DEN signs CB Tramaine Brock 1 yr, 4M

Broncofan

First posted on NFL News, but realized no one reported its own thread here, so... he's likely to be our 3rd CB with Talib gone....

2016 he was the only serviceable CB on SF,  and has played decently (not great) before then - his TDs given up in SF reflects the fact that whole D just couldn't stop anyone, his play was actually quite good on tape (but he was literally left alone, and had to cover guys for 4+ secs with no pass rush).   And he couldn't crack a strong MIN secondary for much PT.   But the price is right, so it's a low risk deal.

He did have a DV arrest, but fortunately got cleared - and in this day and age, you don't get cleared unless there are really no flags.   So this seems like a low-risk signing, the kind we need given our cap situation, and so many needs across the board.

I will go out on a limb given the optics of Talib's departure, that this signing will be announced with as little fanfare as possible.   But I like the potential return here, as he clearly has skills, and he would be taking a role that suits his past strengths.  

The interesting twist we'll have to follow - how much TJ Carrie gets.   Apparently it was down to Carrie and Brock. I like both guys as slot 3rd CB's, how much Carrie gets, and how they perform will be fun to watch.

Carrie's apparently going to CLE.

EDIT:  Holy hell, I see why we went Brock.  Give me Brock every day at that value difference.  Wow GM Dorsey lol.

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The interesting twist we'll have to follow - how much TJ Carrie gets.   Apparently it was down to Carrie and Brock. I like both guys as slot 3rd CB's, how much Carrie gets, and how they perform will be fun to watch.

Carrie's apparently going to CLE.

EDIT:  Holy hell, I see why we went Brock.  Give me Brock every day at that value difference.  Wow GM Dorsey lol.

Didn't the raiders secondary suck?

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Didn't the raiders secondary suck?

As a whole, yes.   He was the one guy who could cover, when they moved him to the slot.

Now, they have Gareon Conley, their OSU 1st round pick, who lost the season due to shin splints...and that's it.   As long of a season as 2018 is likely for us, OAK is in as bad shape, with the shape their D is in.   The AFCW is just there for LAC to run away with.  KC's the closest, but they have more work to do on D (Hitchens helps their LB, and Fuller is a great slot CB too, but that's the one area Stephen Nelson excelled at - losing Peters, and not upgrading pass rush further with Houston declining, it's all on Jones & Ford there now).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

As a whole, yes.   He was the one guy who could cover, when they moved him to the slot.

Now, they have Gareon Conley, their OSU 1st round pick, who lost the season due to shin splints...and that's it.   As long of a season as 2018 is likely for us, OAK is in as bad shape, with the shape their D is in.   The AFCW is just there for LAC to run away with.  KC's the closest, but they have more work to do on D (Hitchens helps their LB, and Fuller is a great slot CB too, but that's the one area Stephen Nelson excelled at - losing Peters, and not upgrading pass rush further with Houston declining, it's all on Jones & Ford there now).

Were we in on Patrick Robinson? Loved that guy he's returning to new orleans.

Archived