Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

The Cardinals announced on Friday that Bradford’s deal with the team is official after he passed a physical.

Bradford’s long history of knee problems made that less than a sure thing, although it likely would have taken a pretty enormous red flag for the team to back out at a point when the other starting quarterback options in free agency have landed with teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/cardinals-announce-sam-bradford-passed-physical/

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Cardinals announced on Friday that Bradford’s deal with the team is official after he passed a physical.

Bradford’s long history of knee problems made that less than a sure thing, although it likely would have taken a pretty enormous red flag for the team to back out at a point when the other starting quarterback options in free agency have landed with teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/cardinals-announce-sam-bradford-passed-physical/

Good for Sam!  I just wonder what the playoffs would've looked like if Sam had been healthy all year?  His play in game 1 against the Saints was a masterful performance of accurate passing, especially beyond 15 yards!  Oh well!

Bradford: “My knee feels good. I went through some struggles last year with it, and it was probably one of the most frustrating seasons I’ve had mentally. The first part of the season, I just couldn’t get it to calm down. But with the procedure I had in November, I was able to get myself into a position to suit up for the playoff games, and really since then, it felt good.”

“This team is an extremely talented team, and I feel there are already a lot of pieces in place to do something special this year. Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done given that it will be a new system on offense and getting familiar with the system. But I think we have a lot of talent and we have the opportunity to win right now.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/sam-bradford-confident-in-knee-says-it-feels-good/

It would not, on the surface, even be such a terrible idea to spend $20 million to $30 million on three quarterbacks, as the Jets may do if they draft a quarterback in the first round and match him up with the already-signed Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater. It’s essentially the same as paying an already-established quarterback, but you’ve tripled your chances of finding great production in a given year. However, there’s a structural problem: There are simply not enough practice reps to go around. It’s the same issue the Eagles faced with backup Nick Foles, until they got to the playoffs, earned a bye week, and essentially ran another weeklong training camp before the divisional round.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/16/17128912/rookie-quarterbacks-team-building-cheap-seahawks-rams-eagles-bears-chiefs

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

so the Jets traded up to #3, presumably to draft a QB.

they're paying McCown and Bridgewater $25 million together, right? what will the salary be of a #3 pick QB added to that?

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

~$5.6M

So puts them at about $30 million for 3 quarterbacks, which is right in line with most of these teams this offseason.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

So puts them at about $30 million for 3 quarterbacks, which is right in line with most of these teams this offseason.

This is incorrect. $5.6M (It is actually a little less) for their first round pick along with McCown's $10M and Teddy's $5M is just $20.6M for the three QBs. 

I don't know what the incentives are that may push Teddy's contract towards the max $15M value. If Teddy beats McCown out in camp and the Jets draft a QB in the top three this year I doubt they keep McCown around. However, I am currently unaware of the amount McCown or Teddy have guaranteed on their contracts.

Read a tweet earlier today that Teddy’s incentives were tied to playing time... I’ll try to find it. 

Found it: incentives are, at least, partially tied to playing time. 

Edited by rpmwr19
Tweet

It’s still unclear who the Jets are targeting with the third overall pick in the draft. The latest tidbit regarding the move from No. 6 suggests that they’re definitely leaning quarterback. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets talked to the Browns about a move all the way to No. 1. Which means that, potentially, the jump to No. 3 is merely a pit stop on the way to the top of the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/17/jets-explored-moving-to-no-1/

46 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Read a tweet earlier today that Teddy’s incentives were tied to playing time... I’ll try to find it. 

Found it: incentives are, at least, partially tied to playing time. 

Wow. That looks like the Jets want to have the freedom to cut or trade Teddy if he doesn't win the starting job going into the season. They can offload him for just $1M. If that is not signing bonus but guaranteed base salary it may cost them nothing if they have offset language and another team signs him or if they trade him. I am surprised that Teddy couldn't get a better contract than that. Even if not a higher salary, more of it guaranteed. If Teddy doesn't beat out McCown it costs the Jets only $5M additional to keep him as a backup. $5M is a pretty good deal for a good backup QB.

If McCown doesn't win the starting job I wonder how much it would cost the Jets to move on from him.

9 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

OTC has him with a $5M base salary and $5M signing bonus. If those numbers are correct, it would cost them $5M to move on from him (McCown)

No matter which of the two wins the starting job, it looks like the backup would cost them $5M more than the already sunk cost to keep. I would think they would keep the loser as a backup at that rate unless they find someone that would offer them something in trade.