Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Sure if by very good you mean a high completion percentage, sure he was very good.  If very good means winning big games and leading a football team on the off the field, no he was not very good.  Just look at least year, Case Keenum looked like the most charismatic QB ever compared to Bradford, and he was very passionate and communicated well with his teammates and it was noticeably different.  Sure Bradford at times can be accurate but he gets hurt constantly and lacks a ton of leadership qualities I feel.

Glad to see that I am not the only one on this board with some of these opinions. People get enamored with Bradford's excellant throwing skills and lose track of the fact that he is a below average QB. I was very glad to see the team let him walk. Even if there was a 100% guarantee of him being healthy for all 16 games I would have been disappointed if the team chose him over alternatives this year. So glad they did not.

Given the contracts that the guys ended up with, I would have went with Keenum, Bridgewater, and the extra cash to upgrade the offensive line. Its too late now so I'll be rooting for Cousins and hoping that he doesn't get killed behind the line that Spielman consistently fails to fix. If he gets hurt, hopefully the two QBs they got from the Broncos work out for however many games they are needed.

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

People get enamored with Bradford's excellant throwing skills and lose track of the fact that he is a below average QB. 

Huh? He is a QB with above average arm strength, excellent accuracy, literally can make every throw, smart decision maker, but not all that mobile after the injuries....... he’s a below average QB? He’s a top 5 thrower of the football in the NFL right now. I’ll stand behind that every day. He’s far from a below average QB.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Huh? He is a QB with above average arm strength, excellent accuracy, literally can make every throw, smart decision maker, but not all that mobile after the injuries....... he’s a below average QB? He’s a top 5 thrower of the football in the NFL right now. I’ll stand behind that every day. He’s far from a below average QB.

Top 5 thrower of the football?  Please, little short passes are not impressive and is the only reason his accuracy statistics are up there.  The guy is a flawed QB especially considering some thought he was on par with Peyton Manning coming out of college, heck Matthew Stafford coming out of college I thought was way better and has been a better pro, give me Stafford all day over freaking injured Sam Bradford.  Is he below average, well sure he is not but is he top 5 QB in the NFL which is where a #1 overall pick and hyped prospect like him should be, not even close.  Oh being injured cannot be a critique, well I feel it is a major one and does matter.  What are the chances Bradford gets injured this up coming season, um very very high.  I am very glad he is gone.  If he was actually all these things you say, then the Vikings would of paid him that kind of money and not Kirk Cousins.  Fact is they did not because Bradford does not have that talented of a throwing arm not to mention all the other intangibles like leadership and having a personality.  No way the guys in the locker room just loved playing with him...  

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Glad to see that I am not the only one on this board with some of these opinions. People get enamored with Bradford's excellant throwing skills and lose track of the fact that he is a below average QB. I was very glad to see the team let him walk. Even if there was a 100% guarantee of him being healthy for all 16 games I would have been disappointed if the team chose him over alternatives this year. So glad they did not.

Given the contracts that the guys ended up with, I would have went with Keenum, Bridgewater, and the extra cash to upgrade the offensive line. Its too late now so I'll be rooting for Cousins and hoping that he doesn't get killed behind the line that Spielman consistently fails to fix. If he gets hurt, hopefully the two QBs they got from the Broncos work out for however many games they are needed.

True, I would have been fine if they kept Case or Teddy but obviously Teddy had something wrong with him physically I assume or they would have kept him.  Fact is Cousins has a stronger arm then Teddy, Case or Bradford and Cousins does not get injured as often as Teddy or Bradford as well.  Sure they paid him like a top 4 QB in the NFL, when really he is more like a top 10-15 QB.  But still is better than what we had so will see how it goes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Huh? He is a QB with above average arm strength, excellent accuracy, literally can make every throw, smart decision maker, but not all that mobile after the injuries.

Yeah, I don't even think it is worth having a discussion if you think that Bradford is a smart decision maker. You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that his awful decision making and unbelievably poor situational awareness that feeds into the terrible decisions are amongst his most glaring weaknesses. If he was even mediocre in those areas he may be a top half of the league starting QB when healthy.

As far as areas of agreement, I agree that Bradford has above average arm strength, excellant accuracy, and can make every throw.

He can make every throw but often he doesn't make them owing to his poor decision making.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Teddy looked pretty good in his first real action since the injury.  I think it was a mistake to get rid of him.  He would be one heck of a backup to Cousins.  If Cousins were to get injured, Teddy is a guy who could undoubtedly get us some wins. 

You just don't see 1st round pick QB get back up opportunities at QB (outside of development years) Management moves on, as it's a reminder of a mistake\bad time.

Bridgewater threw his first touchdown pass in two years, a 16-yard toss to Isaiah Crowell in the first quarter. Bridgewater led a field-goal drive on his second of two series before giving way to Darnold.

Bridgewater replaced Josh McCown, who started but played only one three-and-out series. Bridgewater went 4-for-5 for 37 yards and the touchdown in the scoring drive. One of his completions went to Jermaine Kearse for 6 yards on fourth-and-three.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/10/sam-darnold-off-to-an-impressive-start-after-following-teddy-bridgewater/

Edited by vike daddy

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Teddy looked pretty good in his first real action since the injury.  I think it was a mistake to get rid of him.  He would be one heck of a backup to Cousins.  If Cousins were to get injured, Teddy is a guy who could undoubtedly get us some wins. 

If he’s not your starter, for the sake of the locker room, Teddy needed to leave. 

• Like 2

Happy to see Teddy playing, and happy to see he played well. Ball looked like it had some zip on it and he threw into some tight windows. The conversion to Kearse was the type of the throw he stayed away from here. 

• Like 2

I thought it was interesting that the Hets called some pretty tame and easy plays for Bridgewater, some very high percentage routes for him to hit, and he did. But, at the same time, they had Sam Darnold reading and diagnosing much more complex routes, more difficult throws, etc. 

It’s almost as if they were intentionally trying to get Bridgewater to look good. Like for a trade, or something. 

• Like 1