Mid-FA Period Mock Draft (Jets Trade)

DoleINGout

3 hours ago, QBin2017 said:

I have to say this is very confusing for the Texans. 

3a - I’m good here. We definitely need more help at Tackle. 

3b - We have a very good young NT in DJ Reader. We have great DT depth.  Can’t see any reason we would ever draft a NT. 

3c - Cole is good but why would we draft him?  Nick Martin is the best part of our Line at C in his third year.  We just signed two more Guards in FA. Don’t see this being a pick. Another OT, maybe. 

Overall our needs in order are now: 

LT - Davenport May develop but may not

CB1 - JJo is a stop gap

TE - Need a blocker like Dalton Schultz

RT 

OLB - Merciless entering final year of deal  

RB - Foreman’s health questionable and Lamar Miller will be released next year when he’s due $7.5M  I would guess we use a later round pick on one who can block and play ST  to 

QB2 : probably Matt Moore coming in, but if not Kyle Allen or Logan Woodside with a 6th makes sense. 

The thinking was that Cole would be able to play anywhere along the line. I made him the Jets pick however after receiving feedback from you and a Jets fan. I made Troy Fumagalli the 3b pick and QB Luke Falk the 3c pick.

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Tim Settle is now the projected second round pick.

Again, not great. 

I’m a big fan of building up the trenches but drafting DTs in back to back rounds when we’ve already got Richardson and Joseph isn’t the best use of resources - especially after drafting Jaleel Johnson last year.

Corner, Wide Receiver, Offensive Tackle, Defensive End, Linebacker all need depth and/or potential starters as Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Waynes all have contracts coming up and the Vikings may be sliding Mike Remmers down to guard this season - this would leave a question mark at right tackle. Rashod Hill was sevicable but could probably be improved upon. 

23 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Again, not great. 

I’m a big fan of building up the trenches but drafting DTs in back to back rounds when we’ve already got Richardson and Joseph isn’t the best use of resources - especially after drafting Jaleel Johnson last year.

Corner, Wide Receiver, Offensive Tackle, Defensive End, Linebacker all need depth and/or potential starters as Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Waynes all have contracts coming up and the Vikings may be sliding Mike Remmers down to guard this season - this would leave a question mark at right tackle. Rashod Hill was sevicable but could probably be improved upon. 

Sheldon Richardson signed a one year deal. Linval Joseph's dead cap number drops significantly in comparison to his cap hit next year when he turns 30. I think Settle is a good pick in the second and if Maurice Hurst is there in the third he is a more of a value pick. Hurst will probably be a rotation player his entire career now that it is revealed he has a heart condition. If the Vikings go DT with at least one of their two picks on day two, then I could see the Vikings targeting an offensive tackle like you said. The value isn't really there at the Vikings picks in the second or third relative to the players available so maybe if I do a fourth and fifh round you'd see a wide receiever and offensive tackle picked for the Vikings.

I’m not necessarily a believer in taking a RB high in today’s nfl, but Barkley is a generational talent who I see as a faster Marshall Faulk. I’ll take it. I like taking a shot at Key in the 2nd. I don’t think we’re necessarily going to take a high OL with the addition of Jensen. Going to depend on the health of Sweezy. I’d prefer us taking the best available DB at this point in the 3rd.

2 minutes ago, bigdog2372 said:

I’m not necessarily a believer in taking a RB high in today’s nfl, but Barkley is a generational talent who I see as a faster Marshall Faulk. I’ll take it. I like taking a shot at Key in the 2nd. I don’t think we’re necessarily going to take a high OL with the addition of Jensen. Going to depend on the health of Sweezy. I’d prefer us taking the best available DB at this point in the 3rd.

Fair enough in the third round, I just think the Bucc's know they have some questions along the offensive kine starting with JR Sweezy. I appreciate your observations on the other two picks.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Sheldon Richardson signed a one year deal. Linval Joseph's dead cap number drops significantly in comparison to his cap hit next year when he turns 30. I think Settle is a good pick in the second and if Maurice Hurst is there in the third he is a more of a value pick. Hurst will probably be a rotation player his entire career now that it is revealed he has a heart condition. If the Vikings go DT with at least one of their two picks on day two, then I could see the Vikings targeting an offensive tackle like you said. The value isn't really there at the Vikings picks in the second or third relative to the players available so maybe if I do a fourth and fifh round you'd see a wide receiever and offensive tackle picked for the Vikings.

