Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I find this statement by Zimmer to be odd and out of character for him. It sounds like he's rationalizing a decision he's not fully comfortable with.  Just me reading between the lines.

Seems more to me that he was maybe wanting to see the things he wanted at practice because he liked Teddy so much and Teddy was his guy.

Medical Staff are likely more objective. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are Spielman’s comments on each former QB:

Case Keenum

“Case was a great leader for us. He came in just competing for a backup job and it’s amazing, when quarterbacks get to this age, around 28, 29, that’s kind of when they start to hit their peak. It’s when Drew Brees hit his peak…Case not only brings his ability to make some plays with his feet,  create plays when the pocket breaks down, he can still go out there and make plays to help you win games. I can’t tell you enough on what Case meant to our organization, not only his leadership in the locker room when he became the starter, but what he did out in our community.”

Sam Bradford

“Sam Bradford is maybe the purest thrower I’ve ever been around. Ever. He’s got a great release. What he did for our organization coming in eight days before the start of the season, and his intelligence and his ability to adapt and pick up things – and he picked up a system that’s he’s never played in before. To have him go out and play like he did for us, even though we had all those injuries including our head coach being down, and the leadership [Bradford] showed – two different styles of leadership….we had a lot of injuries on the offensive line and he took a lot of significant shots….I don’t know if we would have won that many games if we didn’t have Sam Bradford as our quarterback.”

Teddy Bridgewater

“I can’t say enough about Teddy, not only when we drafted him what he brought into our organization, how that locker room gravitated to him, his playmaking ability on the field, also the high character that he is off the field. What a true inspirational story that is to have such a significant injury and for him to battle back and to have faith that he was going to be able to get on the field again, that’s a description of what Teddy Bridgewater brings.”

https://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/04/vikings-gm-spielman-praises-former-qbs-espn-interview/

Knee problems caused Sam Bradford to miss 14 games last year and he’s torn his ACL twice in the past, so the 16-game plan hasn’t worked out that well in his previous stops. Cardinals Head Coach Steve  Wilks said the team has worked to put together a plan that leaves Bradford feeling “confident” about his health heading into the regular season.

Wilks:  “The biggest thing we’re going to do with Sam is make sure that he’s ready to play 16-plus games. I’ve seen what he can do over the years. I’m not concerned about trying to get him out there quick as possible to throw the ball.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/10/cardinals-wont-rush-sam-bradford-onto-field-this-offseason/

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Bradford‘s left knee held up just fine as he got to work with his new team. He did most of what the other quarterbacks did during the first week of offseason work, limited only because he and the team have a “plan.”

Cardinals coach Steve Wilks: “I didn’t see anything bad out of his knee. Not one thing. I don’t think it’s a process of something is wrong with his knee. It’s myself and the trainer and everyone else want to go through a process of not getting him out there too soon. Nothing is wrong with his knee. I thought he threw the ball well, ball handling, he handed the ball off, rolled out, bootleg, all those things. He’s doing everything we ask him to do. We just want to make sure we don’t put too much on him too soon.”

Bradford: “If you just look at what I have gone through, you would be foolish not to have a plan,” Bradford said. “The past couple of offseasons, even going into last offseason healthy, there was a plan with what I did.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/19/sam-bradford-following-plan-in-hopes-of-remaining-healthy-all-season/

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d be surprised if Bridgewater makes the Jets’ final roster. 

I think Teddy will be "Comeback Player of the Year" after leading the Jets to an 8-8 season.  I think Bradford plays 4 games, and is once again, lost to injury for the remainder of the year.  He retires after the season and goes into broadcasting.  Keenum will not be able to duplicate his Minnesota Magic, and the Bronco's bench him in favor of a rookie after game 6. 

The Jets are likely only keeping 3 quarterbacks.

They are drafting one at 3. They just gave McCown $10M with $5M signing bonus. Hackenberg is younger, cheaper to keep yet more expensive to cut, and he was drafted by this staff. 

Bridgewater, with only $500k of dead money is easy to cut, and with only $6M on the books, if he plays well in preseason he’ll be a prime candidate to trade. 

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Does Bradford even make it to week 6 and will Teddy be starting in week 7? 

I doubt Bradford makes it that long, and I while I think Teddy is their best option, my guess is they ride with Josh McCown until the boat sinks, and that'll happen after week 7.

At this time of year, Bradford is doing as much mental work as physical. Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy’s system is new to him and his teammates, so there has been a lot of work in the classroom.

Ideally, Bradford would be physically able to take every snap this spring and not have that diminish his chances of making it through the season. But the reality is he has a balky left knee that requires a conservative approach.

Bradford: “The goal is to play 16 games. That’s what everything is geared toward. That’s really what my mindset is right now, trying to make sure I give myself the best opportunity to do that.”

heh, only 16 games Sam? No further goals? 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/04/19/arizona-cardinals-sam-bradford-larry-fitzgerald-steve-wilks/534533002/

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

At this time of year, Bradford is doing as much mental work as physical. Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy’s system is new to him and his teammates, so there has been a lot of work in the classroom.

Ideally, Bradford would be physically able to take every snap this spring and not have that diminish his chances of making it through the season. But the reality is he has a balky left knee that requires a conservative approach.

Bradford: “The goal is to play 16 games. That’s what everything is geared toward. That’s really what my mindset is right now, trying to make sure I give myself the best opportunity to do that.”

heh, only 16 games Sam? No further goals? 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/04/19/arizona-cardinals-sam-bradford-larry-fitzgerald-steve-wilks/534533002/

Well, he’ll probably play in 3 preseason games, so 13 regular season games sounds about right (or maybe overly optimistic ;).

Edited by marshpit23
Bold quote
  • Like 1