Lions close to signing frank gore

flyguy1609

15 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Source says RB Frank Gore and Detroit Lions close to reaching an agreement. Five-time Pro Bowler rushed for 961 yards (3.7 ypc) w three TDs for Colts last year. Will be 35 in May.

Disagree with the second tweet. Frank Gore won't go into the HOF as a Lion. Most likely, Gore will sign a 1 day contract with the Eagles when it's time to wrap up his career.

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Frank Gore's worst year is still better than anything we've had for years. He's a great veteran RB. 

I want nothing to do with Peterson. 

Assuming both FA guys get signed, we could be looking at Gore/Blount/Riddick.. have to imagine a rookie gets tossed into the mix as well. Probably need a guy with a little more juice but our power back problems would be solved.

Not really a fan of this - I just don't think that Gore has anything left in the tank. 

Hopefully this is just something to take the pressure off of a rookie and play a bit of a mentor role. Gore isn't really great at anything anymore, but he can do a bit of everything I suppose and should be a good veteran presence. 

I just don't want to see him getting 15 carries per game for 54 yards or whatever. 

This is flat out stupid. 

Let's spend our time checking out old *** rbs 

There gonna take one in the draft so why..  no ones rushing to sign gore..they are showing there draft hand..so we will be lucky to get the dlmen we want either..

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Assuming both FA guys get signed, we could be looking at Gore/Blount/Riddick.. have to imagine a rookie gets tossed into the mix as well. Probably need a guy with a little more juice but our power back problems would be solved.

sorry, but would not be optimistic with that backfield....blount should probably be retiring soon...and gore....should be in a retirement home with lots of ice by now...and Riddick is trash for RB...yeah he can catch..but thats one dimensional...it's 2018 not 1954. we need guys that can do multiple things...we don't have a back that can rush for 5 yards up the middle...

1 hour ago, NFL_Fan said:

sorry, but would not be optimistic with that backfield....blount should probably be retiring soon...and gore....should be in a retirement home with lots of ice by now...and Riddick is trash for RB...yeah he can catch..but thats one dimensional...it's 2018 not 1954. we need guys that can do multiple things...we don't have a back that can rush for 5 yards up the middle...

Riddick is a solid all-purpose RB. His pass catching is at an elite level and he can do enough damage in the run game to at least be taken slightly seriously when he's lined up in the back. He's been our best RB for the last 3 years. We've had absolute trash, so that doesn't mean I'm comparing him to Kamara. He's just been the best that we've had. We need to add other guys into the mix.

For everyone complaining, there are articles that talk about why the Lions would bring in someone like Gore. He is a veteran presence that can help to set the culture for a young RB corp. He has also been productive enough to get us something reliable in the run game. This is going to be a RBBC. You need more than one guy. Quinn and Patricia come from the Patriots school of thinking. This is a team philosophy. Hate it or love it, there is a purpose behind this. Apart from sheer luck, we aren't going to have a bellcow like Shady McCoy or Bell unless they fall in the draft and become a value pick.

Blount = back that will rush for 5 yards up the middle and carry half of the other teams defense with him. He likely has another one or two years to go but he is still productive and he likes Patricia.

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Not really a fan of this - I just don't think that Gore has anything left in the tank. 

Hopefully this is just something to take the pressure off of a rookie and play a bit of a mentor role. Gore isn't really great at anything anymore, but he can do a bit of everything I suppose and should be a good veteran presence. 

I just don't want to see him getting 15 carries per game for 54 yards or whatever. 

Assuming we go with the Patriots style RBBC, likely wouldn't see Gore at 15 carries. The Pats ride the hot hand and try to exploit matchups with their opponents. It's why people hate on them for fantasy. Burkhead could get 20 yards and 3 TD's one week, Lewis goes for 150 all purpose the next week and White does his thing the week after that. Blount was the last semi-consistent pure RB and that was 2 years ago.

Archived