So what if his dead cap hit drops? He’s not going anywhere... he’s one of the best, if not the best, at a position where he could play to his mid 30s. He just signed an extension last August through 2022 and is an integral part of Zimmer’s scheme  

its very unlikely the team spends a second round pick on a position that comes off the field on third down when they’re a starter... let alone one that would be sitting behind another player for a few years and not really ever see any meaningful snaps, barring injury  

Like I said, just not a good use of resources. I like the player a lot, but Settle makes zero sense for this team. 

1 minute ago, pigsooie5 said:

Given how heavily Ryan Pace upgraded the Bears offense in FA (Allen Robinson/Trey Burton/Taylor Gabriel), I’d assume we see him go Defense early. Certainly not trading up for a OG. 

They need offensive line help just as much as they needed help building the receiving corps. There are reports that the Bears are going to extend Eddie Goldman and they just re-signed Kyle Fuller. Pace is addressing defense now too. Free agency is on it's fourth day today and there is still a lot out there to be done. I'm sure we will see some signings for the Bears on the defense. Trading up two spots for Quenton Nelson is trading up for a difference maker and someone who will be penciled in to start for ten seasons when drafted by a team. One Bears fan already warned me that not all others would like the pick, but that Bears fan said it was good pick. I think it is a good pick and I could see it happening since they trading up one spot last year to get their quarterback.

19 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

And your contribution to this discussion is valuable. So thanks again. I appreciate the insight. Deon Cain seems like a fit. Ateman too.

Ateman isnt a fit. He just isn’t. I like him in a vacuum, but the Falcons aren’t looking for a slow WR. They already have two in Hardy and Sanu. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Ateman isnt a fit. He just isn’t. I like him in a vacuum, but the Falcons aren’t looking for a slow WR. They already have two in Hardy and Sanu. 

Not worry, I moved Ateman up to the Raiders pick as I see Gruden targeting a big Mike Evans type receiver on offense who can help in the red zone. Gain is the pick lower in the round for the Falcons now thanks to your insight. Hayden Hurst I have falling into the top of the fourth round instead of being the Raiders selection in the third. Also, I know you are up to date with a lot of this NFL stuff, but Ateman is somewhat of a down field threat. He has long strides and his high pointing ability make him an option that routinely compensated for his speed in college when compared to a burner like Deon Cain. Ateman isn't a traditional deep threat, but he does stretch the field a bit. Cain will do that for a couple more seasons into his career than Ateman will when both guys slow down, but for a while I think Ateman can hold is own in that regard.

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pretty terrible and unrealistic for the Browns. And I actually like Baker Mayfield. The only pick I liked was Anthony Miller at the bottom of the 2nd round. Everything else was a trainwreck.

How will the Browns pick, please tell.

On 3/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, DoleINGout said:

*CLE trade pick 4 to BUF for picks 12, 22 & 2019 1st Round Pick

This trade sucks because Barkley is on the board. We're picking him if he's there at #4 and we already took our QB.

1. B. Mayfield - QB, CLE

Ok fine. I'm not going to crucify you for this because I like Baker, but he's nowhere near as good as Darnold or Rosen in terms of his pro prospects. Give us Darnold.

12. M. McGlinchey - LT, CLE*

Gross. McGlinchey can't handle speed rushers. There is no OT in this draft worth taking in the 1st round. Taking McGlinchey in the top 15 is a sin. We aren't going to bring in another OT...we already have 4 on the roster and apparently are going to give Shon Coleman a shot at LT before trying to find a replacement. And McGlinchey is a RT all the way. Substitute pick: Derwin James FS or Marcus Davenport DE if we have to trade down.

22. T. Bryan - DT, CLE*

This pick is pretty bad. Probably my least favorite. The board kind of sucks for this pick, so I'd probably give us Derwin James at #12 and then pair him with CB Jaire Alexander at #22 here. Taven Bryan isn't any different than what we already have on the roster. We have a plethora of explosive 3-Techs and don't value DT very high. Plus Taven Bryan isn't even the BPA at DT at this spot IMO.

33. I. Oliver - CB, CLE

This is acceptable, but I'd much rather have Derrius Guice here instead of losing out on him a pick later. Give us Guice, but Oliver isn't a terrible selection.

35. R. Penny - RB, CLE

Supremely overrated. I wouldn't take Penny before the 4th round. At this point, assuming Oliver is gone to NYG a pick earlier, I'd want Arden Key, Lorenzo Carter, or Mike Hughes here.

64. A. Miller - WR, CLE

Good pick, good fit.

So I'd draft this:

#1--Darnold QB

#4--Barkley RB

2nd--Oliver CB

2nd--Hughes CB

2nd--Miller WR

Or if we have to trade down for some reason:

#1--Darnold/QB

#12--James/FS