Who have been the winners and losers of free agency?

JAF-N72EX

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

On top of that, its probably not likely that the Vikings defense will be historically good on 3rd down either. Going with Keenum to save 10mil in cap space for 1-2 players works if you assume that everything continues to break right, no one regresses(especially Keenum), none of the big resign players gets hurt and cut anyways etc... I do think Cousins is an absolute upgrade so I can understand why some might not like it if they don't but most fans/media always view roster constructions purely in terms of maximum upside and fail to really account for how much variation happens year to year.

I think it's going to be even better. Richardson (as long as he remains healthy) is going to do wonders for our 3rd down defense and Zimmer double A gap blitz. Cousins should be good for a 5 or 6 more TD's through the air and likely a few more int's that Case through. With a healthy Dalvin Cook (fingers crossed) the only teams that compares imo are the Eagles and Saints.

The Texans revamped their OL at both G positions and RT, and brought in two strong components to their secondary in Tyrann Mathieu and Aaron Colvin (while retaining Jonathan Joseph to a more team friendly deal). They also brought in a gunner on ST in Johnson Bademosi and picked up Sammie Coats, who should push for PT against Bruce Ellington and Braxton Miller (who might be on his last legs as a Texans' WR). 

In doing so, the Texans really didn't break the bank on anyone - Colvin and Mathieu were both brought in for much less than CB Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler fetched with the Jets and Titans. Zach Fulton, Senio Kelemete and Seantrell Henderson we're brought in for about half of what the Giants paid for LT Nate Solder. The Texans paid a premium on Bademosi, but with the available cap, it's OK to overspend on a ST gunner (something that the team has ever had in existence - a legitimate ST contributor).

All this...and the team still has a lot of money left over for a Jadevion Clowney and Bernardrick McKinney extension. They also can bring in a handful of guys during the 2nd wave of FA (I'm thinking Adrian Peterson is on the list of guys to talk to. Somewhere in a prison in the Khalari region of Africa, APeterson_Texan is smiling). I'm thinking EJ Gaines isn't happening, but maybe a small push for Brashaud Breeland could be made? Or perhaps Kenny Vaccaro?

I'm not going to go as far as to say the Texans won - but they didn't lose, that's for sure. 

I think the Steelers are quietly winning in their own way. I'm not suggesting the best of all the teams in the NFL but both Bostic and Burnett allow this team to keep doing what they do. That is going to the draft with extreme flexibility and select the best player available not select a player based on their needs. I think in that way they are succeeding in free agency

On 3/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, Shady Slim said:

reckon you could bump up the steelers' standings now we got burnett tbqh, i'm happy with that very happy

Pfff...that's not even the Steelers best move. Getting rid of Mitchell made your secondary 10X better with just that move alone lol.

But yeah Burnett's a solid consistent player and defiantly an upgrade. Not great at anything in particular but solid in all facets. If Artie can get back to playing up to his potential, that's a good start in trying to revamp that secondary. I've never been a big fan of Haden but if he can stay healthy he's another solid corner that can certainly help. 

On 3/20/2018 at 3:32 PM, Shady Slim said:

reckon you could bump up the steelers' standings now we got burnett tbqh, i'm happy with that very happy

Perhaps, we'll see. Burnett was starting to show decline some. You think the Packers poor secondary would let someone they thought was still in his prime walk for that modest price?

* waits for Hyde and Hayward to be pointed out.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:45 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

*Insert my team as Winners*...

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

“My team was a winner...and our division rivals were losers”

Repeat

Is there a reason as to why you keep saying this? It's not like this thread is full of homer statements. From what I can tell, most people are pointing out teams that they're not even a fan off...so what's your point here?

I'll limit my views to the NFC North since that is what most interests me.

Bears fielded sub-SEC level WRs for much of 2017, so I love the added talent they threw in. They went into the offseason with no 1-2 WRs, their two starting CBs as free agents, and a lack of passrushers. They have added 3 solid targets (Robinson being a true number 1), retained both CBs on multiple year deals, and can focus on EDGE and OL in the draft. Keeping Fangio likely helped them want to remain in Chicago. Lynch looked like a rising star but fell off when Fangio left. I don't think he is anything to count on but bigtime potential on a minimal contract is a gamble I am almost always willing to take. He still isn't going to be the starter next year either though. Daniels is not someone I want starting of Trubisky goes down but he seems like he has been a solid mentor and sat behind some good (Smith) to elite HoF (Brees) QBs. 

Green Bay got Williams in a needed CB role, took a swing on Kizer that I feel they gave up too much (but I am not high on Kizer,  if he turns out to be Rodgers' heir then it was a borderline brilliant move). Nelson was aging but they added Graham who I expect Rodgers to REALLY get a lot out of. Wilkerson's signing was fantastic for them, I was hoping the Bears to offer more than that to try and lure him to us. While not a FA technically, they upgraded their DC with Pettine, who was my top choice if Fangio left. Looks like a damn good offseason overall.

Minny got the QB they have wanted since Favre dropped off, and got Richardson to add to an already dominant defense (him, Joseph, Griffen and Hunter might be the best front 4 in the league and the best MIN has had since Allen/Williams/Williams/Edwards were together). I hate both, bot both good moves for them. I don't think Cousins is ever going to be elite, but Shurmur seemed to know he got his magical stretch out of Keenum and wasn't hoping to have lightning strike twice. I was hoping for them to trade for Foles or think Keenum was a rising star, but they weren't stupid and got a very consistent productive QB. He should be someone I curse at for 2 weeks a season and with him, Theilan, Diggs, and Cook there is some serious potential to be coupled with that defense.

Detroit had the least impactful FA period, but to me that doesn't equate to the worst. Keeping Ansah was their top priority and they secured him. That's a win. They also avoided any critically bad signings/overpayments, and already have a solid team in place. Wilson and Toilolo to me are about equal to Ebron, who  thought was a disappointment. I really like the signing of Freeny for them though. He isn't a great player but Matt Patricia is going to get a lot of value out of him while installing the defense and terminology there. Ngata left but Williams could be a good replacement. He isn't as good vs the run, but Ngata has zero passrush anymore so he improves the defense there most likely. Getting Blount gives them a dominant short yard back who wears down defenses. If DET gets an early lead he can become a pain in the *** for a lot of teams.  They added the Bears' former LB in Jones, who can play all over but is much, much better as a run stuffer than a passrusher. I think Patricia gets a lot of use out of him, even if he never is an above average starter.

All in all, all four teams had good signings IMO.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Is there a reason as to why you keep saying this? It's not like this thread is full of homer statements. From what I can tell, most people are pointing out teams that they're not even a fan off...so what's your point here?

Agreed.  That kind of stuff happens alot, but this thread isnt that bad.

Archived