Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

12 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I just don’t think anybody wants to be the Miami QB.

As I indicated yesterday, why would anyone?  They have no starter-level quality skill position players on that roster.  Kenny Stills, Albert Wilson, Devante Parker and Kenyan Drake are all supporting pieces/backups at best.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As I indicated yesterday, why would anyone?  They have no starter-level quality skill position players on that roster.  Kenny Stills, Albert Wilson, Devante Parker and Kenyan Drake are all supporting pieces/backups at best.   

Well exactly, while I think Drake is a borderline starter type he still is a player that needs a complement. Stills is a solid #2 but that’s about it.

they don’t even have an offensive line. 

It should be noted that Drew Brees actually also restructured his contract yesterday, so he is now entering the last year of his contract...at the same time as Michael Thomas will be a FA next year and Alvin Kamara will be in 2021.  They seem also to be a team that's all-in, joining the Packers and Browns.  

Just now, VikeManDan said:

Difference being the Browns have their QB on the cheap for 4 more seasons.

That's where they have their benefit, which is why the Chiefs appear to be taking a similar path in their signings as well, although not to nearly the same extreme as the Browns. 

I wanted to wait a year to draw any conclusions about this, but it appears that we did indeed make the right decision to move on from Keenum and Bradford after '17. Keenum had a dream season where Thielen and Diggs made him look like a million bucks (or $36 million if you're the Denver Broncos) but folded like wet cardboard in the NFCCG, and is already headed for his sixth team. Bradford is pretty much done and will be remembered a coulda-woulda-shoulda type of guy.

The only one I'm not sure about is Teddy. Almost three years after the freak injury, he's still an unknown quantity with his only starting opportunity coming in a meaningless Week 17 game for the Saints. That's not cool. His prime years are wasting away because teams are afraid to give him a chance. (Or is he afraid too? Food for thought.)

10 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I wanted to wait a year to draw any conclusions about this, but it appears that we did indeed make the right decision to move on from Keenum and Bradford after '17. Keenum had a dream season where Thielen and Diggs made him look like a million bucks (or $36 million if you're the Denver Broncos) but folded like wet cardboard in the NFCCG, and is already headed for his sixth team. Bradford is pretty much done and will be remembered a coulda-woulda-shoulda type of guy.

The only one I'm not sure about is Teddy. Almost three years after the freak injury, he's still an unknown quantity with his only starting opportunity coming in a meaningless Week 17 game for the Saints. That's not cool. His prime years are wasting away because teams are afraid to give him a chance. (Or is he afraid too? Food for thought.)

Actually, I think Teddy and his team of advisors have played this off season perfectly.  Brees most likely will be retired in another year or two.  Teddy will likely take the helm of a championship caliber offense, where the nucleus will still be young enough to compete for many years.  Gosh, handing off to Kamara, passing to Michael Thomas downfield and Kamara out of the backfield, playing behind one of the better offensive lines...yeah...I wouldn't have signed with Miami either.

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Actually, I think Teddy and his team of advisors have played this off season perfectly.  Brees most likely will be retired in another year or two.  Teddy will likely take the helm of a championship caliber offense, where the nucleus will still be young enough to compete for many years.  Gosh, handing off to Kamara, passing to Michael Thomas downfield and Kamara out of the backfield, playing behind one of the better offensive lines...yeah...I wouldn't have signed with Miami either.

I hadn't considered that. You have a point; if the (so-called) Saints actually have enough faith in Teddy to give him the reins, his career could finally get back on track.

Until he has to play us. Then I hope he goes down in flames.

When Blake Bortles was cut by the Jaguars and picked up by the Rams, he became the 13th quarterback from the 2014 NFL draft to leave the team that drafted him. Now only Derek Carr remains.

Other than Carr, Garoppolo and Bortles, first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater is the only quarterback from the 2014 draft who’s still in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/19/derek-carr-is-the-last-quarterback-still-in-place-from-the-2014-nfl-draft/

• 1 month later...

Washington may draft its quarterback of the future tonight. But it remains unclear which quarterback they’re targeting, and who’s making the calls in the team’s draft room. We’ve been hearing for the last 24 hours that owner Dan Snyder wants to get his quarterback tonight and is willing to trade up to get him, but which quarterback is the one Snyder covets?

Dianna Russini of ESPN reports that there’s disagreement within Washington’s front office about which quarterback to select. Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder like Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, but others prefer Duke's Daniel Jones.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/25/more-intrigue-surrounding-washingtons-quarterback-hunt/

Edited by vike daddy

• 3 months later...

Browns 30, Redskins 10

Case Keenum? The veteran looked pretty much what you'd think Keenum would look like behind an offensive line that got bulldozed on nearly every drop back. Under heavy pressure, the QB had some wayward throws and mostly tossed short, going 4-of-9 (44.4 percent) for 60 yards and a TD. He did have a couple of typical Keenum bombs, including getting a big defensive pass interference. His 46-yard TD came on a busted coverage by the Browns. Keenum didn't wow in his three series. He didn't bomb. But unless he looks better the rest of the preseason, if he gets the starting job, it's likely because Haskins isn't ready, or Colt McCoy proves worse.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001040322/article/what-we-learned-from-thursdays-preseason-games