Lions released TE Eric Ebron

flyguy1609

I don't have a problem with cutting him for the most part, I do believe it's possible he plays better somewhere else but he just wasn't getting it done here so freeing up the space makes complete sense. I do however agree with IDOG, I hope they have something lined up because at this point we've added/re-signed nothing but depth players, if this team is going to take a step forward they need to add quality starters, not rotation players. Doesn't have to be a huge name like Suh, but they need starters at multiple positions, one of those spots should be filled with a starting caliber player.

24 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Actually it's $8.25 million, his contract had no garauntees until 4pm. And yes it matters. It means we have money to address the holes we have. 

I mean yeah I get it but like... WHO? and they created another hole.... and they already have money... I'd of understood if they used up all the money and still had holes to fill.

I'm with the one guy that said it has to be telegraphing an attempt to bring in a big money player like Suh. Otherwise they just look like they didn't know how to handle him imo. I mean there is no good replacement option available really unless people like Seferain Jenkins better or Ed Dickson better for cheaper.

TE was a hole anyways.  Ebron was not starter caliber.  he couldn't block, couldn't catch and made $8M a year.  I don't think this adds a hole, it just reduces what we would be paying our backup TE. 

I am guessing we make more moves but we also need money to pay our draft class.  I am guessing we make a few more solid low end starters and try to improve through the draft.  Its the NE way that Quinn comes from. 

20 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

TE was a hole anyways.  Ebron was not starter caliber.  he couldn't block, couldn't catch and made $8M a year.  I don't think this adds a hole, it just reduces what we would be paying our backup TE. 

I am guessing we make more moves but we also need money to pay our draft class.  I am guessing we make a few more solid low end starters and try to improve through the draft.  Its the NE way that Quinn comes from. 

The problem, of course, is the same one the Lions always face.

That approach only works when a team has established a winning culture. When you have a core, a tradition, a "way," then you can fill in with solid low end guys.

Lions coaches typically get 2-3 years to establish a culture. By year 3, if you haven't caught fire, then there's no more momentum, your low end guys aren't outperforming their status, and you never reach the stage where that one true blockbuster FA deal will put you over the top.

26 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The problem, of course, is the same one the Lions always face.

That approach only works when a team has established a winning culture. When you have a core, a tradition, a "way," then you can fill in with solid low end guys.

Lions coaches typically get 2-3 years to establish a culture. By year 3, if you haven't caught fire, then there's no more momentum, your low end guys aren't outperforming their status, and you never reach the stage where that one true blockbuster FA deal will put you over the top.

It's possible that the Fords will give Quinn/Patricia a little more time.

All of us are doom and gloom right now because one of the worst draft picks in our history due for a hefty cap hit vs production was cut. This is the second day of the legal tampering period and first official league day. There are plenty of other big names available on the market and there are some cuts on the way. Maybe we should take a page out of the Packers playbook and R-E-L-A-X.

Oh, I'm not doom and g

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's possible that the Fords will give Quinn/Patricia a little more time.

All of us are doom and gloom right now because one of the worst draft picks in our history due for a hefty cap hit vs production was cut. This is the second day of the legal tampering period and first official league day. There are plenty of other big names available on the market and there are some cuts on the way. Maybe we should take a page out of the Packers playbook and R-E-L-A-X.

I'm not doom and gloom about Ebron at all. It's too bad we couldn't get a late round pick for him, but oh well.

But to go back to the previous point, it doesn't matter how long a coach gets from ownership. The window is 2-3 years to establish something or you lose steam and have no shot to keep progressing.

7 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Oh, I'm not doom and g

I'm not doom and gloom about Ebron at all. It's too bad we couldn't get a late round pick for him, but oh well.

But to go back to the previous point, it doesn't matter how long a coach gets from ownership. The window is 2-3 years to establish something or you lose steam and have no shot to keep progressing.

Not you specifically but there's a lot of Lions fans freaking out about not signing some of these top level guys along with the release of Ebron. He hasn't done enough to justify the salary and teams knew he could be a cut candidate. No one wanted him at $8.25M guaranteed, even for a late round pick.

I'm going to trust the process and give this a bit more time. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid but definitely not jumping ship either. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Yeah well, the same guys say the same dumb stuff every year. 

The Lions sign a backup that they need, and they whine about "why is THAT guy a priority?" Like there's some rule that you have to sign guys in order of biggest team need, or contract size. 

They've been saying the same things in this forum for ten years. I just shake my head.

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The Lions sign a backup that they need, and they whine about "why is THAT guy a priority?" Like there's some rule that you have to sign guys in order of biggest team need, or contract size. 

They've been saying the same things in this forum for ten years. I just shake my head.

I think this is in the wrong thread. 

14 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Agreed on nearly all accounts.

18 hours ago, DOBSON10 said:

I don't have a problem with cutting him for the most part, I do believe it's possible he plays better somewhere else but he just wasn't getting it done here so freeing up the space makes complete sense. I do however agree with IDOG, I hope they have something lined up because at this point we've added/re-signed nothing but depth players, if this team is going to take a step forward they need to add quality starters, not rotation players. Doesn't have to be a huge name like Suh, but they need starters at multiple positions, one of those spots should be filled with a starting caliber player.

no i think they just cut him and have no plans...O.o lol...im sure they have all the plans they need

Archived