Who have been the winners and losers of free agency?

JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, Elky said:

Along with dealing with the Hernandez drama, we lost ~70% of our 2012 offensive production in the 2013 offseason, yet we still found a way to go 12-4 and reach the AFC Championship.

Im well aware its worked out perfectly fine in the past. The offense should still be great with Gronk and Edelman around but the defensive side of the ball lacks more talent compared to other Pats teams I can remember.

9 minutes ago, Elky said:

Along with dealing with the Hernandez drama, we lost ~70% of our 2012 offensive production in the 2013 offseason, yet we still found a way to go 12-4 and reach the AFC Championship.

Oh yeah? But I was told Brady is going to fall off a cliff this year. I know it was said last year as well, but for sure it happens this year! 

59 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

and teams like the Packers and Falcons, while good, are always pretty overrated because of one or two certain players on their roster.

I feel like the Falcons are actually sort of underrated. Sark was a garbage OC. I expect them to improve next year. Pack will be back. 49ers on the rise as well.

In terms of how I think there record will be compared to how they were last year.

NFC East: 
Eagles: --
Cowboys: --
Redskins: --
Giants: Rise

NFC North:
Vikings: --
Packers: Rise
Lions Fall
Bears: Rise

NFC South:
Saints: --
Panthers: Fall
Falcons: Rise
Bucs: --

NFC West:
Rams: Rise
Seahawks: Fall
49ers: Rise
Cardinals: Rise

AFC East:
Patriots: Fall
Dolphins: Fall
Bills: --
Jets: Fall

AFC North: 
Steelers: Fall
Ravens: Fall
Bengals: --
Browns: Rise

AFC South:
Jaguars: --
Texans: Rise
Titans: Fall
Colts: Rise

AFC West: 
Chiefs: Fall
Chargers: Rise
Raiders: Rise
Broncos: -- 

6 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

Im well aware its worked out perfectly fine in the past. The offense should still be great with Gronk and Edelman around but the defensive side of the ball lacks more talent compared to other Pats teams I can remember.

The draft is a month away and the regular season doesn't start for another six months. Belichick typically gets free agents later on when their price tags drop.

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Rams and Panthers had the same record last year, with the latter having a tougher schedule.  One of those teams was far more competitive in their playoff appearance than the other.

Rams are good, but this forum is jumping the gun on them similar to the way they did the Raiders last year.  I don't think they are going to regress like the Raiders did (however, I would bet that their offense isn't as good this year as it was in '17), but they aren't in a whole different category than the Panthers either.

I mean...okay, but the Panthers arent as good as they were a few years ago.  Not saying they are bad...jusy not the elite team they were on their SB run.

And while I agree about the Rams to a point, they are better coached and more well rounded than that Raiders team.  Too soon to call them a powerhouse, but in terms of pure talent and potential, they are near the top of the league.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I feel like the Falcons are actually sort of underrated. Sark was a garbage OC. I expect them to improve next year. Pack will be back. 49ers on the rise as well.

In terms of how I think there record will be compared to how they were last year.

NFC East: 
Eagles: --
Cowboys: --
Redskins: --
Giants: Rise

NFC North:
Vikings: --
Packers: Rise
Lions Fall
Bears: Rise

NFC South:
Saints: --
Panthers: Fall
Falcons: Rise
Bucs: --

NFC West:
Rams: Rise
Seahawks: Fall
49ers: Rise
Cardinals: Rise

AFC East:
Patriots: Fall
Dolphins: Fall
Bills: --
Jets: Fall

AFC North: 
Steelers: Fall
Ravens: Fall
Bengals: --
Browns: Rise

AFC South:
Jaguars: --
Texans: Rise
Titans: Fall
Colts: Rise

AFC West: 
Chiefs: Fall
Chargers: Rise
Raiders: Rise

I don't get the logic with some of these.

Ill be the first to point to out when the Steelers regress, but who exactly have they lost that causes them to fall?  Pretty much the entire offense is returning untouched, and the defensive players we lost were garbage.  You could perhaps argue losing Haley could hurt, but lets not act like he was a good OC.  Only reason its a concern is because we don't know much about his replacement.

I'm not sure who the winners are, but the losers are Indianapolis and New England. New England has lost a lot os production that they have yet to replace and what the hell is Indy doing? They had $72 million in cap space and haven't signed anybody. 

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not sure who the winners are, but the losers are Indianapolis and New England. New England has lost a lot os production that they have yet to replace and what the hell is Indy doing? They had $72 million in cap space and haven't signed anybody. 

