Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And then they'll draft Kyler Murray and trade Josh Rosen?

As crazy as it sounds if that is who KK wants that is who they should draft. If he's going to fail he needs to fail with his guy.

I'm sure they could even orchestrate a little trade down and nab Murray, just have to decide if you're willing to take that risk.

I think it also depends on what they could get for Rosen.

22 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Why? Having a guy with starting experience (and playoff experience) who has had some success and isn't a guy who is going to make waves in the locker room seems like an obviously good thing. 

I view it as the same mess that happened with Washington when they hired Spurrier who thought that he could make a NFL success out of Danny Wuerffel when he brought Shane Matthews on board as well as the bridge.  I just personally believe it's a formula for disaster to bring in guys you're familiar with from the college level because you believe you can emulate the same success. 

Even moreso, I don't believe it would be a good situation for Keenum.  I personally believe he needs a good support system around him and I have no faith that Arizona, with their unproven coaching staff and the ownership in place, has that.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I view it as the same mess that happened with Washington when they hired Spurrier who thought that he could make a NFL success out of Danny Wuerffel when he brought Shane Matthews on board as well as the bridge.  I just personally believe it's a formula for disaster to bring in guys you're familiar with from the college level because you believe you can emulate the same success. 

Even moreso, I don't believe it would be a good situation for Keenum.  I personally believe he needs a good support system around him and I have no faith that Arizona, with their unproven coaching staff and the ownership in place, has that.  

But Keenum wouldn't be a bridge, he would be a backup.

28 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

But Keenum wouldn't be a bridge, he would be a backup.

Makes no difference to me, as that's a distinction without a difference.  I guess if you want to pay your backup QB double-digit millions of dollars, feel free, but there's no incentive for Case to be happy with that, nor really for Arizona to do that in spending that kind of money on a guy who won't even play.  You may as well as call them Jets-west then.  

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Makes no difference to me, as that's a distinction without a difference.  I guess if you want to pay your backup QB double-digit millions of dollars, feel free, but there's no incentive for Case to be happy with that, nor really for Arizona to do that in spending that kind of money on a guy who won't even play.  You may as well as call them Jets-west then.  

A bridge QB indicates he would be starting until the other guy is ready. Backup indicates he will be the backup. The millions of dollars are the incentive for Case to be happy with that, and the post we are talking about said they would plan to extend his deal to lower his cap number. What if it's $8 million a year? Do you have the same opinion?

Also, Rosen looked like hot garbage last year, so I don't see why bringing in an experienced backup is so ludicrous to you. The Cardinals signed Bradford and Glennon last year to $24 million worth in contracts. If you are this opposed to Keenum (which is a smart move), you should have started a riot about the Bradford/Glennon deals.

45 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

What if it's $8 million a year? Do you have the same opinion?

Also, Rosen looked like hot garbage last year, so I don't see why bringing in an experienced backup is so ludicrous to you. The Cardinals signed Bradford and Glennon last year to $24 million worth in contracts. If you are this opposed to Keenum (which is a smart move), you should have started a riot about the Bradford/Glennon deals.

Yes.  That wouldn't change my opinion.  

Based upon the coaching staff that was in place, I'm not sure how anything that happened a year ago is applicable as far as Rosen goes. I did think they were ridiculous in giving Bradford the money they did, and the Glennon move was stupid, especially when they anticipated getting any QB in the draft.  Having one of them was fine (better Bradford than Glennon though, since Glennon has always been hot garbage), having both of them was a sign of pure incompetence by the organization.  As I initially indicated, my concern is much more about Keenum going to Arizona than Arizona bringing in Keenum, even though I don't think it'd be a wise move with the money either.  IMO, they'd be much wiser to bring Josh McCown back to the place where he started than bring Keenum in.  But that's just me.  It'd be a wiser investment of that 8-10M than Keenum.  At least McCown has shown some success in working in "Hot Mess" environments.  xD

General Manager John Elway announced Wednesday the Broncos will exercise the 2019 contract options for receiver Emmanuel Sanders and defensive end Derek Wolfe. Quarterback Case Keenum‘s future with the team is less certain. Keenum, 31, likely is moving on again after one year in Denver.

Elway: “We don’t know yet. As I told Case when I talked to him, the different options that we are going to work with him and give him time to think about it. We’ll circle back with Case and see where he is and go from there.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/27/broncos-giving-case-keenum-time-to-ponder-future/

Washington didn’t have to give up much to get quarterback Case Keenum. It sent a sixth-rounder to Denver in 2020, with Washington getting the Broncos’ seventh-rounder in 2020, Mike Klis of Denver’s 9News reports.

Keenum got a reworked contract, with the Broncos paying him a $500,000 restructure bonus and $3.5 million of his $7 million salary, according to Klis.

The deal becomes official Wednesday when the league year begins.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/07/washington-gets-case-keenum-in-swap-of-late-round-picks/

One detail that seems to be missing is that  Keenum was due a base salary of $18M in 2019. The $7M that is being talked about is the fully guaranteed portion of that. 

So, it sounds like the Redskins will also be on the hook for the remaining $11M as well if Keenum is on their roster for week one, or is Denver eating that amount?

Edited by SemperFeist

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Another terrible fit for Keenum's arm.  He needs to play inside (or in the South) to have any chance.  

Quite frankly, I’d refuse to go. There’s no way you’d get me to play on that surface for 8+ games.

I’m surprised players haven’t done this yet. 

• Like 1