Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

15 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They know what Teddy is....an ok QB. Lock MIGHT be good. You have to play Lock in that situation. (to be clear, I don't think Lock will be good, but we know Teddy won't be)

Play to win, or go home.

There is no "might be good" to Lock.  He never should have been drafted in the 2nd rd in the first place.  It was another case of Elway being a bad evaluator of QBs.  He's the Michael Jordan of the NFL.  Great player, terrible evaluator of talent.  He finally did the right thing and is sticking to what he knows, as he's decent in management of people, but he's not a scout at heart, which is where Paton thrives.   I think Paton/Fangio are just throwing a bone to Lock by even letting him compete, because if I already know what he is, they certainly do.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They know what Teddy is....an ok QB. Lock MIGHT be good. You have to play Lock in that situation. (to be clear, I don't think Lock will be good, but we know Teddy won't be)

Play to win, or go home.

Lock will not provide wins for Denver.  He's not smart with the football.

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There is no "might be good" to Lock.  He never should have been drafted in the 2nd rd in the first place.  It was another case of Elway being a bad evaluator of QBs.  He's the Michael Jordan of the NFL.  Great player, terrible evaluator of talent.  He finally did the right thing and is sticking to what he knows, as he's decent in management of people, but he's not a scout at heart, which is where Paton thrives.   I think Paton/Fangio are just throwing a bone to Lock by even letting him compete, because if I already know what he is, they certainly do.  

My prediction is that Lock will be traded or cut before the real season starts.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This makes the decision to pass on Fields, Jones, or any QB available in the draft look very bad. 

I understand the perception, but it all depends upon how Paton felt about them.  To him, maybe Fields or Jones weren't good fits for the offensive scheme that was going to be run.  Unless Fields or Jones turn out to be HOFers, I don't believe he can really be criticized on it.  I know I have never been sold on Fields or Jones either, so even if they probably need a QB, I don't believe they should take one just to take one.  I'm pretty sure he learned the same from the whole Ponder fiasco.  

The abilities of Fields and Jones cover the entire gamut of styles of offense that you’d look to run, so if they didn’t that they would be able to run the offense, but they thought Lock or Bridgewater could, I’d seriously question their ability to evaluate talent. Not to mention, that they should be adjusting their scheme to best fit the players, especially the QB. 

But it also goes well beyond Fields and Jones. The Broncos didn’t draft any QB to try and develop for the future, which tells me that Paton did not learn from the Ponder fiasco. The Ponder fiasco wasn’t a fiasco because they drafted Ponder. It was a fiasco because of poor roster management (not drafting a development QB while Favre was here, and entering the draft with zero QBs on the roster), and then over drafting Ponder. Ironically. Denver is setting themselves up for something similar, as Drew Lock is the only QB they have under contract beyond this season, and they just announced that he’s not their guy. Setting themselves up for a desperation type situation surrounding the QB spot.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The abilities of Fields and Jones cover the entire gamut of styles of offense that you’d look to run, so if they didn’t that they would be able to run the offense, but they thought Lock or Bridgewater could, I’d seriously question their ability to evaluate talent. Not to mention, that they should be adjusting their scheme to best fit the players, especially the QB. 

But it also goes well beyond Fields and Jones. The Broncos didn’t draft any QB to try and develop for the future, which tells me that Paton did not learn from the Ponder fiasco. The Ponder fiasco wasn’t a fiasco because they drafted Ponder. It was a fiasco because of poor roster management (not drafting a development QB while Favre was here, and entering the draft with zero QBs on the roster), and then over drafting Ponder. Ironically. Denver is setting themselves up for something similar, as Drew Lock is the only QB they have under contract beyond this season, and they just announced that he’s not their guy. Setting themselves up for a desperation type situation surrounding the QB spot.

Teddy will be fine in Denver for a couple of reasons. (1) The Broncos have an elite or at least very good defense.  Teddy's strength is his ability to protect the ball.  (2) The Broncos offensive scheme fits Teddy's skill set much better than the Panthers ever did.  He has receivers who are just as good as Carolinas and a better offensive line to play behind.  

You can't trust Lock NOT to throw the boneheaded pick, which puts the defense on it's heels and could tire out the strength of the team.  As good as the front seven of the Denver defense is, they don't have a whole lot of trustworthy depth if they have to be on the field more.  Teddy will throw picks, but he's much smarter with the ball

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Webb was on the roster as a QB. 

We should change the thread title by taking out Bradford and adding Heinicke, the #2 QB with the Redskins.

• 3 weeks later...