Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

In just over 24 hours from now, the Jets likely have a new franchise quarterback. So what does that mean for the four quarterbacks currently on the team’s roster?

Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty become trade/release candidates, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports. But Teddy Bridgewater isn’t guaranteed a roster spot “at least until he shows he’s healthy” despite signing a one-year deal that included $500,000 guaranteed with the Jets last month.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/25/report-teddy-bridgewater-not-guaranteed-a-roster-spot/

Sam Bradford didn’t wait long to welcome Josh Rosen to the Cardinals. The team’s veteran quarterback sent a text message to the 10th overall pick the morning after the Cardinals selected Rosen. The exchange was chronicled in the Cardinals’ documentary, “Flight Plan,” which the team website teased Tuesday. Rosen and his parents and agent were on their way to the Cardinals’ Tempe facility Friday when Rosen received the text from Bradford.

“Sam just texted me. Bradford,” Rosen tells his agent, Ryan Williams. “He said, ‘Josh, what’s up, man? Welcome to Arizona. Just wanted to let you know that I look forward to playing with you. I’ll be an open book, so if you ever need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope all is well.’”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/01/sam-bradford-sent-josh-rosen-a-text-promising-to-be-an-open-book/

Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan declared Teddy Bridgewater “healthy” during an appearance on WFAN 660 on Tuesday. Maccagnan said the quarterback threw Tuesday as the Jets began phase 2 of the offseason program.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/01/teddy-bridgewater-healthy-and-throwing-mike-maccagnan-says/

as in... please make us an offer, we want to unload him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Jets are in a good position with Bridgewater. Either he’s not healthy and they can unload him for minimal financial loss, or he shows he’s healthy during preseason games and they’ll be able to trade him. 

he also has a very meager contract for the new team to inherit, correct?

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Jets are in a good position with Bridgewater. Either he’s not healthy and they can unload him for minimal financial loss, or he shows he’s healthy during preseason games and they’ll be able to trade him. 

Or he beats out McCown and they can have a better QB starting while Darnold learns. 

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Or he beats out McCown and they can have a better QB starting while Darnold learns. 

They aren’t paying McCown $10M to ride the pine. 

Plus, I can’t agree that Bridgewater is the better QB. McCown’s year in 2017, while nothing special, was still better than anything Bridgewater has done. 

Edited by SemperFeist

do you think Teddy's agent was actually smart enough to see this scenario play out for his client...?

sign a cheap contract with a QB needy team, one likely to draft a new shiny QB, have Teddy look serviceable in pre-season, and then get traded to a "better" team.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

They aren’t paying McCown $10M to ride the pine. 

Plus, I can’t agree that Bridgewater is the better QB. McCown’s year in 2017, while nothing special, was still better than anything Bridgewater has done. 

Didn't McCown have a better 2017 year than Keenum? If not than I believe they were very similar

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

do you think Teddy's agent was actually smart enough to see this scenario play out for his client...?

sign a cheap contract with a QB needy team, one likely to draft a new shiny QB, have Teddy look serviceable in pre-season, and then get traded to a "better" team.

For this to work, someone has to suffer a major QB injury. What better team needs a QB?

i have a difficult time seeing Teddy as a starter this year.

Jets head coach Todd Bowles was asked on Saturday about whether Bridgewater will be a full participant in organized team activities later this month. Bowles said that he expects Bridgewater “to be out there throwing and competing with everybody else,” but didn’t say if Bridgewater has been running during conditioning work and stopped well short of saying the quarterback will be fully participating.

Bowles: “I can’t give you 100 percent. I’ll see when it gets to that. Then I’ll be able to tell you.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/06/todd-bowles-cant-say-if-teddy-bridgewater-will-do-everything-at-otas/