Vikings trade for Trevor Siemen, QB

CriminalMind

Siemian will provide experience behind Cousins after starting 24 games the past two seasons in Denver, compiling 30 touchdown passes, 24 interceptions and a 59.3 completion percentage. The former seventh-round pick doesn't boast the tools that get scouts drooling, but proved he can move the offense when protected.

The 26-year-old became the odd man out in Denver after John Elway signed Case Keenum to a two-year contract, inducing the trade. The Broncos will press forward with Keenum as a bridge, former first-round pick Paxton Lynch, and 2017 seventh rounder Chad Kelly. Elway could also spend the No. 5 overall pick on another rookie QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921333/article/vikings-finalizing-trade-for-broncos-qb-trevor-siemian

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Cousins, Siemian and Sloter is pretty much the ideal QB lineup in my opinion

I saw in a tweet that Siemian is being paid $1.9M (or is that the cap hit for Denver?).  If we can get a backup signed for that little it would kind of balance out part of the premium we are paying for Cousins.

I’m guessing our QB depth chart will look something like this,

2018:

Cousins - starter

Siemian - backup

Sloter - developmental

2019:

Cousins - starter

Sloter - backup

rookie - developmental

I like the trade because I think it allows you to pass on a QB in this year's draft (unless someone too good falls) and see what you've got in Kyle Sloter as the developmental QB. 

If Sloter works out, then you can let Siemian leave in free agency next year, maybe gain a solid compensatory pick for him, and then draft a QB to be the developmental QB, with Sloter as the backup. 

what a Denver fan has to say about Siemian:

"back-up qb. nice dude, smart guy. will stick around the league due to the backup qb "intangibles." has a good release and pretty decent arm, which made him hard to evaluate, but he makes bad decisions and poor reads. doesn't have a strong enough arm to make throws outside the numbers. could be serviceable behind a good OL, though."

Archived