Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

Quick statistical update:

Kirk Cousins: 161 of 226 (71%).....1,688 yards....11 TD....2 INT....105.1 passer rating
Case Keenum: 122 of 192 (63.5%)....1,365 yards....5 TD....7 INT....78.1 passer rating
Sam Bradford: 50 of 80 (62.5%).....400 yards....2 TD....4 INT....62.5 passer rating
Teddy Bridgewater: 0 for 0 (0%)....0 yards....0 TD....0 INT....0.0 passer rating

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Quick statistical update:

Kirk Cousins: 161 of 226 (71%).....1,688 yards....11 TD....2 INT....105.1 passer rating
Case Keenum: 122 of 192 (63.5%)....1,365 yards....5 TD....7 INT....78.1 passer rating
Sam Bradford: 50 of 80 (62.5%).....400 yards....2 TD....4 INT....62.5 passer rating
Teddy Bridgewater: 0 for 0 (0%)....0 yards....0 TD....0 INT....0.0 passer rating

But but Teddy.. his contract was a steal!

The comparison we should care about is 2018 Cousins vs 2017 Keenum (or maybe Bradford + Keenum). Most analysts thought Cousins would be better than Keenum going forward but many doubted he could be any better than Keenum was last year, at least statistically (propped up as he often was by his WRs).

Early returns, but Cousins at his best this year has been a clear upgrade in terms of performance and production from Keenum last year, more comparable to Bradford’s one great game against the Saints. Cousins has had some bad moments (in the Bills game) but even there he’s no worse than Keenum at his worst. 

Five games in, signing Cousins looks like a great move. 

• Like 4

I agree.  I've never been as impressed with Cousins as I am right now.  In the times I've watched him in Washington, he was so-so.  Right now, he might be playing as well as he ever has.  As VV has stated before, I'm not sure that we can expect it to continue...that eventually the defense is going to have to win the game (which they sort of did yesterday) and not rely on the offense having to outscore the opponent, but I'm pleased with what I've seen thus far and they certainly made the right call.  

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  I've never been as impressed with Cousins as I am right now.  In the times I've watched him in Washington, he was so-so.  Right now, he might be playing as well as he ever has.  As VV has stated before, I'm not sure that we can expect it to continue...that eventually the defense is going to have to win the game (which they sort of did yesterday) and not rely on the offense having to outscore the opponent, but I'm pleased with what I've seen thus far and they certainly made the right call.  

As long as Cousins can keep the fumbles under control, we can definitely win games with his arm alone. Been a long time since we can say that about a Vikings QB. Cousins needs help though, mainly from the defense and run game. Asking him to be perfect weekly isn't ideal. 

Broncos quarterback Case Keenum threw a touchdown pass for the first time since Week One and finished the game with 377 passing yards, but that figure doesn’t paint a very accurate picture of how things played out against the Jets.

Keenum threw the first quarter touchdown pass after the Broncos took over on the Jets’ 20-yard-line and then didn’t get the Broncos back into the end zone until they were down 34-10 in the fourth quarter. In the interim, he was sacked four times and pressured consistently during a frustrating afternoon for the Denver offense.

Jets defensive end Leonard Williams: “There were a few times when we hit him, even if it wasn’t a sack. We were getting to him a lot. He seemed really uncomfortable. There were times when we wouldn’t even get to him and he would just get scared and throw the ball away. There would be nobody over there. That’s the best thing you could do as a defense: Get in the head of the offense flustered like that.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/leonard-williams-case-keenum-seemed-really-uncomfortable/

Not only did the Cardinals bench Sam Bradford after three games, they made him their inactive third quarterback to take money out of his pocket.

The new role includes not getting a uniform on game days, so the team can save money. By making Mike Glennon the backup to rookie Josh Rosen, the Cardinals don’t have to pay Bradford his weekly $312,500 active roster bonuses. While that will cost Bradford more than $4 million if this arrangement lasts the rest of the year, he’s still making $16 million there this year, which allows him to be diplomatic about it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/12/sam-bradford-acknowledges-being-benched-and-losing-money-is-challenging/

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The cardinals benching Bradford for good has no impact on our comp picks, right?

As long as they don't cut him before week 10 he should still count as a 3rd round compensatory loss in the formula. His APY is high enough that the other minor factors in the formula aren't going to move him down to a 4th round level.

However, if he is cut he may not qualify at all. That isn't very likely since his salary is guaranteed.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, vike daddy said:

Not only did the Cardinals bench Sam Bradford after three games, they made him their inactive third quarterback to take money out of his pocket.

The new role includes not getting a uniform on game days, so the team can save money. By making Mike Glennon the backup to rookie Josh Rosen, the Cardinals don’t have to pay Bradford his weekly $312,500 active roster bonuses. While that will cost Bradford more than $4 million if this arrangement lasts the rest of the year, he’s still making $16 million there this year, which allows him to be diplomatic about it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/12/sam-bradford-acknowledges-being-benched-and-losing-money-is-challenging/

While I understand that they aren't required to show any loyalty to Bradford since this is the only year he'll be there, I do think it's kind of dishonorable to treat him that way.  As poor as he was playing, he's still a better backup option than Mike Glennon (at least as far as I'm concerned).