I could see players not being thrilled with the idea of signing there. They are pretty depleted talent wise and Andrew Luck's future is a huge question mark.

30 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I don't get the logic with some of these.

Ill be the first to point to out when the Steelers regress, but who exactly have they lost that causes them to fall?  Pretty much the entire offense is returning untouched, and the defensive players we lost were garbage.  You could perhaps argue losing Haley could hurt, but lets not act like he was a good OC.  Only reason its a concern is because we don't know much about his replacement.

It's my opinion, you're welcome to your own. 

Steelers - I think losing Todd Haley will have a bigger impact then you think. Also 13-3 is hard to pull off in any given season, though it helps that they play in the laughable AFC, especially laughable AFC North. The North and East are pitiful.

Off the top of my head, I like what the Bills and Bears have done. I also like what the Rams have done via trades.

As a Browns fan, I'm happy with most of the moves we've made. Landry was a great get, as was Randall. Taylor for a third was a bit steep, but I can live with it considering the amount of picks we have. And he's an ideal fit as a bridge QB for a year or so. Wasn't a fan of trading Shelton for a third in 2019, but if they weren't planning on keeping him long-term, then I suppose it's better to get a third round pick for him rather than a likely midround compensatory pick a couple of years from now.

I didn't like the Hubbard signing at the time, but at the time I was also pretty confident that Joe was going to come back for another season. Now that he's retired, the signing makes a lot more sense as I'm guessing Coleman will likely move over to LT for at least this season.

I also wasn't a big fan of the TJ Carrie signing, but I feel better about it after reading about him some and now that McCourty is gone.

Hyde should also be a bit of an upgrade over Crowell. Fells is an upgrade over Tellfer.

We did overpay some of these guys, but the bottom line is we had to spend money this offseason. Also, I believe most of these contracts are setup that we can get out of them in a couple of years if we need to without much of a penalty.

No doubt that we've improved our roster in the past few days and we still have a lot of draft capital to work with to improve our team even more.

43 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I mean...okay, but the Panthers arent as good as they were a few years ago.  Not saying they are bad...jusy not the elite team they were on their SB run.

Well, yeah.  They were 15-1.  But they still went 11-5 last year, the same record as the Rams and did it against a tougher schedule.  So I don't get the argument that they are in another level than the Panthers talent wise, especially when I don't think anyone is going to say the Panthers coaching staff > Rams coaching staff.

Panthers have the better DL and LBs.  Rams have the better DBs.  Not too familiar with the Rams OL to give judgment there.  Rams have better WRs, although not by a huge margin.  Panthers have the better TE.  Rams have the better RB.  I won't bother creating a Newton/Goff discussion.

9 hours ago, Danand said:

The Ravens are by far the biggest losers so far. They've seem to have lost the OC, they didn't get any of the receivers or tight ends they initially pursued and instead the panicked and overpayed two wide receivers.

John Brown for 5M is not an overpay.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I could see players not being thrilled with the idea of signing there. They are pretty depleted talent wise and Andrew Luck's future is a huge question mark.

Then you throw money at them until they can't say no. Has anyone even heard about them pursuing guys or bringing them in for visits? It is like they haven't realized free agency started. 

Chiefs are one of the winners so far.

Upgraded QB position. Mahomes > Smith (you can debate all you want but Reid can get anyone to play at Alex Smith's level for 4 out of his 5 years in KC)

Upgraded WR position Watkins > Conley (Conley, another 4.3+ WR that was starting to show before tearing his achiles, moves to the slot) Watkins and Hill on outside, Kelsey on the inside and Hunt as RB. This offense may have the best set of skill players (in totality) since?NOTE: If can stay healthy

Upgraded CB position. Two above average CBs > 1 very good CB and a black hole at the other position. (Eric Berry will be back as well). Note: Peters refused to tackle for "business reasons"...or something like that. He also refused to press, which is a big part of Suttons defense. 

Upgraded ILB. Derrick Johnson was old and slow and a shell of his former self. Wish him the best. Hitchens, is a huge improvement that will pair with Ragland and can play in coverage. This will open up opportunities for Houston to rush much more as our clueless DC dropped him frequently because DJ was terrible in coverage. 

They badly need dline help and another safety. I'd also like another CB as they have only 2 legitimate CB's on the roster. Regardless, they are flying under the radar as far as team improvement, but this team is going to challenge for the AFC. They certainly have the makings building a young dynasty...only their punter is >30?. 

Archived