Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I think their feeling is that with Keenum, they certainly aren't going to be a threat in playoffs or anything...he is a kind of QB who isn't bad enough to go something like 3-13 but also isn't good enough to be a threat in post season...so they instead atleast want to try out how it goes with Kelly

The problem I have with that is that everyone knew that coming into the season...he is giving them exactly what was expected from him.  If they expected anything more, they were delusional.  Chad Kelly ain't gonna give them anything more...in fact, it probably would be worse.

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The problem I have with that is that everyone knew that coming into the season...he is giving them exactly what was expected from him.  If they expected anything more, they were delusional.

People thought last year would become the new norm.

13 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Keenum with 3TDs and 6 Interceptions so far...3 TDs and 3INT in first game and 0 TDs and 1INT in each of the next 3 games...doesn't have a TD since week1...seen decent number of Broncos fans already calling for him to be benched.

That interception last night wasn't as much on him as it was a great play by the defender and a horrible effort by his Tight end. His missed touchdown throw to Thomas looks a lot worse than it was. He still should have made the throw, but the timing was off partially because of Thomas's lazy route running. 

Nick Korte
@nickkorte
More Nick Korte Retweeted Jason_OTC
Just a 6th rounder for one of Tramon Williams, Kareem Martin, or John Brown.

The Vikings would also lose their 3rd rounder for Case Keenum, as he'd become the one that Kirk Cousins would have to cancel out.

In regards to Bradford possibly getting cut. This would just fit the start of this season perfectly

2 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Nick Korte
@nickkorte
More Nick Korte Retweeted Jason_OTC
Just a 6th rounder for one of Tramon Williams, Kareem Martin, or John Brown.

The Vikings would also lose their 3rd rounder for Case Keenum, as he'd become the one that Kirk Cousins would have to cancel out.

In regards to Bradford possibly getting cut. This would just fit the start of this season perfectly

I looked it up but I didn't see anywhere saying the Cardinals want to cut him. 

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It would be a surprise if they did since they'll have to pay him anyway.

Wouldn’t it actually cost them more? 

The way I read the structure of his contract is that he’d be a $15M dead cap hit if they cut him due to guaranteed money accelerating, where as if he’s inactive the rest of the year, he’d only count around $10M against the cap. 

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I looked it up but I didn't see anywhere saying the Cardinals want to cut him. 

that was in response to Jason from Over The Cap's tweet: 

"not that i see this happening" is the key phrase there. they would lose ~$4 million in dead money (in addition to his ~$11 million salary this season) if they cut him this season. they have a little less than $7 million in cap space right now so they'd be left with a little less than $3 million in cap space. seems like a steep price to pay for a late 6th rounder.

i think it's a lot more likely that they keep bradford as a backup this season and cut him in the offseason, where there would be $5 million in dead money but would save almost $20 million in cap space. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Wouldn’t it actually cost them more? 

The way I read the structure of his contract is that he’d be a $15M dead cap hit if they cut him due to guaranteed money accelerating, where as if he’s inactive the rest of the year, he’d only count around $10M against the cap. 

I haven't looked into the structure of his contract but guaranteed money wouldn't accelerate onto this year's cap since it is after June first. It goes onto next year's cap which is where it is anyway. In theory, if they had cut him before June 1, without the post June 1 designation, his prorated signing bonus would have accelerated to this year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, whitehops said:

that was in response to Jason from Over The Cap's tweet: 

"not that i see this happening" is the key phrase there. they would lose ~$4 million in dead money (in addition to his ~$11 million salary this season) if they cut him this season. they have a little less than $7 million in cap space right now so they'd be left with a little less than $3 million in cap space. seems like a steep price to pay for a late 6th rounder.

i think it's a lot more likely that they keep bradford as a backup this season and cut him in the offseason, where there would be $5 million in dead money but would save almost $20 million in cap space. 

The important thing to clarify is that Bradford will cost the Cardinals the same this year whether he is on the roster as a game day inactive throughout the year or if they cut him. If they cut him the cost is considered dead money while keeping him on the roster it is not referred to that way. In the end, the cost is the same. However, he does have a pretty big bonus for being on the game day active roster.

The Cardinals cutting Sam Bradford would have nothing to do with money. If they cut him it would be for the roster spot. Filling that would only cost them additional money. I think they would rather use the roster spot on Bradford than save that roster spot especially considering how little they have seen from there rookie. It is still possible Rosen goes into the tank at some point and they want to put a veteran in there while Rosen settles down. Sure, that veteran doesn't have to be Bradford.

59 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

Cutting Bradford would also net them a 6th rounder. So cutting him and paying him extra whatever would net them a 6th. 

Sure but they have a few more weeks before the compensatory formula locks him in so they have no reason to rush. Iirc, evidence compiled by AdamJT suggested it was week 10 that they need to cut him by for him to not count in the formula.

12 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Cutting Bradford would also net them a 6th rounder. So cutting him and paying him extra whatever would net them a 6th. 

10 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Sure but they have a few more weeks before the compensatory formula locks him in so they have no reason to rush. Iirc, evidence compiled by AdamJT suggested it was week 10 that they need to cut him by for him to not count in the formula.

Additionally, is the $4M in dead money worth a 6th rounder? (If I'm understanding things correctly.)

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Additionally, is the $4M in dead money worth a 6th rounder? (If I'm understanding things correctly.)

I would hope that NFL teams do not think of sunk costs like that, but who knows, it is the Chicago Cardinals organization -- they didn't protect their home territory from Decatur moving in and then ultimately thought St Louis was greener pastures. They might as well have been starting a land war in Asia with decision making like that.

They don't get that $4M back in terms of real dollars or cap space whether Bradford is on the roster or not.

Edited by Cearbhall

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I would hope that NFL teams do not think of sunk costs like that, but who knows, it is the Chicago Cardinals organization. They didn't protect their home territory from Decatur moving in and then ultimately thought St Louis was greener pastures. They might as well have been starting a land war in Asia with decision making like that.

They don't get that $4M back in terms of real dollars or cap space whether Bradford is on the roster or not.

Ahhh, the Staleys days, those were good times.