Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Per a Twitter discussion I'm having, am I wrong in saying that Teddy is a far better starting option for Denver than Drew Lock is?  

Well...it depends, and I'm a Teddy fan, and I also think Lock is probably suited to be a backup.  Teddy is going to be A LOT less careless with ball, because he is patient...but, he's also risk averse. He's not going to go for the home run deep down the middle unless the receiver is really, really open. 

Lock, on the other hand is what is called a "gunslinger."  He's extremely confident in his abilities and he's willing to take ill advised chances.  Unfortunately for him, I don't think he has the talent to back up his self confidence.  He attempts a lot of similar passes as Favre, but doesn't have the same abilities as Favre.  

So, if I had to choose the starter, it would 99% Teddy.  1% of the time, I'd want to put Lock out their to see if he can perform some magic.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Per a Twitter discussion I'm having, am I wrong in saying that Teddy is a far better starting option for Denver than Drew Lock is?  

I’d roll with Lock. He’ll make his mistakes, but Bridgewater makes plenty himself. But Lock will make throws, and plays, that Bridgewater wouldn’t even think to attempt.

I’d gamble that with a full offseason, and real practices, that Lock will look more like he did as a rookie than he did last year. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

According to PFF, Drew Lock had 23 turnover worthy plays last year, compared to 20 for Bridgewater. 

Given the aggressive nature of Lock compared to Bridgewater’s more passive approach, I certainly can’t say that Bridgewater is going to be better at taking care of the football. 

Edited by SemperFeist

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

According to PFF, Drew Lock had 23 turnover worthy plays last year, compared to 20 for Bridgewater. 

Given the aggressive nature of Lock compared to Bridgewater’s more passive approach, I certainly can’t say that Bridgewater is going to be better at taking care of the football. 

Lock is the better option but he obviously has a short leash. I think come early October, there should be enough on Lock to decide to put in Teddy if a change is needed. I’m not confident that Denver is a playoff team with Teddy but with Lock, it’s boom or bust. Chiefs and Chargers will certainly be tough teams this year so putting out a below average QB like Teddy doesn’t move the needle enough relative to Lock’s upside. Time isn’t on Locks side in terms of realizing that potential. 

19 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

While I don't doubt some of that, I hate it when I see "turnover worthy" plays, because that immediately tells me that's subjective.  

I look at Football Outsiders and I see that Teddy was the 18th best QB last year...Lock was 30th.  Take it for what it's worth, but Teddy was ahead of Dak Prescott, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Lamar Jackson as well.  He was 19th in DVOA, now behind Fitzpatrick and Prescott, but still ahead of Jackson, while Lock was still 28th.  To me, it's still no question that Teddy is a far better QB than Lock.  As far as I'm concerned, Lock isn't even starter-level, even in a spot situation.  He's a backup, pure and simple.  I think teams can get by with Teddy, they can't with Lock.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Like Carolina got by? 

It speaks volumes when a team pays to get rid of a player. 

You saw the Carolina HC basically give away the game to the Vikings single-handedly, I'm not sure I can trust anything they're doing there as sound logic.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You saw the Carolina HC basically give away the game to the Vikings single-handedly, I'm not sure I can trust anything they're doing there as sound logic.  

I also saw Bridgewater double clutch on a wide open receiver in the endzone, and turn what could have been a game winning play into a failed opportunity. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, CriminalMind said:

There no question that I would roll with Drew Lock over Teddy B, all things considered like career body of work, remaining untapped potential and last season actual play. 

In my mind, Drew Lock has no potential.  But, based on this conversation here, it seems to be the same as it was there, about 50-50 either way...although I think everyone is in agreement that neither player is a long-term solution.   

Edited by swede700

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Teddy is the ultimate "tortoise" to Drew Lock's "hare".  Teddy ain't gonna wow you, but he'll just keep going and will be left standing at the end.  It's why I still believe that they should just start Teddy and draft a new guy next year.  Lock ain't the answer...and never was.  He's a worse version of Jameis Winston.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1