Sign in to follow this  
CriminalMind

Vikings trade for Trevor Siemen, QB

Was this our first move involving 2019 picks? So we're currently at 6...

9 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Was this our first move involving 2019 picks? So we're currently at 6...

I believe so

Siemian: “As far as places to be, I’m very, very fortunate to be here. I’ve heard nothing but really good things about the locker room, coaches, front office and ownership. I’m looking forward to getting to work. I think I’ve gained a lot of knowledge playing some ball over the past couple years and grown a lot as a player, and I’m looking forward to coming in here and sharing some of that knowledge and applying it – helping this team and helping Kirk in any way that I can. Like anybody else, I see the tape and I watch Kirk week to week, and I know how good of a player he is.”

“I couldn’t be more excited to be teaming up with him and everybody else. I’m here for Kirk, I’m here for these guys. I want to win a bunch of games here and continue the roll this organization’s been on recently.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Siemian-I-Think-a-Lot-of-People-Would-Kill-to-be-in-This-Spot/ae8ada55-9336-44b1-afea-4420b2e6a421?sf184985236=1

considering where we were heading into this offseason with two QBs with serious health concerns and a "one hit wonder" QB, we've done well to get a durable, consistent starting QB and an adequate (or high-level?) backup QB.

i feel like we could still make the playoffs if siemen started all 16 games for us.

From the MMQB article linked in the Cousins thread:

When I think of a career comp for Trevor Siemian, who was traded from Denver to Minnesota on Thursday, I think of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Siemian may not end up as experienced as Fitzpatrick, or with as long a career, but they remind me of each other—bright, humble, excellent students of football, good-enough arms, good teammates as backups.

So I did a little research on their similarities, and it turned out a bit … well, “eerie” is probably the best word to describe the comparison:

Category Fitzpatrick Siemian
Brainy College Attended Harvard Northwestern
Draft Year 2005 2015
Draft Round 7 7
Overall Pick 250 250
Career Rating 79.9 79.9
Career Completion % .597 .593
Size 6'2", 220 6'2.5", 218

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-free-agency-guaranteed-contract-mmqb-peter-king

We could certainly do much worse at the backup QB spot.