Vikings trade for Trevor Siemen, QB

CriminalMind

At least we didn't trade for DeShone Kizer.. 

I had a feeling we would be interested in him, but I thought Denver would end up cutting him.

I feel pretty confident about our QB group this year. Cousins is at worst a top 15 QB, Siemian should be an adequate backup, and Sloter is the developmental guy.

It's unfortunate that Teddy Bridgewater didn't work out, and neither did Sam Bradford...or Case Keenum, but I imagine Zimmer and Spielman are happy with where we are at now with the position. 

26 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I had a feeling we would be interested in him, but I thought Denver would end up cutting him.

I feel pretty confident about our QB group this year. Cousins is at worst a top 15 QB, Siemian should be an adequate backup, and Sloter is the developmental guy.

It's unfortunate that Teddy Bridgewater didn't work out, and neither did Sam Bradford...or Case Keenum, but I imagine Zimmer and Spielman are happy with where we are at now with the position. 

If I was a Packer fan....I'd have nothing to rebut you.

Either way, congrats on Siemian, he's not even close to starter-level material (as he proved last year), but he's a very serviceable backup, and cheap.   If we didn't have 2 other young QB's we have to see through in our perennial search for QBOTF, we'd have kept him.  But we'll take the small pick upgrade since we were parting ways, and we had 11 picks this year (so getting one next year makes a ton of sense).   You're in excellent hands with Cousins, but Siemian can help in a pinch (though not if Cousins is out a while...keep up the OL development and protect your franchise guy, great work last year, Eflein was a steal, and I have hope for Isidora still too).  

Good luck guys - DEN has no shot, so I'm rooting for you, LAR & LAC (with $$ too lol, your SB prop bet odds are too good to pass up lol).   

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Good luck guys - DEN has no shot, so I'm rooting for you, LAR & LAC (with $$ too lol, your odds are too good to pass up lol).   

thanks for the kind wishes.

i have a feeling we'll be duking it out with the Rams regularly, one way or the other.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

thanks for the kind wishes.

i have a feeling we'll be duking it out with the Rams regularly, one way or the other.

Duking it out with the LA Rams? Awesome, just like the old days! Bring back the purple people eaters.

Be ready for Youngblood. Or whoever their replacement for Youngblood is in the current build of their team. The Rams were worthy adversaries back then.

27 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Honestly... to me.. how bad that trade was. 

I would take a healthy Randell over Wayne’s. He is even better at Safety than he is CB. At least the way I look at it, and how I had him coming out of college. 

They got a backup QB for a CB2.

obviously the issue is health... but it was not impressive to me.

Just now, vike daddy said:

remember how mad Deacon Jones would get at Fran? be yelling at him on the field and such?

I watched the games. Don't remember the details well, but do remember Deacon Jones. I remember the interviews of Jones talking about it more than I remember seeing it in the game.

Didn’t expect this but it makes perfect sense. Don’t have picks to waste on a developmental QB this year, don’t want to pay much for a FA backup. Adding a pick this year will make Spielman feel better about not trading down more than once. Giving up a 2019 pick will hurt less given that they’ll receive several comp picks next year. If DeFilippo and company can make Siemian look good, they might even get a 5th comp pick for him in 2020.

Smart trade. 

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

+ball placement

+trusts his receivers

+willingness to throw it downfield

+sees the field well

-arm strength

-not particularly mobile (but not a statue either)

-decision making (watch from ~2:00-210)

It sounds like you have no trepidation over Trevor. :D

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

remember how mad Deacon Jones would get at Fran? be yelling at him on the field and such?

I saw a documentary one time where Deacon was shanking his head while talking about Fran.  He said "I used to chase that man from one side of the field to the other and hardly ever caught him.  Then, the next play I would have to do it all over again..."  :D

Archived