Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

22 hours ago, Klomp said:

I would agree with this. Only thing that holds him back is health.

Strongly disagree. The guy isn't a very good QB even when healthy. He sure can throw a pretty pass but he has never been better than average as a QB even when healthy. His situational awareness is terrible and for whatever reason it never improved.

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Strongly disagree. The guy isn't a very good QB even when healthy. He sure can throw a pretty pass but he has never been better than average as a QB even when healthy. His situational awareness is terrible and for whatever reason it never improved.

I think it's because he hasn't been able to trust his health (or his offensive lines, for the most part) that his mental game suffered.  He really hasn't been able to go a full 2 years without getting injured his entire career.

It gets easier to evaluate wide receiver talent when a quarterback is consistently putting balls on the money in every area of the field, and that’s what Keenum has done so far in team scenarios. The former Viking, who signed a two-year, $36 million contract to join the Broncos after a deep playoff run with Minnesota last winter, has been impressive in his command of the offense and his understanding of the defense.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/02/denver-broncos-training-camp-report-case-keenum-courtland-sutton-bardley-chubb-jared-veldheer

Bridgewater:  "Right now, I’m doing everything I dreamed of doing — and that’s waking up and continuing to play football. It’s a wonderful feeling. It gives me chills right now to think about it, knowing how the previous two years were. I definitely feel like I’m good. With the training staff here, we’ve been definitely hitting it hard.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/07/teddy-bridgewater-grateful-to-be-healthy-and-competing/

The Jets are open to trading Teddy Bridgewater for the right price and under the right circumstances, Manish Mehta of the Daily News reports. But in order for the Jets to generate a market for the quarterback, they need Bridgewater to prove in the preseason his surgically repaired knee can hold up to contact. Bridgewater played only nine snaps last season after sitting out the 2016 season, so no one has seen him take any real hits since 2015.

The Jets are expected to give Bridgewater a significant workload in the preseason opener Friday, but the team also wants Darnold to get his share of snaps. It would prove a win-win for the Jets if both quarterbacks play well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/08/report-jets-open-to-trading-teddy-bridgewater/

On 7/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, vike daddy said:

Josh Rosen:  “I don’t really think people understand how good Sam Bradford is. I’m unbelievably fortunate to watch him and how he plays. I’m just really lucky to have that as my frame of reference to start the NFL, because I really believe he’s one of the better quarterbacks in this league. He’s very quick and deliberate, and he just knows football really well. I’m very lucky that’s my intro into the NFL. I’m not exactly modeling my game after him, but more so taking what he does really well and trying to put it into what I do because Sam is really, really good.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/30/josh-rosen-im-unbelievably-fortunate-to-watch-sam-bradford/

Wow, learn from Sam Bradford?  Learn what how to be a poor leader, have little to no emotion, never talk to your teammates on the sidelines outside of QBs, get hurt all the time and be in and out of the lineup because of that or poor uninspired play.  Yeah learn from that guy, a massive bust when some thought out of college he was the best QB to come out since Peyton Manning.  I disliked him on OU and am not surprised his pro career is nothing special.  So sure Rosen could be for sure following in Bradford's footsteps because their sideline demeanor is similar and their inability to lead and inspire is close also.  Rosen does have a better arm than Bradford, I will give him that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wow, learn from Sam Bradford?  Learn what how to be a poor leader, have little to no emotion, never talk to your teammates on the sidelines outside of QBs, get hurt all the time and be in and out of the lineup because of that or poor uninspired play.  Yeah learn from that guy, a massive bust when some thought out of college he was the best QB to come out since Peyton Manning.  I disliked him on OU and am not surprised his pro career is nothing special.  So sure Rosen could be for sure following in Bradford's footsteps because their sideline demeanor is similar and their inability to lead and inspire is close also.  Rosen does have a better arm than Bradford, I will give him that.

We must have been watching different players.  When he was healthy and playing in Minnesota he was very good.

The Vikings must have been very concerned about Teddy's chances of returning to 100%.  Otherwise, I just can't understand why they didn't keep him around to at least be a backup for Cousins.  He was a great locker room guy.  His teammates and coaches thought the world of him, and he wasn't really in a position to demand much in salary negotiations.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

We must have been watching different players.  When he was healthy and playing in Minnesota he was very good.

Sure if by very good you mean a high completion percentage, sure he was very good.  If very good means winning big games and leading a football team on the off the field, no he was not very good.  Just look at least year, Case Keenum looked like the most charismatic QB ever compared to Bradford, and he was very passionate and communicated well with his teammates and it was noticeably different.  Sure Bradford at times can be accurate but he gets hurt constantly and lacks a ton of leadership qualities I feel.  People are sad to see Case and Teddy go, third on the list is Bradford, few I feel are sad to see Bradford not a Viking this year.

Instead we get Kirk Cousins, who is at best is a top 10-15 QB in the NFL yet we pay him like he is a top 4 QB in the NFL.  Still should be better than any of those three but will see.  Is more passionate than Bradford, has a better arm than Teddy or Case and stays healthy more than Teddy or Bradford as well.  Will see what happens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure if by very good you mean a high completion percentage, sure he was very good.  If very good means winning big games and leading a football team on the off the field, no he was not very good.  Just look at least year, Case Keenum looked like the most charismatic QB ever compared to Bradford, and he was very passionate and communicated well with his teammates and it was noticeably different.  Sure Bradford at times can be accurate but he gets hurt constantly and lacks a ton of leadership qualities I feel.  People are sad to see Case and Teddy go, third on the list is Bradford, few I feel are sad to see Bradford not a Viking this year.

Instead we get Kirk Cousins, who is at best is a top 10-15 QB in the NFL yet we pay him like he is a top 4 QB in the NFL.  Still should be better than any of those three but will see.  Is more passionate than Bradford, has a better arm than Teddy or Case and stays healthy more than Teddy or Bradford as well.  Will see what happens.

I thought Sam had a pretty good season in 2016.  I wasn't all that sad to see him go in the offseason because he can't stay healthy, but we could do a lot worse at the position when he is healthy.