Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

granted that he stays healthy, I think Teddy B's full potential would be realized in New England!

I guess I don't understand that sentiment, because outside of Tom Brady, New England has done a pretty mediocre job of developing QBs.  It looks like Garappolo may be the one that actually developed behind Brady, but other than that, the prized Brady backup has been Cassel.  

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I guess I don't understand that sentiment, because outside of Tom Brady, New England has done a pretty mediocre job of developing QBs.  It looks like Garappolo may be the one that actually developed behind Brady, but other than that, the prized Brady backup has been Cassel.  

None of them got much playing time in the Patriots system

On 8/15/2018 at 9:33 AM, swede700 said:

I don't think they've had a QB as talented as Bridgewater as a backup besides Garrappolo

Edited by SteelKing728

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think they've had a QB as talented as Bridgewater as a backup besides Garrappolo

This is correct.

Not every late-round pick is going to be Tom Brady. So most of them not developing like that isn't an indictment on the team's development skills. 

I would also say that very few teams can develop backups like the Packers did in the 90s. After Favre was entrenched, they drafted Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks. That's a pretty solid list, even though none really produced for Green Bay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

This is correct.

Not every late-round pick is going to be Tom Brady. So most of them not developing like that isn't an indictment on the team's development skills. 

I would also say that very few teams can develop backups like the Packers did in the 90s. After Favre was entrenched, they drafted Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks. That's a pretty solid list, even though none really produced for Green Bay.

I tend to believe it is an indictment, when you do have an entrenched starter, to develop a quality backup, and someone who can or could start elsewhere. You should have an easier time, because not only do you have a position coach, you have an entrenched starter who is pretty good at his job and the backup should be able to learn something from him as well...even if it's not direct coaching from the starter (which certainly he's probably not going to do) but at the very least from observation of how he does things.  

And I certainly don't expect a late-round pick to be Tom Brady...but, I think, if you have a long-term entrenched starter, you should be able to develop at least a Doug Pederson or a Frank Reich, someone who is at least a well-respected backup.  The Patriots, for the most part, have miserably failed at doing so.  

• Like 1

The interception he threw was pretty bad. Don’t know what made him think he could force the ball out to the deep sideline before the safety could get there. Had a guy coming open on a deep drag across the middle. 

Other than that, he did look good. 

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Teddy looked good, which is really nice to see, but I think youve got to look at his performances with a grain of salt. He should look really good against 3rd and 4th string players. 

And he has, which is the point. I don’t think there is any cause for concern with his knee, and in his first extended playing time since his injury he’s performing like you would expect a good veteran QB to perform. The best part for me is seeing him avoid the rush in the pocket. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its unfortunate that the Jets drafted Darnold because I think Bridgewater could be their long term starter if given the chance.

Darnold offers them so much more in terms of potential. Bridgewater, for all his intangibles, is still a limited passer.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Potential gets GMs and coaches fired.

Not if it’s realized. 

Heck, people are excited by Teddy with the hope of potential. Bridgewater wasn’t an established player at the time of his injury. We were still waiting for him to take that next step in his development. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Not if it’s realized. 

Heck, people are excited by Teddy with the hope of potential. Bridgewater wasn’t an established player at the time of his injury. We were still waiting for him to take that next step in his development. 

True...I guess I've never viewed Darnold as having a really significant amount of potential.  I think he has a higher floor, but he's never struck me as a guy with a very huge potential.  I think Teddy's intangibles are higher than Darnold's potential.  

• Like 1