Mid-FA Period Mock Draft (Jets Trade)

DoleINGout

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Not worry, I moved Ateman up to the Raiders pick as I see Gruden targeting a big Mike Evans type receiver on offense who can help in the red zone. Gain is the pick lower in the round for the Falcons now thanks to your insight. Hayden Hurst I have falling into the top of the fourth round instead of being the Raiders selection in the third. Also, I know you are up to date with a lot of this NFL stuff, but Ateman is somewhat of a down field threat. He has long strides and his high pointing ability make him an option that routinely compensated for his speed in college when compared to a burner like Deon Cain. Ateman isn't a traditional deep threat, but he does stretch the field a bit. Cain will do that for a couple more seasons into his career than Ateman will when both guys slow down, but for a while I think Ateman can hold is own in that regard.

Ateman won't do that in the NFL, though. That's the thing. His speed won't help him get those deep balls there. 

Cain is a better fit for Atlanta in that respect.

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This trade sucks because Barkley is on the board. We're picking him if he's there at #4 and we already took our QB.

Ok fine. I'm not going to crucify you for this because I like Baker, but he's nowhere near as good as Darnold or Rosen in terms of his pro prospects. Give us Darnold.

Gross. McGlinchey can't handle speed rushers. There is no OT in this draft worth taking in the 1st round. Taking McGlinchey in the top 15 is a sin. We aren't going to bring in another OT...we already have 4 on the roster and apparently are going to give Shon Coleman a shot at LT before trying to find a replacement. And McGlinchey is a RT all the way. Substitute pick: Derwin James FS or Marcus Davenport DE if we have to trade down.

This pick is pretty bad. Probably my least favorite. The board kind of sucks for this pick, so I'd probably give us Derwin James at #12 and then pair him with CB Jaire Alexander at #22 here. Taven Bryan isn't any different than what we already have on the roster. We have a plethora of explosive 3-Techs and don't value DT very high. Plus Taven Bryan isn't even the BPA at DT at this spot IMO.

This is acceptable, but I'd much rather have Derrius Guice here instead of losing out on him a pick later. Give us Guice, but Oliver isn't a terrible selection.

Supremely overrated. I wouldn't take Penny before the 4th round. At this point, assuming Oliver is gone to NYG a pick earlier, I'd want Arden Key, Lorenzo Carter, or Mike Hughes here.

Good pick, good fit.

So I'd draft this:

#1--Darnold QB

#4--Barkley RB

2nd--Oliver CB

2nd--Hughes CB

2nd--Miller WR

Or if we have to trade down for some reason:

#1--Darnold/QB

#12--James/FS

#22--Alexander/CB

2nd--Guice/RB

2nd--Oliver/Hughes CB

2nd--Miller/WR

How about:

1. Sam Darnold/QB

12. Mike McGlinchey/OT

22. Calton Davis/CB-FS

2nd--Isaiah Oliver/CB

2nd--Sam Hubbard/DE-OLB

2nd--Anthony Miller/WR

4th --Nick Chubb (or Royce Freeman)/RB

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

How about:

1. Sam Darnold/QB

12. Mike McGlinchey/OT

22. Calton Davis/CB-FS

2nd--Isaiah Oliver/CB

2nd--Sam Hubbard/DE-OLB

2nd--Anthony Miller/WR

4th --Nick Chubb (or Royce Freeman)/RB

Acceptable, except get rid of McGlinchey. He's poopy. I don't even want him in the 2nd round, let alone in the top 12. We need a LT, not an overrated RT, which is what this class is littered with. I understand we aren't replacing Joe Thomas in this draft regardless of how many selections we have, but this isn't the draft to be going after his replacement. I don't think any of the OT's in this class could beat out Shon Coleman at LT right now to be honest.

Replace McGlinchey with Derwin James or Marcus Davenport. If we get Davenport, then replace Sam Hubbard with RB/WR.

And Nick Chubb please. Royce Freeman sux.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

@BleedTheClock I figured Chubb would be the pick in the fourth round which is why I put him first. As far as McGlinchey goes, you're too harsh on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into an multiple year All Pro tackle.

What traits do you like about McGlinchey? I've seen him get roasted by speed rushers for his entire career. He's a pretty good run blocker, but he's also pretty small given how tall he is. I don't know if he's a power tackle or a pass blocker. He's kind of stuck in between.

My favorite potential LT from this class is the Pitt OT Brian O'Neill. He's got elite athleticism and foot speed. His only issue is he lunges constantly. That's more of a fixable trait. McGlinchey seems stiff in the hips and struggles to get set before the pass rusher is outside of his framework. I would much rather gamble on O'Neill, who at least has the athleticism to match speed rushers as a LT. But yeah, this OT class isn't very good unless you need a run blocking RT.

The two top LT prospects, IMO, are O'Neill from Pitt and Noteboom from TCU. O'Neill is a 2nd round pick and Noteboom is a 4th-5th round pick. I would be fine with either of those guys in those spots, but nothing sooner.

Oh, and Kolton Miller has a lot of potential, but is extremely raw and inconsistent. He could be a LT based on athleticism and length, but again, I don't think he's nearly refined enough to go in the 1st round. My top tackle overall is still Orlando Brown, who probably has to play RT.

McGlinchey has improvements to make but so did Nate Solder when be was drafted out of Colorado. I remember thinking Solder would struggle for the same reasons. Too weak, athletic but not good enough to keep up with speed rushers causes of his height, better on the right side instead of the left, very raw. McGlinchey isn't raw at all, he is technically sound. What I expect is McGlinchey to be picked around the same place in the draft as Solder was, and developing into a terrific tackle.

Archived