popular playoff pick to miss the playoffs. 

Explain why

heres mine:

Miss Playoffs-

Oakland Raiders

put me in the group of doubters. I need to see the Raiders do it again this year to be fully on board as a team that has completely turned the corner. I think they have a lot of good players on both sides of the ball, but I still don't fully trust Jack Del Rio as a coach. Plus their schedule will be a lot tougher this year.

Projected finish: 8-8

Make Playoffs

Cincinnati Bengals

Yes it's a homer pick. However I think a ton of people are sleeping on this team. They had made the playoffs every year since 2011 before last season. Last season, they lost 7 games by a touchdown or less. They also lost arguably 3 games solely due to Mike Nugent inability to kick a field goal/extra point. They have added a few rookies that are expected to make an immediate impact in John Ross, Joe Mixon, Jordan Willis, and Carl Lawson. Finally, they have like the 3rd or 4th easiest schedule in the NFL this year. 

Projected finish:

10-6

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the easiest one would be 

In: Tennessee Titans

Out: Houston Texans

and it's due to the QB, and that I think Tennessee has finally built a balanced roster, even though it doesn't compare to Houston's great defense. 

I think most people are picking the Titans to make the playoffs this year

I'm going to pick one from each conference:

AFC IN: Tennessee Titans - Fairly obvious choice, but the Titans have an offense that can play ball control, can engage in a shootout, and a field general who can get them going regardless of the situation. The defense is good enough to keep pace, with a secondary that has some big play potential. 

NFC IN: Carolina Panthers - Is it just me, or does Cam Newton have a monster season every odd year? Pro Bowl nods in 2011, 2013 and an NFL MVP in 2015 and regressions in 2012, 2014, and 2016. So, this funky trend has to keep going, right? Won't hurt that he's got a pair of Swiss Army knives in Christian McCaffery and Curtis Samuel, the dependable Greg Olson and oversized WRs Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess to work with. The defense had a year to grow out of the Josh Norman era, so it should make some strides too.

AFC OUT: Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill was never considered a great QB, but he got the job done. Slogging through a full 16 with either Matt Moore, Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, Brock Osweiler? Jay Ajayi already nursing a concussion? The 'fins already had an uphill battle, but it just got much worse.

NFC OUT: Dallas Cowboys - I really like what the Cowboys have done, with their OL and the offense as a whole. But that defense is something that you can't rely on, it's a significant weakness. With a potential Zeke Elliott suspension, you're really expecting Dak Prescott to shoulder the load, which is a lot of pressure on the shoulder of a 2nd year player.

40 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

NFC IN: Carolina Panthers - Is it just me, or does Cam Newton have a monster season every odd year? Pro Bowl nods in 2011, 2013 and an NFL MVP in 2015 and regressions in 2012, 2014, and 2016. So, this funky trend has to keep going, right? Won't hurt that he's got a pair of Swiss Army knives in Christian McCaffery and Curtis Samuel, the dependable Greg Olson and oversized WRs Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess to work with. The defense had a year to grow out of the Josh Norman era, so it should make some strides too.

NFC OUT: Dallas Cowboys - I really like what the Cowboys have done, with their OL and the offense as a whole. But that defense is something that you can't rely on, it's a significant weakness. With a potential Zeke Elliott suspension, you're really expecting Dak Prescott to shoulder the load, which is a lot of pressure on the shoulder of a 2nd year player.

Good post. The AFC side.. I think more people expect the Titans to make the playoffs than the Fins so nothing really unexpected there.

I'll give it a try

NFC In:  Philadelphia.  Last season they were 1-8 in one score games.  They have to improve that, right?  Plus, entz has a year under his belt

NFC Out:  As noted above, I say Dallas.  Most of the reasons I would point out are already started by @eliteTexans80 above.  But I'll add that dallas was also 7-2 in one score games.  If Philly improves in those, someone has to slip.

AFC In:  The homer in me just can't let it slip.  Cincy was a -3 in Pythagorean wins last year and lost five games by 5 or less points plus the tie.  My non homer pick would be the Colts.  No one expects much from them.  But in the AFCS, anything can happen, especially when you have the top QB in the division.

Out  Houston.  27h in DVOA last year, they barely squeaked in.  Watt is back, but what about QB?  Their losses last year were by an AVERAGE 13.3 points.  Their defense is great, but t\can they score?  Fuller being out for part of the season won't help.  The rest of the AFCS is improving as well.

Archived