Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

• 5 months later...

The restructure of Bridgewater’s deal eliminates the final year and $21 million of his contract in 2022, Mike Klis of 9News reports. The Panthers and Broncos also will split in some way the $10 million base guarantee for this season.

Bridgewater had $10 million guaranteed on a $17.95 million payout for this year. He will make $11.5 million this season, a source tells PFT.

The Broncos and Panthers began trade talks in March, but his contract made a deal complicated. Finally, the teams and Bridgewater’s representation reached agreement on something that works for everyone.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/28/report-broncos-restructure-teddy-bridgewaters-contract/

Fourteen months ago, Carolina signed Teddy Bridgewater to a three-year, $60-million deal.

• Bridgewater threw 15 touchdown passes in 15 starts, went 1-9 after Week 5, and the staff soured on him.

• Carolina traded Bridgewater to Denver for a sixth-round pick Wednesday. The Panthers had to pay $7 million of the $11.5-million total compensation due Bridgewater in 2021 in order to make the deal.

• Nine percent of the Carolina 2021 cap allotment—$17 million out of $182 million—will be dead money for the abandonment of Bridgewater on the Panthers’ cap.

• In toto, Carolina paid $31 million for one season (and four wins) of Bridgewater on the roster.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/aaron-rodgers-trade-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Fourteen months ago, Carolina signed Teddy Bridgewater to a three-year, $60-million deal.

• Bridgewater threw 15 touchdown passes in 15 starts, went 1-9 after Week 5, and the staff soured on him.

• Carolina traded Bridgewater to Denver for a sixth-round pick Wednesday. The Panthers had to pay $7 million of the $11.5-million total compensation due Bridgewater in 2021 in order to make the deal.

• Nine percent of the Carolina 2021 cap allotment—$17 million out of $182 million—will be dead money for the abandonment of Bridgewater on the Panthers’ cap.

• In toto, Carolina paid $31 million for one season (and four wins) of Bridgewater on the roster.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/aaron-rodgers-trade-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

I wonder how much of that 1-9 after Week 5 had to do with not having Christian McCaffrey and 6 of those 10 games were against playoff teams, with one of those other 4 against the VIkings...a game which they never should have lost.  While I don't think Teddy can win you games on his own, he ain't gonna lose them on his own either.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

He's a career backup. Not a bad gig to have.

He’s a little better than that. He’s Ryan Fitzpatrick. Basically a starting QB that gets recycled every year keeping the seat warm for a younger option. Teddys probably in that 22-26 tier of starting QBs, so he’s not terrible but most teams want better than below average.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d even say that’s generous, at this point. 

Perhaps. I feel like at any given time, Teddy (and Fitzpatrick) are essentially top 25ish QBs. They are known starters and you’ll be competitive with them and certainly better than guys like Darnold and Lock. You could do a hell of a lot worse. But obviously teams look for upside and want to give those high picks opportunities to be franchise QBs. In the end, it’s not a bad gig to be a journeyman placeholder and I think that’s where Teddy is now and Fitzpatrick perfected. I don’t think these guys go to situations to be just a backup, it seems they end up on teams that have some QB uncertainty for a reason. Though Teddy did go to New Orleans but that was probably part of his long game at securing a long term gig, which obviously didn’t work out.

Edited by vikingsrule

I think Denver is going to be Bridgewater’s last shot at even being a journeyman starter. I don’t even think he’s a guy who you can be competitive with, as he just isn’t a guy who’ll make plays. 

Looking at the AFC, I’m certainly confident in saying that Bridgewater is the worst starting QB in the conference. If being a starter isn’t a guarantee. And looking at the NFC, there aren’t 5 quarterbacks that I’d take Bridgewater over. 

I think it says everything that Carolina, who paid Bridgewater a significant contract, not only chose Sam Darnold over him, but are also basically paying another team to take him. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Looking at the AFC, I’m certainly confident in saying that Bridgewater is the worst starting QB in the conference. If being a starter isn’t a guarantee. And looking at the NFC, there aren’t 5 quarterbacks that I’d take Bridgewater over. 

I don't know if I can say that yet.  I think Teddy might even be a better QB than Roethlisberger at this point in time...and he's clearly better than what Tua has shown thus far...and until he shows me otherwise, I might take Teddy over Wentz...who I still insist I've never been impressed with.  

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't know if I can say that yet.  I think Teddy might even be a better QB than Roethlisberger at this point in time...and he's clearly better than what Tua has shown thus far...and until he shows me otherwise, I might take Teddy over Wentz...who I still insist I've never been impressed with.  

Teddy is better than Wentz. But I think you can argue Wentz has more upside. 

55 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Based on what is Teddy better than those QBs? He doesn’t score as often and he turns the ball over more frequently. 

If you go simply off of DYAR (and PFF rating) last year, he's comparable to Roethlisberger and significantly above both Tua and Wentz (and even the guy who replaced him in Darnold).  So clearly, he must be far better than any of them based on their systems.  Big Ben has dramatically tailed off from just a couple of years ago, Tua has shown nothing thus far, and Wentz had an awful year last year, but has gotten worse every year. 

Teddy, you pretty much know what you're going to get (65-69% passing, 15 TDs, 10 Ints).  He's been remarkably consistent despite his catastrophic injury, so you can plan around it until you can find someone who you believe is going to be dramatically better.  Ben isn't going to get better, Tua hasn't shown he's going to be better, and Wentz is a complete unknown and been far more inconsistent at this point.